Aggressive rooster

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Aggressive rooster

Post by kenya » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Ok so I have a very aggressive silkie rooster to the hens, he rapes them and doesn't stop. Poor hens hide in the corner and he still pecks at them Any idea what to do to get him better behaved. I do have 3 laying hens, I call mean girls because they went at the last cockeral I put in with them and I had to remove the poor cockeral. Should I put him in with them to try and teach him manners. He is not aggressive with me, at least not yet. . I have removed the silkie hens from this boy after only a few minutes, I just couldn't have them beaten up.
He's a beautiful rooster and a rare colour in silkies (cuckoo) so I would really like some babies.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: Aggressive rooster

Post by Shnookie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:19 pm

Would reducing the amount of light they get help?

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:20 pm

I know you are an experienced poultry person, so You probably know best, I am afraid no aggressive rooster ever made it past the first "sex with out the dance" period and the one who tried made lovely lunch.
I think once they have that kind of modus operandi , there is probably no fixing that, he will be demure with the aggressive hens and go back to his offensive self with the silkies.
You may get him to breed with supervision, but you may not want his genetic contribution either.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:34 pm

supervised breeding would be my go to. remember that it only takes one breeding to have fertilized eggs for about 3 weeks. Otherwise i would be tempted to put him in with the horrible girls, just to teach him a lesson, but he will probably just go to his old ways when back with the silkies again....sigh
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:42 pm

Sorry, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but we were at our wit's end with our aggressive rapist silkie roosters, so they wound up in freezer camp. They weren't pretty - they just looked that way. Life in the coop has been positively serene ever since. Just the occasional "you are getting on my nerves" hen disputes, but honestly, much as it pained us to do it, so worth it. We toyed with the idea of rehoming them but decided we didn't want to pass on cruel roosters to anyone else's flock.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:02 pm

The onlly success story I heard was my "Charlie" australorp. He attacked a hen with chicks. I grabbed him up and called a neighbour I knew would enjoy him as slow cooker. As the neighbour arrived home his friend passed by and admired the rooster and said he would take him. His girls were layers in a barn with predator problems. They just ran away from the boy and apparently the chap didn't lose another hen because he was a good protector. I heard he recently died at 7 years. Unfortunately I don't see a SIlkie as a good protector for someone so I'm with @Jaye on the solution.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:52 am

My thoughts on this...I want my silkies to be happy, peasant, loving birds to each other and anyone who comes to visit them. Any rooster with that type of aggressive nature would
not be contributing to my gene pool. No rooster is that pretty or handsome, it's time to rehome!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:39 pm

RIP Rest In Pot
Attachments
30FE4F7A-46BB-4C80-96F6-73D53FA04853.jpeg
30FE4F7A-46BB-4C80-96F6-73D53FA04853.jpeg (19.97 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:41 pm

Ha! Ha! Ross. I knew that would be your solution, but I do believe this boy has potential to change. I haven't decided what to do yet, will let you all know but soup pot is not an option. I don't eat my birds. I'm thinking he needs a bigger territory and perhaps another rooster to help disapate or give him another focus for his aggression and to help him understand aggressive begets aggression. In truth 2 other roosters in with him may help.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm

Boys never change only get worse
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”