Free Ranging

More fake food

Post by Shnookie » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 pm

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: More fake food

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:03 am

I know where mine comes from, thanks Kyle!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:25 am

More Fake food for a Fake world
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:56 am

I noticed the Be Sweet fake honey in my local Loblaws in Kingston this week. It won’t help beekeepers or native bees since most of it is made from commercial crops that increase habitat loss and increase pesticide exposure.
In terms of using the label “honey” for these products, look at what has happened to milk, anything seems to be labelled “milk” these days, that except for being a white liquid, has no resemblance to it at all!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:18 am

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is just wrong. just PLAIN wrong. sigh. I'm glad i have my own bees. And hopefully we'll learn how to manage them well and keep our own bees.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Hmmm has Cheez Whizz got any cheese in it . Anybody know ?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:57 pm

i don't eat that stuff either @ross but hey, it does work well in mouse traps....hm.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:52 pm

I have never tried it and don't intend to start now. I have also never eaten a MacDonalds burger. Nobody believes me!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 pm

Where’s the adventure KB lol 😂

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:53 am

The last place I worked at made several processed cheeses. Some were in a block similar to processed cheese slices to a smoked process Gouda to a powdered Romano or Parmesan to the worst which was trim. The trim was the colour and texture of silly putty and sent out and used in other processed cheeses.

My Mum loved Cheez whiz but us kids hated it (though we loved processed cheese slices). I suspect she just got it so she could have it all to herself! Now I have a ravenous teenaged kid to feed I can appreciate finding things I like and those he doesn’t - mine is anything with nuts, he hates them so bring on the peanut laden cookies and granola bars!!

A lot of these cheeses are made to use up the trim and waste cheese products in plants. Some is collected trimmings from cutting blocks of cheddar or other cheeses and dealing with cheeses that are safe to eat but are out of spec or mouldy. You’ll be happy to know anything that hit the floor went to a mink farm!

We had a big blender which would mix up the waste cheese with other ingredients such as cheese and whey powders, butter, flavourings and colour if in the recipe. It was then put into the cooker and cooked to a specific temp and squeezed out into forms for block process cheeses or sausage type tubing for smoked Gouda. Some of the ingredients were actually real cheese but most just stuff to give it the qualities needed for the finished processed product and make it cheap.

Since I was in QA, I sampled all of these cheeses and taste tested them too and though most weren’t too bad I’m ashamed to admit the processed smoked Gouda was really good! This from someone who loves mouldy raw milk Artisan cheeses!

So, I guess it comes down to taste, it isn’t all bad though most of it is highly processed and if the waste wasn’t used in these we’d need a hell of a lot of mink to feed it to! Many of the powdered ingredients came from across the world which just goes to show how international these supply chains are for many of our processed foods, a waste product there repackaged and sent here to make processed products here...
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”