Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:19 pm

Friday April 2, 8 pm
on eggs and nutrition , may be interesting

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: CBC marketplace

Post by WLLady » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:41 am

i just read a story on the news where they tested all kinds of eggs and all different prices and housing conditions and organic etc and found that small farm raised eggs were slightly higher in vitamins and omega3....and a touch lower in cholesterol and that cheap priced eggs were pretty much equivalent to more expensive eggs lol
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:52 am

My local postmaster buys all of my extra eggs. He is Korean and he and his wife believe that if they consume things that had a good and calm life or was produced by happy, stress-free animals then the peace of the animal is passed on to them. They share my girls' eggs with family and friends. I have to say, that's the biggest compliment I have ever been paid regarding my chickens.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:47 am

Thanks Marketplace for doing a dis-service to battery hens :(.

Linda

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 pm

People were surprised to find that higher prices don't necessarily mean better quality. So much for transparency in Canada's food chain. I can understand biosecurity, but some people should be allowed, while following biosecurity measures, to go in livestock barns to actually see how the animals live. Commercial meat and egg producers who deny outsiders access make it seem like they have something to hide. Anyone can put a picture on a website or other social media and claim it is their own.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:33 pm

How about quarantine of folks going to “check” out barn . Would they do that ? I sure as hell don’t let anybody in my poultry barn or pigeon lofts and what gives people the right to go in your barn & inspect who are they . We have gov & egg board agency’s for that . More to it than ratings on W5
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:55 pm

I used to work at one of those places and it was disgusting! Government inspection was a joke and so much covered up. I was Quality Assurance and ran the Microbiology lab. The last straw was them trying to bully me to release something that wasn't OK. That was the day I threw the ket=ys at someone and walked out! The birds were treated like disposable garbage - awful. This is why we now have our own hens. I get that you can't have folks tramping all over though. Maybe we should get rid of the corrupt practices. BTW this happens in pharmaceuticals too with Govt. Inspections. Rant over.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:12 pm

I was in it too KB & know from experience that a lot has changed. In housing & how they are run . Always room for improvement just like in backyard breeders that have no idea what doing . Lots a problems on posts here that if you have chickens should never have ie my pet peeve is lack of ventilation & sickness & death from cramming caused by newbies not knowing animal husbandry before they put critters in harms way .slow deaths & illnesses . Lol my rant maybe over .
As my mom & ancestors said “ don’t throw the baby out with the bath water “ .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:55 pm

This is within the last 10 years.
I am horrified by some backyard types too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:25 pm

I made a spreadsheet from the info in the Marketplace article. I also found this from Egg Farmers of Alberta. It would be interesting to compare all these other amounts too.
Protein Essential for building and repairing muscles, organs, skin, hair and other body tissues; needed to produce hormones, enzymes and antibodies; the protein in eggs is easily absorbed by the body
Iron Carries oxygen to the cells; helps prevent anemia – the iron in eggs is easily absorbed by the body
Vitamin A Helps maintain healthy skin and eye tissue; assists in night vision
Vitamin D Strengthens bones and teeth; may help protect against certain cancers and auto-immune diseases
Vitamin E An antioxidant that plays a role in maintaining good health and preventing disease
Vitamin B12 Helps protect against heart disease
Folate Helps produce and maintain new cells; helps prevent a type of anemia; helps protect against serious birth defects if taken prior to pregnancy and during the first three months of pregnancy
Selenium Works with Vitamin E to act as an antioxidant to help prevent the breakdown of body tissues
Lutein & Zeaxanthin Maintains good vision; may reduce the risk of age-related eye disease, such as cataracts and macular degeneration
Choline Plays a strong role in brain development and function
Attachments
1.JPG
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Return to “Around the Waterer”