CBC marketplace

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: CBC marketplace

Post by ross » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Wow who’d a thought & I just like um for breaky & egg salad sandwich.
As the old Tuna fish man said to his son in a commercial years ago
“ I just want tuna that tastes good not with good taste “
Good stuff tho ..,,
Attachments
2456EFCB-87B5-49F4-8D4D-8C25F0EB5E7A.jpeg
2456EFCB-87B5-49F4-8D4D-8C25F0EB5E7A.jpeg (15 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:26 pm

@Killerbunny Wow! Was this in Canada? If so, then the system is broken. We need to make major changes. How about cows, pigs, goats, etc.? Just as bad? How about the SPCA? Can they do anything?
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:30 pm

@ross that somehow reminded me of my friend who ate her pet duck that her parents said was ill and died suddenly. She never stopped talking about it and she won't eat duck! LOL.
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 am

Yes in Canada.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:17 am

Finally had time to watch it yesterday, I am pretty sure we all knew egg is an egg is an egg, even if it has a brown shell ;)
it's the undesirables that make a difference and frankly when the yolk is lovely deep yellow because of sunshine and not from addition of Marygols , I am happy to pay premium price (although probably not $ 8)
The one thing that isn't measurable, is the things that are in those battery hens eggs, fed the cheapest feed available and avoiding those is also worth premium price to me.

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 am

I feel like marketplace focused more on the nutritional value of the eggs, than what people are really paying for.

I think very few people pay $8/dozen because they think they are that much healthier than $3/dozen eggs.

They do it because they are supporting people who raise their hens in a better way (ie. pasture raised & happy).

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:58 am

I thought that too. Unfortunately they often don’t really have time to delve into the nitty gritty of why consumers buy what they do and how producers tilt their production methods to give the perception of giving them what they want I.e. adding carotene to the diet to give the impression the hens are getting fresh greens when they see a nice gold yolk!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:22 am

Rossman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 am
I feel like marketplace focused more on the nutritional value of the eggs, than what people are really paying for.

I think very few people pay $8/dozen because they think they are that much healthier than $3/dozen eggs.

They do it because they are supporting people who raise their hens in a better way (ie. pasture raised & happy).
:iagree:
That's the part I missed, and @Rossman is right, now that we do not have our own, I was thrilled to find farm gate eggs on the next concession from me, and very happy to pay $ 5 doz, since that is what we charged and I know they aren't making bags of money.
I suspect the $ 8 per doz comes thru a middle man, not farm gate, so somebody else is taking a cut.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:58 pm

I think the $8.00 eggs were bought at a store, not farm gate.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:20 pm

Just basic economics these days, charge what the market will bear. Sadly, the convenience of going to the local big box grocery store to buy copacked free run or organic eggs from a large producer at inflated prices is worth it to sooth ones conscience.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Return to “Around the Waterer”