Christmas cake

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Christmas cake

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:21 am

"As a bonus, you could prepare your own turkey dinner without having to choke down Grandma’s traditional stuffed-duck “surprise” followed by fruitcake"
The above quote was in our local health unit piece in the Recorder when advocating staying virtual. I thought it was unpleasant and potentially hurtful!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:34 am

@Killerbunny yes, I agree, that is a hurtful generalization for the mere purpose of a cheap laugh. We could do with less of that in this world.
Anyway, as to fruitcake, until I met MJ fruitcake was only known to me as that cellophane wrapped odd tasting breadlike stuff the Lions Club sold as a fundraiser at Christmas. I didnt care for it and still don't. And the preservatives must be in high dosage to keep that product from turning green in the wrapper seeing as you cannot put real booze in it. When I met MJ her mom made this dark heavy brandy infused fruitcake at Christmas. It was a recipe handed down to her in her family and altho she was not a great cook and even a worse baker, this fruitcake she did well altho she was a little miserly on the booze. It didnt matter anyway as it wasn't meant to last and I truly liked it. It was usually made late Oct or so and had lots of fruit, nuts and whatever in it and very dark. MJ has taken over making it for many years now and is a but more liberal with the brandy which is a plus. Oddly enough, none of my daughters like it. Which is a bonus as there is more for me. The recipe makes 2 bread loaf sized cakes and one is for eating leading up to the season. MJ and I will settle in after a days work and have a small glass of sherry and a slice or two. One of lifes great pleasures. One thing she puts in which is her own add is pineapple. What a great idea that was. The biggest issue we have is staying away from the second cake long enough for it to survive til the big day, which in our home is always boxing day anyway.
Oh yeah, my youth was in a German household and fruitcake wasnt on the menu. Lots of different cookies and such and nuts galore but not fruitcake. So now I get the best of both worlds and I like it. :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:40 pm

I have been making the same fruit cake recipe for 20+ years. I am not a big fruit cake fan but this is a light and very moist fruit cake that myself and 90% of my family enjoys!! LOL
The recipe came from one of the Robin Hood little cook books that used to get distributed monthly by our postal carrier, they were like a monthly flyer back in the 80's.

Return to “Around the Waterer”