Unhealthy hen

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Unhealthy hen

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Today, mid afternoon, saw a hen wasnt doing so well. Just sort of huddled. Didnt move when I threw grain.

This evening at close up time, she was inside, still sort of huddled and eyes sort of half open. I picked her up to see if I could find anything.

She hadnt been limping or anything, but I found a bumblefoot on the side of the main pad, not on the bottom like usual. I picked it with my fingernails, mostly to clean it a little and see if I had to open it or what. And the bumblefoot core, like a small corn kernel just came out with the scab. Sort of filled the hole with antiseptic ointment. Set her down and she almost fell over. So I picked her up and set her in a nest box. Will see how she is in the morning.

So to my question: Is or does bumblefoot infection become systemic? What bacteria causes it? Anything else anyone else might have done? Thought and opinions are encouraged.

PS, I washed my hands after I came in.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Unhealthy hen

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:50 pm

I think that you've done eveything you can. Bumblefoot is caused by Staph.aureus infection. Yes it can become systemic but that is not common due to the poorer blood supply to the foot. I suspect something else may be going on. And as vets say "did you have a ritz cracker ready"
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 am

Dam I hate when they go and die on me.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am

If they breath they die , even vehicles . Sorry man . Always the favourites
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:40 am

Farrier, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:43 pm

@Farrier1987 thing is by the time they start to look sick it's normally too late.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:53 pm

It's a shame...sorry for your loss.......

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:48 pm

So sorry to hear this.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:07 am

Farrrier - Bumblefoot was included with our introduction to keeping hens. With ours, it is usually caused by a cut in the foot that gets infected. We're on a century old farm, and with that, there can be broken glass where the hens dust bathe. And I've gone through their yard with a metal detector and found old nails, bits of fencing, and other small pieces.
That was really good that the kernel came out cleanly and that you bandaged it. We usually bathe the feet in warm water, a bit of soap and Epsom salts, scrape out what we can, spray on Vetracin, then bandage the foot with polysporin, gauze and vetwrap.
Has your hen survived?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:44 am

Sorry farrier. But i doubt that was the bumblefoot. If they are hunched and just sitting eyes closed or half closed and not caring about being moved or anything, they're weak....very very weak and will go any time. It's usually either extreme old age, or heart failure or liver failure in my experience. I've had horrible horrible bumblefoot that never went systemic....in fact, it rarely goes systemic without travelling up the leg first at least a little bit. So my bet is something else was going on, and without an autopsy you will likely never know....but the ones that go on me that way are always either heart failure or some other organ failure. I'm really sorry.....its still sucks. BIGTIME.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”