Oh how I have MISSED you ALL! Life Update

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Oh how I have MISSED you ALL! Life Update

Post by baronrenfrew » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:00 am

8BB12C97-C2F3-4638-A67A-3CE51EA3EC87.jpeg
PP! I'm happy to see you have found a new path! It has been a painful time of change here as well. Our big dog Duchess (Doberman mix) died of heart attack (or was it heatstroke?) when out on a run this spring. That was the icing on a cake of two years of change - brother, father, father in law, and beloved aunt all passed; mom is now elderly and needs attention (and she's in front of the house); and two other dogs - Baron the Rottie mix and Jester a one eyed pug. Jester filled a room when she walked in and writing of her brings a tear. Her two children Merlin and Mollie are here but its not the same. Throw in a lockdown, and a blown left knee and its been a long summer. Only now am I on my feet and catching up on tasks.

We did get a new dog - Duke (royal names continue) is a shepherd x Husky and its a task getting him up to speed as a farm dog.

That's enough about me, my best to you in this crazy time.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:49 am

The house had a small 2 pc washroom with the kitchen as the entrance!
There was a half "Horizontal" (Yes u read it right) wall that allowed you to have a poop & also look out the window
The washrooms were last updated in 1970. Pluming was not vented properly.

I closed off the kitchen entrance which meant making a New entrance thru the Dining room
Tore out all the rotted leaking plumbing & made it a 4 pc washroom
It took me 3 days to install the subway tile / design
Hands needed a few days off & then I tackled the floor
That took me a few days to complete & killed my hands
So far the Toilet is the only thing plumbed in
Hope to finish the washroom this winter
2PCbathroom.JPG
0.jpg
:PTO: My NEW Life Motto for 2020 "DREAM BIG ~ SET GOALS ~ TAKE ACTION" :PTO:

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:01 am

Oh baronrenfrew, I am SO sorry to hear of all the deaths....what a terrible time you are having! Our dogs are like our children & the heartache is just as painful. You certainly have had a lot to deal with. Duke is a cutie. I was so connected to our boxer Loki. It was a hard adjustment to have neither Loki or my Ex in my life. 10 days ago I added a 6 yr old Chinese Crested dog into my household. I no longer have those moments of being sad or lonely. I am focused on trying to lead a Positive life thru this Covid / separation / new life. I truly wish you well baronrenfrew

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:10 pm

Looks like it's getting there! we had the same kind of nightmare with our basement. we didn't actually have eavestroughs....but the big O that they ran the piping through for the heat from the outdoor furnace (yes, you read that right-they ran the pipes through big O; and to top it off wrapped the big O in fiberglass pink, and wrapped that with saran wrap; yep...you read that right!). so all the water the melted north of the house was shunted into the tube and straight into the basement every spring! We had to dig down to find out what was going on....we had a giant hole cut in the basement wall where the pipes came through, and when we dug we found the interestingly insane big O mess....once we pulled that out, and filled the hole with gravel, viola no more water in the basement! And when we redid the siding and windows/doors we got them to put up seamless eavestroughing. SO NICE! no more getting soaked from water sheeting off the roof! and yep, it moves the water away from the house SO much better!

We woke up yesterday to drip drip drip in the front room....pipe let go in the bathroom upstairs. we have that crappy PET pipe because copper was too expensive for the people that built the place. so. thankfully we had installed shut offs when we moved in (because there were NO shut off on ANY of the water-not even a whole house shut off!).....DH just fixed that one this morning, turns out a thread gave up....so hopefully we're dry again in the house.....We'll have a bit of ceiling drywall to replace...but oh well.

Keep plugging away! It always feel great to do a job and get it done, especially if you did it yourself! It's a cute house!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Wow 49.5 years together and just like that it's done, must be very hard for you. Glad you got a dog you need some kind of company this winter. You could get quail if you want, no bilaw against them, they are great little layers, eggs are delicious and more nutritious than chicken eggs. You could keep them in a rabbit cage in the house if you wanted, have seen people do that. Good luck with your house, looks like lots to keep you busy.

Poultryprincess
Chatty Hen

Post by Poultryprincess » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 pm

To be honest Kenya, I noticed a shift happening in our relationship almost 15 years earlier. I kept thinking it would change back but the distance grew farther apart. When work, health, & finances changed, we had opposite solutions. As time went on it was obvious we wanted different things for our retirement. Home became a battle ground. YES it is hard bc I was 16 & he was 15 when we moved in together. "BUT" I Honestly feel Grateful for the Decades that we had that were good, Really good together. It was Wishful thinking to hope we could remain friends. poop happens

I tried to keep my 3 little showgirls, but a neighbor said she heard rumors that I planned to build a chicken coop. She told me of the new bylaw and poultry is Not allowed. $50 a day per bird fine. I Never would have bought the house if I couldn't have my birds, but "my bad" bc I didn't check it out myself. I even toyed with "well I Can get Pigeons" but damn How many eggs would it take for an omelette?

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:15 pm

@kenya you wouldn't believe what our Bylaw included, bees, the kids bunny etc. At one point we discovered they alsost included a ban on growing vegetables because of poor wording.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”