Question Leg Bands

General discussion forum.
ThePluckyHen
Newly Hatched Chick

Leg Bands

Post by ThePluckyHen » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:27 am

Hello all! I’m looking to get some leg bands for my birds but I’m not sure on sizing or where to buy. I have one Muscovy duck, one RIR/WPR mix chicken and two Belgian D’uccles. The band is really important for my Muscovy who has just discovered her ability to fly to the roof. Soon she’ll be able go farther though I really only worry she’ll do this if she gets spooked but I would like the leg band so if she does get lost and then found by someone she can be returned to me. Any advice?

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Leg Bands

Post by kenya » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 am

Most leg bands just have a number on it, which wouldn't help you get it returned. You need something more like a dog tag with your phone number on it. I suppose you could get a dog tag made up and have it attached to a leg band.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:37 am

Clip one wing flight feathers
FYI Muscovies are not long distance flyers but do like to fly to roofs . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:49 am

I would just grab that muscovy and clip the flight feathers on one wing only! The males will get too heavy to fly, but sometimes the girls don't. Just take the bird (wear gloves....and get a helper!) open the wing up and the flight feathers are the first set of feathers from the tip of the wing. Cut half of the length off all the flight feathers (the front set of feathers), the back set don't need to be clipped. Don't worry, they won't bleed, just take half the feather, you don't need to cut them really short.
and only do one wing. if you do both they'll still be able to get lift. After you are done, if they try to fly they'll flip around in a circle and end up back on the ground. I use this for escapee turkeys too (those buggers CAN fly distance!).....

if you do decide to go the leg band route, you'll be looking at getting custom bands made-usually of metal-with your name or address or whatever stamped into them. I haven't done that, but i do believe @thegawd got some made in the past, so maybe Al (the gawd) would have more info on where to get them made.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”