Oreka Solutions info rec'd for feed & black soldier fly

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Oreka Solutions info rec'd for feed & black soldier fly

Post by KimChick » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:46 am

Thought I'd start a new thread.
Below is the info I received from Oreka Solutions re: black soldier fly larvae and feed supplements.

Gallus comes in specific crumble sizes that can be fed to chicks from 1 to 7 days of age. That is where the product offers the most benefit as it is beneficial for gut health as well as generating better growth and feed conversion.

We sell live larvae but only to pet food stores and those are grown and harvested differently. For adult chickens, we sell a product called Snackyard, which includes dried larvae and they are used as healthy treats. We sell in 2 lb, 6 lb and 9 lb bags. The costs of that product starts at $19.99 for the 2 lb bag.

For Gallus we charge ~$22.99 for 2 lb of crumble. In terms of purchase, you are welcome to let me know if you would like to try some product. For the crumble, I would need to know what age chicks you are feeding to and then I can send you crumble size that I think works. In terms of inclusion rates, chicks should be fed up to 7.5% of their diet with this product. It is a supplement and does not replace conventional meal.

+ a contact name and phone# with encouragement to call. I wasn't sure about posting that here.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Oreka Solutions info rec'd for feed & black soldier fly

Post by KimChick » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:34 am

Yesterday I phoned James Alden of Oreka Solutions. He told me that they raise their own Black Soldier Flies and feed them a combination of pulp from kale, spinach, apple, and other naturally grown products. If I remember correctly, he said that they try their best to purchase organically grown products.

Here in Ontario, we are well aware of how much it costs to get the "Organic" label on products, which is passed on to the customer.

He directed me to www.snackyard.ca if I wanted to place an order for the poultry snack of BSF meal worms.
There is a 20% discount on the first order.
And he asked for some feedback regarding the product and how the hens like it.
So I will be anticipating its arrival.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:19 am

Interesting thanks for the info. I looked into Enterra in BC a couple years ago, as they produce a black soldier fly meal I wanted to use as an animal based protein source for my quail and other birds, but they were only selling in 500 pound totes , a bit more than I wanted.

That Gallus feed supplement might be exactly what I am looking for. I might have to contact them.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:57 pm

JimW wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:19 am
Interesting thanks for the info. I looked into Enterra in BC a couple years ago, as they produce a black soldier fly meal I wanted to use as an animal based protein source for my quail and other birds, but they were only selling in 500 pound totes , a bit more than I wanted.

That Gallus feed supplement might be exactly what I am looking for. I might have to contact them.

JimW
Gallus is not the Black Soldier Fly supplement; I think it is different kind of healthy feed. I could be wrong. James Alden had emailed me with a suggestion to let them know the age of the birds that will be given Gallus, if I was interested in that.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Got my Snackyard order today; it is the dried Black Soldier Fly meal worms.
Yay! The hens liked them; I mixed them in with their scratch.
I did a price comparison with Chubby and there is not enough of a cost difference, so I would order from Snackyard again.
Knowing that the farm is in Cambridge and that the BSF's are fed organic products is a big plus for me.

Epona
Starting to Crow

Post by Epona » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Once I’ve finished the lot I have from another distributor, I’m going to try an order from Oreka

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Since I gave them feedback, they sent me a "gift" to share.
When your friends and family use the code KIM20, they save 20% off their first order.
My hens love them; need I describe it anymore?

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 am

thanks @KimChick ! i've been growing and feeding mine mealworms off and on as i have enough mealworms....i got into it really as a bluebird feed in the spring thing. i just freeze all my extra mealworms (they're the darkling beetle larva) and put them out in the feeder while still frozen. I'll feed live to the chickens, but i make sure they clean them all up. I could see meal being nicer if someone doesn't want to handle the larva (it was a learning curve for me....i don't find them so gross anymore....mostly). lol @JimW a 500 pound tote!!!! go big or go home! LOL. if it's only fed at 7-8% of the diet a 500 pound tote would last a hobbyist forever!!!! or maybe 2 forevers!!!! LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:42 am

The live larvae tickle don't they @WLLady !
AT Science North one time I was handling a giant millipede that liked me A LOT and didn't want to go back. Tickled like heck on bare skin LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:45 am

i never understood how mealworms could hang on to the fingers well too. I'd find them on the back of my hand after thinking i'd gotten them all off......
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”