Chrysanthemum Warning

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Chrysanthemum Warning

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:11 am

Ok so I bought 2 large chrysanthemum pots for the front porch. After a few days I noticed one of them was looking like turkeys had been jumping on it as in previous years (sorry turkey birds I was wrong :oops: ). We are in a windy spot and to keep the blooms upright the growers have put a net for the blooms to grow through. It was only on one of them. Of course as the wind blows it breaks the stems of the blooms. This scared the crap out of me because the net was quite large enough for a chicken or turkey to get their foot caught and break a leg.
Just so you all know to check.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Chrysanthemum Warning

Post by labradors » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Yikes! That would be worrying!

I bought a plant this year, and then I read what we SHOULD do if we want these things to survive for any length of time. Because they are so big, they are root-bound and they are always grown in (nasty) peat moss - which dries out really fast. Apparently, they need to be watered every day, and they should also be dead-headed. Ideally, we should pot them up into a larger pot with more growing medium. (If I was in the mood, I would split mine into two, or four, and re-pot them, but I'm not really up for that). Having to bring one pot in whenever there is a frost warning is enough for me!

If anyone is interested in having more, I broke off a piece accidentally, stuck it in water, and it rooted in a flash, even though it had flowers on it!

Linda

Return to “Around the Waterer”