Done hatching

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Done hatching

Post by kenya » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 pm

So I decided I was done hatching beginning of July.

Think again!

, I guess the hens at the barn didn't get the memo. I go out today and there's one hen with 6 chicks, I search around find the nest and can hear more babies waiting to hatch. Also find another hen happily sitting on another batch. So I set the hen up by herself with her 6 chicks in a stall and take the unhatched chicks and power up the incubator to put them in. .The incubator needs some oil in the fan I guess and is making a horrible squeaking noise , my husband says he needs to replace the fan. The hen is a splash ameraucana the rooster is either a blue wheaten ameraucana or a Bantam blue ameraucana.
No one is separated because I didn't care to hatch any more. The other hen is a silverlaced Bantam Wyandotte, who knows what she's trying to hatch out.
I decided about 4 days ago to put some silkie eggs under a broodie silkie as one of my older and really good silkie hens is laying again and I thought I would like to see how her babies turn out with the rooster she's in with. The hen is broodie I thought ok I'll just let her hatch them out , no trouble for me. Yeah right!
I've seen a couple times where she's sitting there, stoned, eyes glazed over sitting on the eggs, but wait I see one egg is not underneath her and is cold. She's sitting on 7 eggs, lots of room.Ok she's a new broody, I push it under her. I check again the next day, there again a couple eggs are not underneath her, I push them under her, check on her later and there's another one out. Finally I take them all away and now they too are in the incubator. I'll have to wait and check them to see if they are even alive.
I hear the incubator even now wailing away, I have a couple other incubators perhaps I will have to bite the bullet and set one of them up.
Now that I have the incubator going I'm wondering if I shouldn't just put those dozen and a half silkie eggs in. I was going to sell them but you know might be fun to see what I get.
But you know I'm done hatching!!!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Done hatching

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Riiiight LOL! I am still reminding my turkey hen Kathleen that hatching ATM is a dumb idea, SHe is only a bit grouchy at being tured out now.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:20 am

I have hidden my incubators :)

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:24 am

Well I got the other incubator out and transfered the eggs into, 2 more chicks hatched out.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Here's a picture of the hen with her 7 babies, another hatched but dies shortly after.
Screenshot_20200919-142959.png

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Good girl - congrats!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Awwwwww, how cute....almost makes me want to hatch..........almost :)

Return to “Around the Waterer”