Automatic Chicken Door

General discussion forum.
Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Automatic Chicken Door

Post by Rossman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Happy rainy Saturday everyone!

I did not see a reviews section on the forum, so, figured it would post this up here. Feel free to delete or move it if this isn't the right spot ;)

We bought and installed a "Ladies First" automatic chicken door for our coop and it is great (or, at least appears to be thus far). It runs off standard rechargeable AA batteries and comes with a solar panel to keep them charged - but the thing I really liked about it, is that the door operates on a screw drive, which means wily predators like raccoons cannot just slide it up to get into the coop (other brands I found simply pull a string up to raise the door - not secure!!)

The solar panel itself is also what controls when the door opens and closes, so it closes naturally based on light levels (just like chickens head in to the coop naturally as the light levels fall)

The door is...well, what most would probably consider to be insanely expensive, I think it was $269 for it with the Canadian shipping option - but I don't regret the expense at all, they are made by a small business in the US and it is a quality product.

Installation was super easy, it comes ready to go! All you have to do is hold it level, screw it in place (the four mounting screws are pre-set in the frame and ready to drive), then connect the solar panel and override switch, drop in the batteries and that's it! It's also made of aluminium and pvc so it will stand up to the elements over time, and not rot out or rust.

Anyone else use an automatic door? Post up your favourite brand!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Automatic Chicken Door

Post by ross » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Pics please . Do you have it set for dark then go check if all birds are in or what kind of management is needed . Thx in advance
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:47 pm

My husband is an electrician and has promised to build me one of these for -oh I don't know- probably 7 years now 😆
Same idea as you described-solar with battery back-up. In fact he toyed with the idea of making them for sale and I could travel around to all of the poultry shows and swaps to sell them. Like that wouldn't be my dream job! I will need to remind him that he needs a prototype first.
Thanks for the review @Rossman

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:47 pm

@ross , here's the website:
https://www.ladiesfirstchickendoor.com/
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:08 pm

@ross Here's a picture of the door installed.
ladies-first-installed.jpg
I opted to put it on the inside of my coop, but it can be mounted outside (and probably most people do).

I found that my chickens were well inside by the time it wanted to close by default, so the following day I waited for the chickens to go in on their own and get roosting, and then waited a bit more, then set the close light level (press a button on the control panel at that light level).

It is still new so I don't know how this will work long term, I hope it works well, if it does not I will wire up a raspberrypi to replace the override switch and use that as the brains for when to open and close it.

I looked at a bunch of different automatic doors and this one, on paper anyway, seemed to be the best of the options. Only time will tell how it works out.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:55 pm

Thanks man looks good
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:11 am

We were thinking of such a door, but since we round up the hens back into their fenced yard (after hours of free ranging), they either sleep in the coops or even outside on a hot day.

Jenny d
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jenny d » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:57 pm

I bought an "Ador" chicken door from the states 6 years ago, and it still functions daily. Like yours it has a photo sensor and opens in accordance with the level of daylight, and has a wheel and sprocket that opens and shuts the door so it can't be lifted. It runs on a 6 volt battery that I change once a year. I wish your husband would have created one and sold it here. I couldn't find a comparable product available in Canada.
And after exchange, duty and shipping, I think i was over $400. Well worth it to know my birds are secure and not have to be home every evening at dusk or up every morning at dawn for the last 6 years though. Still, pretty hefty price for such a simple device.
I want all the chickens :chickennet:

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Interesting, I hadn't seen the "Ador" brand door - interesting design! Looks like it costs about the same as the Ladies First.

Giffen Farms
Starting to Crow

Post by Giffen Farms » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:02 pm

Happy wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:47 pm
My husband is an electrician and has promised to build me one of these for -oh I don't know- probably 7 years now 😆
Same idea as you described-solar with battery back-up. In fact he toyed with the idea of making them for sale and I could travel around to all of the poultry shows and swaps to sell them. Like that wouldn't be my dream job! I will need to remind him that he needs a prototype first.
Thanks for the review @Rossman

If you ever do get into production I'll be your first customer 🙂
What day is it, Christopher Robin? Its today Pooh, my favorite day!

Return to “Around the Waterer”