2020 sucks

General discussion forum.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

2020 sucks

Post by Shnookie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Well, besides all the virus and weather issues now my computer is broken. I hate using a cell phone for internet and email. It takes a lot longer. We had a thunderstorm July 23. My house was hit by lightning. No fire, thank goodness, little damage to house and belongings. All critters and myself are fine. The electricity came in on the outlet for the TV and broke the power bar- TV ok. It also came in through the phone line. Wrecked the access point outside for the phone line, which then cooked the USB ports in the computer. Somehow the power surge broke the charger for my cordless phone and broke the timer in the fridge. Lots of hassle and expense now to deal with it.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: 2020 sucks

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Oh boy! A neighbour in UK had that happen and it caused a lot of damage because somehow it went through a pipe and caused flooding. Glad you and the critters are OK.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:26 pm

Shnookie wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:17 pm
Well, besides all the virus and weather issues now my computer is broken. I hate using a cell phone for internet and email. It takes a lot longer. We had a thunderstorm July 23. My house was hit by lightning. No fire, thank goodness, little damage to house and belongings. All critters and myself are fine. The electricity came in on the outlet for the TV and broke the power bar- TV ok. It also came in through the phone line. Wrecked the access point outside for the phone line, which then cooked the USB ports in the computer. Somehow the power surge broke the charger for my cordless phone and broke the timer in the fridge. Lots of hassle and expense now to deal with it.
Wow, that sounds a bit scary

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:42 pm

I agree that sucks, lots of extra expense and inconvenience.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:40 am

Oh my gosh! Glad you are OK!

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Ouch! What a PITA! Glad that you and the critters are all ok!

Linda

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:49 pm

oh no!!! i'm so so so glad everyone is okay!!!! and YES its a huge hassle!!!!! we were hit one year a few years ago-it fried EVERYTHING except the POS furnace and dryer (the 2 things we really needed to replace...). EVERYTHING else needed to be replaced. We ended up going through insurance because it was 10000s of dollars. then 2 years later we were hit again and had to replace the transformer AGAIN. at least we had a whole house surge protect in and it just blew 200$ of that....and not the entire house/farm again.
good luck with the hassle....and i'm glad you are okay.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:30 am

This has been a bad year for me. I lost both of my parents - not at the same time, and not from Covid. My oldest house cat died and my male dog died. I still have things to fix from the lightning strike. I decided not to put in an insurance claim because I have a high deductible and the cost to replace and fix things wasn't high enough to warrant the increase they would add to my premium. All the expense is mine. In September I found out the heat exchanger on my furnace had several cracks and has been leaking carbon monoxide. I don't know how long it had been that way. No one was getting sick from the carbon monoxide so I think it hadn't been a long time. The new furnace was almost $6000.00. I nearly had a heart attack. It definitely wasn't in my budget. On top of all this my dugout that supplies water for the property is getting close to empty. I had some water hauled from the city and put in it, but the dugout is so big it didn't raise the level much. I expect to have water issues this winter. Chickens are all doing fine. It got really cold here early in the fall so the Seramas are back in the house again. I really think I need to move, just don't know where to - not the city for sure.

I think it's going to be a long winter.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:15 pm

:hug: @Shnookie I am not going to complain about one thing for the rest of the year after reading that. I'm so sorry for all of your loss.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Hang in there @Shnookie things will get better. Very sorry for all your loss as well :hug:

Return to “Around the Waterer”