Coyote

General discussion forum.
labradors
Head Chicken

Coyote

Post by labradors » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:45 pm

I was out, sitting in the shade at around 2pm when I heard a noise. I looked behind me and saw a coyote walking towards the chicken run! I got up and walked towards it and it saw me, did a double take, and sauntered off.

The chickens were in a fenced-in area which is not coyote-proof, so I ushered them into the covered run so that they are safe. I guess they won't be able to go back out on the grass for a while now as I'm guessing that the coyote has some young to feed and will be back!

Linda

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Coyote

Post by ross » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Yep
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 pm

The only predator attacks I've had were coyotes in the middle of the day. Once about this time of year and once on Boxing day. Both times I confirmed coyotes because they came back every day for at least a week trying to get another meal. Be very careful for the next while! Better yet get their pen coyote-proofed if possible. My chickens don't get out of their pen without both dogs outside and us home.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:45 am

we have foxes in the culvert under the middle of ny driveway....sigh. and thankfully the horse kills yotes and my chickens rarely go past the horse fence....tis the season
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:49 am

How long does the season last? Our chickens want to go out on the grass...…

In the meantime, we are looking into getting an electric fence.

Linda

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:16 am

So here's my experience and I may be wrong. I live in a high coyote population area. It seemed that once they discovered a food source in my yard they visited often to see if there were any free samples available. I've seen them clear a 5' fence no problem. I used to free range every day. I wish I still could. But when I'm not here they are in their safe pen. They're used to it now. I'm convinced I wouldn't have any chickens left if i hadn't switched to this way of chicken-keeping. They have a good size coop and a safe, roofed pen. As for how long coyote season lasts...about a year in my experience lol.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:27 am

The same here, although the "free range" has 4' fences, it really wouldn't keep a fox or coyote out, so the only free ranging happens under a human supervision.
I have chased foxes and a coyote with a broom couple of times, and it
seems that a sight of an enraged old woman with a broom was enough to keep them away from further visits, but there is always the next generation...

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 am

If possible in your area a livestock guardian outside dog is the best bet if still want to free range .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 am

We have found that electric fences don't do anything for racoons or skunks, the fur is simply too thick for them to worry. Our fence was strung at 6" and 18" but we don't bother now. :xfingers: we have't had coyote trouble but a husky that killed a lot of our birds a few years back went clean over the fence into the hayfield.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:10 pm

KILL! KILL! KILL!
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Around the Waterer”