Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Celebrating Bird Day !

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Lucky you!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Blizblaz wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:08 pm
The whippoorwills have been calling!
Here too, haven't had one around in years, the dog is feeling very suspicious about it, I keep telling him it's a bird and he keeps giving me that "likely story" look ;)

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue May 26, 2020 7:27 pm

Birds are slowly coming here. I now have barn and tree swallows, brown thrashers, yellow warblers, more ducks and geese, meadowlarks, eastern and western kingbirds, grackles, doves, and blackbirds. I saw a raven attack a female mallard duck in long grass the other day. The duck fought back and the raven left. I don't know if the duck was nesting. I didn't want to go look and disturb her if she was there.

I got a picture of some grackles and one western kingbird chasing a raven away from the yard.
IMG_2229.JPG
The hawks and owls that were here have left. Too bad, the baby gophers have hatched already.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 am

A week back driving to work I saw a grackle attacking a low flying turkey vulture and it actually landed on the vultures back for a few seconds, quite something!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed May 27, 2020 3:50 pm

We have Baltimore Orioles here, they sing so sweetly.

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Wed May 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Kingfisher every day

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Shnookie wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:27 pm
Birds are slowly coming here. I now have barn and tree swallows, brown thrashers, yellow warblers, more ducks and geese, meadowlarks, eastern and western kingbirds, grackles, doves, and blackbirds. I saw a raven attack a female mallard duck in long grass the other day. The duck fought back and the raven left. I don't know if the duck was nesting. I didn't want to go look and disturb her if she was there.

I got a picture of some grackles and one western kingbird chasing a raven away from the yard.

The hawks and owls that were here have left. Too bad, the baby gophers have hatched already.
Schnookie, I have been in Ontario 9 yrs now, and love it. But I grew up out west, the birds you are talking about I know most of them The call of the meadowlark. That western kingbird snapping at bugs in flight. The hawks (Swainsons mostly?) going after the gophers, and the young gophers so stupid. The warblers. Thanks for twigging some nice memories.

I have orioles and cardinals and doves and robins and redwing blackbirds nesting.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu May 28, 2020 2:30 pm

I have bluebirds nesting in a box on the hydro pole in front yard. They are my favorite by far. There's a kingfisher living in the ravine beside my house. Although beautiful to watch his screeches get really annoying after a while. And the Orioles in the morning with the windows open are enough for me to wish for air conditioning lol. There at least 3 nesting pairs visiting my hummingbird feeders. I have tried several varieties of Oriole feeders but they prefer to pull the bee guards off of the hummingbird feeder and guzzle it lol. Then I have to go on a hunt for the bee guards. I've also got a bunch of very shy northern flickers. They are loud until I go out to get a look at them and they quickly disappear. Finches are going to eat more Niger seed than I'm willing to supply. I've seen a red breasted grossbeak a few times but I think he spends his days in the ravine. And the king bird sits on top of the apple tree over-seeing his kingdom...such an appropriate name.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu May 28, 2020 3:15 pm

I've seen the red breasted grosbeak here as well, such a pretty bird, wish we had more.

Return to “Around the Waterer”