Finds you forgot you had !

General discussion forum.
modern17
Starting to Crow
Answers: 1

Finds you forgot you had !

Post by modern17 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:12 am

During these days of social distancing and self isolation many of us are finding our selves going through stuff.. as my wife says.. " this will be one of the most thorough spring cleanings on record at our house" lol.... As I was going through one of my many display cases of " Poultry Memorabilia and Old Awards " I found two that were very neat collectables. I challenge others to post some of their favourite poultry related items . Sharing is caring .. and remember we are all in this together.. so we can be together again at some point. Anyway.. see two of my favorites.... First is a Modern game bantam cut out ( wood) made and painted by Brad Blankenship of Ohio... The Second is one of my all time favorite awards... a Castlebury Pewter plaque . Bobby and Eilleen Castlebury of Texas are dear friends of mine who also bred and exhibited modern game bantams. Bobby was a master wood carver whos work is still highly collectable . Back in the 80's and 90's he put his artistic skills into producing awards ... the modern in this award was hand carved by him and liquid pewter was poured into a mold to produce this award. Bobby is in his 90's now and no longer does these awards. I have a few others including a smaller leghorn . Very cool and rare .. I feel honoured to have won them. I look forward to seeing some of your collectables. Stay safe.
Attachments
Brad Blankenship Moderns cut out.jpg
Castlebury award.jpg

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Finds you forgot you had !

Post by Brebis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am

Those are absolutely beautiful @modern17! What a wonderful way of presenting an award rather than the stock ones that are common now, much more meaningful and priceless.
Thanks for sharing those.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 am

They are beautiful and keepsakes for sure.

modern17
Starting to Crow

Post by modern17 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 am

Here is another neat one from my collection . This is the podium plaque from the 1927 World Poultry Congress held August 1927 in Ottawa Ontario Canada. This event was a big deal back in the day , with it being bid on much like the modern day Olympics are now... it was held every 3 years back then and was hosted all over the world. Modern day this event is now domiciled in Atlanta Georgia and is held yearly and caters mainly to the commercial industry. Back in the day it was both commercial as well as an exhibition poultry event.If you go on to YouTube and search World Poultry Congress 1927 you can view a short black and white silent film on the event. Highlights are several dignitaries and members of the Royal family and other important people of the day. As well several breeds from the live poultry show are presented and noted where they came from ( Exhibitors from all over the world) Even has a quick scene of game chickens sparing on the Lawn of Parliament Hill ( remember this is from a different time) ... Just a neat piece of Canadian Poultry history. I received this plaque from my good friend and fellow poultry memorabilia collector Bob Choate of Texas. Not sure where he got this piece from but glad he shared this with me
TL
Attachments
WPC1927 (2).jpg

Return to “Around the Waterer”