How are you using all that free time?

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

How are you using all that free time?

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 am

So now that we are all doing "our bit" by staying at home, how are you using all that extra time?

Apparently it's difficult to learn to play violin from You Tube, so barring that, now what?
I can only cook so many gourmet meals before I will not fit thru the door,
the garden is under 2 feet of snow,
the library is closed,
the dog doesn't want to go for more then 10 walks a day....

beside counting you chickens before they hatch,
Any suggestions????

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: How are you using all that free time?

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 am

Go to the Cannabis store since it is apparently an Essential and then you won't care!!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am

Sleep & hunting works for me , fishing soon . Once freezing over I’ll put my rollers out in kit boxes again & start flying um . Being retired for 8 yrs & not a lot a extra cash isolation has basically been a way of life for us cept on few show /sale or family get togethers so fairly easy to adapt & modern personal communication devises make it adaptable if u have . Luck all
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 am

ross wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am
Sleep & hunting works for me , fishing soon . Once freezing over I’ll put my rollers out in kit boxes again & start flying um . Being retired for 8 yrs & not a lot a extra cash isolation has basically been a way of life for us cept on few show /sale or family get togethers so fairly easy to adapt & modern personal communication devises make it adaptable if u have . Luck all
I must say I fired off an e-mail today Thanking my oldest son for dragging me kicking and screaming from my happily "Luddite" existence in to the age of computers, which in the Eighties seemed like an unnecessary toy, and has now become a survival tool, who would have thunk. :type:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

Free time? what free time? lol. all my courses need to be adapted for online learning for the college, I have papers and protocols to be written for the university.....I have animals.....i have cooking. cleaning. vacuuming. sleep (ha!). lol. working out...physiotherapy to do (on my own now because i won't risk my physiotherapist). walking in the woods, seeds to start....a garden to plan. a new herb garden to build. animals to take care of. hatching to do. mealworms to look after.....ha ha
i'm NEVER bored. and there's NEVER spare time hahahaha!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 am

I’m employed at an essential business, cheese processor, so still working full time. Secretly hoping we might shut down for a period of time so I can tackle a list of things I have and want to do.

I’ve wanted to get back into making my own cheese and have ordered supplies and picked up a small fridge to get going, now just need the time! It’s been lonely since my DH passed away and I need lots of distractions to keep sane. Luckily I’ve always liked making and doing things so that helps but most need large chunks of time my work schedule doesn’t allow at the moment especially since Phil’s not around to do the day to day things too.

Looking forward to getting the garden going and getting the anxious broodies hatching some more Blue Hamburgs and mutts too!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:16 am

I actually don't have much extra free time than before the Covid-19 pandemic took hold either, because I'm working from home. The morning commute time is used up sleeping in a bit before my work day starts (that extra hour really helps when you have chronic insomnia). That only leaves an extra hour and twenty minutes at the tail end of my work day, again thanks to not having to go into work. That means I get to walk the dog a bit longer, and have a little extra time to mess around with growing stuff indoors. These days the world feels really upside down to me, so it's grounding to be able to grow things, even if it is on a very small scale. I also get to spend a bit more time in the chicken run and in the quail tractor. :yippiechickie:
Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 am
Go to the Cannabis store since it is apparently an Essential and then you won't care!!!!
@Killerbunny , I guess the same reasoning applies for keeping the LCBOs open. ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Wish I had free time, I'm a nurse, so work for me. Plus I have babies, lots of work with babies. Have to rush home check on the babies get everything clean, make sure everyone is doing well and correct any problems
IMG_20200324_144824.jpg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:11 pm

kenya wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm
Wish I had free time, I'm a nurse, so work for me. Plus I have babies, lots of work with babies. Have to rush home check on the babies get everything clean, make sure everyone is doing well and correct any problems
IMG_20200324_144824.jpg
We applaud you @kenya , keep healthy!!!

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:29 pm

No real free time here. In between farm/poultry duties and work, I spend most of my time vainly trying to psyche myself up for work or trying to sleep after work. So, business as usual LOL. Richard has been bored though, and so has been busily chipping away at various projects like repairs on the truck and sectioning off a fresh section of field for the calves. Next up is cleaning and fixing pens for piglets that are coming end of April. It's a nice, welcome change to see things actually getting accomplished without ME doing them, no matter the unfortunate reason for it! He's freaking out a little and is a bundle of nervous energy as a result, so is staying pretty busy. AND, instead of his usual objections, he's actually ENCOURAGING me to set eggs in the incubator, his reasoning is to reinforce our food supply. The shoe is now on the other foot as I am the voice of reason for a change, pointing out that we just overwintered about 200 birds, including an unknown (but stupidly large) amount of unnecessary males...but I am not protesting too hard roflmbo . The turkey eggs are fertile for the first time since year before last, the geese have begun to lay, and I daydream about the peeps and trills of baby birdies to cheer myself up :dance:

Return to “Around the Waterer”