What type of Rooster to add to flock...

General discussion forum.
Jenny d
Newly Hatched Chick

What type of Rooster to add to flock...

Post by Jenny d » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:31 am

Hello all,
I just moved to an area where I can add a rooster to my backyard group of 9 hens.
I have 2 easter eggers, a lavender orpington, a welsummer, a belgian d'uccle mix and 4 silkies.
I was thinking of adding either a silkie rooster or an easter egger rooster to my flock, but I'm worried that if I get a silkie my big girls will be mean to him, or if I get an easter egger rooster he'll be too big for my silkies.
Any advice on what to add? I was also considering separating my bigs from my littles, but I'm not quite there yet in terms of housing.
The other question is whether to pick up a young cockerel, a mature fellow, or get one of my silkies to hatch some eggs...
What have others had work or not work?
Anyways I thought pondering this might be a pleasant distraction from the real world right now.
Thanks.
I want all the chickens :chickennet:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: What type of Rooster to add to flock...

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 am

I am going to assume the Ester egger has some Ameraucana in it, and they tend to have a bit of an attitude.
I think a good silky rooster doesn't know he is just a little fellow ;)
Introducing ANY new bird in to your flock brings with it it's own set of complications.
Yes a lovely and pleasant musing on a foggy day :)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:14 am

Bantam roosters have absolutely NO idea that they are small so can often get the job done!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 am

No matter what, it’s has to be as good to the people it lives with as well as its girls! Nothing worse than a nasty rooster!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 am

I have both, a Silkie Rooster (Harold) and an Olive Egger Rooster(Oliver).
I also have both big and little girls in with each Rooster. I have found over the years that the Silkie Rooster thinks he's a 'big fella'. He tries with the big girls....they think it's funny. However, when Oliver tries with little girls, it's not pretty. I often step in and put an end to it. I would go with a good silkie rooster!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:08 am

If I were in your shoes, I would try an in-between size before I would have two roosters. I think that would mean a bantam?
We have a standard Barred Rock rooster; he is fairly big. He seems almost too big for our standard Red Sex-links, but he is a good fellow, always on guard for the hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:32 am

One benefit of getting a silky rooster I forgot to mention, it will give you an opportunity for at least one pure breed, where adding EE only leads general confusion and mutts :2cents:

Jenny d
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jenny d » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:39 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:32 am
One benefit of getting a silky rooster I forgot to mention, it will give you an opportunity for at least one pure breed, where adding EE only leads general confusion and mutts :2cents:
This is something I have been seriously considering, and I think will be the tipping factor.
I spend so much time and energy on my flock, I have been thinking that I should maybe be aiming for something higher than just making mutts, and the silkies are favourites of mine. Perhaps I will sally on over to the "for sale" part of PTO and see if there are cockerels or hatching eggs close to me.
I want all the chickens :chickennet:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Yes a silkie would be nice with that group, I'd give you one but you are too far away unless you come up Stratford way.

Return to “Around the Waterer”