Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by Bayvistafarm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Its been a tiring day.

Went to Paisley to take a vacuum and a few supplies/pot of soup to my parents. Mom is 75, early onset Alzheimer's... and hasn't a clue.. and forgets everything you did the second you said it.. or did it... and and and.
Dad is almost 81 with severe COPD and Emphysema and I think could care less. With what he puts up with, from my mom, I think hes ready to go. Anywhere. Sad. I WASN'T going to go in, but honestly she frustrates the hell out of me, and it was easier to take the GD liver I brought and a Costco chicken pie to the freezer downstairs. Put the soup in her pot outside.. but then she just couldn't find a pot at first to put it in.. it was in her hand... and lid was right beside her. I just put the lid on it upside down after filling it, because it wouldn't fit on the fridge shelf the other way, and she kept going in the fridge and saying it didn't have a lid......

I ran out to my vehicle... opened the door with my sleeve, and doused my hands in purell after I wiped them with a baby wipe. They think I'm crazy. We stood on the porch, they just inside the door. She kept wandering off.. puttering, he yelling at her to come visit her 'kids'... and finally I just had enough, and said we had to go. SO FREAKING SAD.

Other than that, the drive up there and back was nice. Got ONE coffee each at Tims.. and I spent 5 minutes babywiping/purelling the lids and outside of the cup, LOL. And let them sit for another 5 before we drank it. NO food. Took our own.

A kid (grown) of a neighbour called me today. He got a little prefab chicken house... likely from TSC or somewhere, and wants 2 chickens. Cannot find ANY anywhere. Pullets Plus in Elmira, no order too small... has none.. and told him no other hatchery will be able to accomodate him. Seems people want hens for eggs/food. He begged me to sell him 2. And will give me $200!!!!!! I told him $60 for 2... but hes going to give me at least $100.. and I bet he gives me $200. Has all this set up, and wants them for his kids mainly. Everyone being housebound and all. When they grew up next door, they had hens/goats/horses/couple steers. I am going to feel like a shithead if he actually insists I take it, and I do. On the other hand, it will buy more feed, LOL.

This virus sucks. I feel like I'm not doing anything, because my bus driving job... a whole 3 hours a day.... was such a routine... and the pittance of money helps. Mainly its the feeling of NOT DOING ANYTHING!! Even tho there is aplenty of 'jobs' here. Thank goodness that gardening is just around the corner. Just a wee early to pull leaves off of beds... but soon, so perennial crowns of stuff doesn't rot.

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:27 am

If Canada had the population the USA has we would be in far worse shape then they are. They had the strongest economy in the world to get the ball rolling on defeating this virus. I'm glad Trump is there, not afraid to make instant decisions. When he first blocked travel from some countries the world called him racist. His team of doctors and scientist are some of the best in the world. Large corporations will listen to him. And yes his approval ratings are higher now then before this crisis.
We better all hope he can keep the economy from total failure too or else there will be far more die world wide from suicides, lack of medical funding, starvation and a host of other reasons. This would likely cause many more deaths than the corona virus will.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 am

It doesn't matter how good the scientists are, if their advice isn't taken and acted on.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 am

Amen Longcrow , not time for partisan politics. Time for facts .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 am

My thoughts time to worry about our house . Old saying “if yu live in glass house don’t throw stones “ JMO
Attachments
144C5205-2496-4376-8333-62A6582D5ECB.jpeg

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:36 am

I'm with you on that, LongCrow, and you too, Ross! Love that cartoon.
Both DH and I were raised in families that did not depend on the government for financial help. Too many of our younger folk have the mind-set that if they get into financial difficulties, the government (or their inheritance) will help them.
I know this is political, but recently, our current government tried to sneak in an addition to the money being allocated to help people - the part that gives the current government new powers.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm

so i'm reading that the backlog in testing is due to not enough labs. for crying out loud....how many research labs have PCR machines and people that know how to do them?!??! Geez....that's a staple procedure for people like me. lock me in my lab and give me samples and reagents and I'll fill my 3 machines as fast as I can. but nope. we aren't "trained". I teach the people that are training to do this! (insert helpless head shaking here). I'm going outside to clean a coop. the sun is shining and my blood pressure is just going up....i don't like trudeau, i like trump even less. kudos to the conservatives for stepping into the fiscal almost-disaster.....and let's all hope that we are not taxed out the yingyangs for the next 10 years to pay for this.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:04 pm

I hear you @WLLady . When I was working in a food company this kit was standard and the training wasn't hard.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Rossman
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Rossman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Not worried here at all, we are taking the recommended precautions.

As for all the political talk, I thought this was a forum about chickens!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:13 pm

Times they are a changing

Return to “Around the Waterer”