Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:34 pm

I know it's not about poultry, but it's about the poultry keeper, or really any animals that might depend on their humans to be in kept in feed and water and generally good form.
How much do you worry?
Have you changed your behavior in any way?
Are you planning to?

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by kenya » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 pm

I worry a lot, I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. I worry that I'll have enough feed for the animals, I'm hoping that the production of feed won't be effected. I wonder how far it will go, it has already changed the world. I wish people traveling to and from other countries would use some common sense and not feel so entitled to their rights that they put the rest of the population at risk.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:00 pm

I can see poultry shows,sales get together's being cancelled for a few years maybe even banned until they find a vaccine or it runs its course. Sad really, just hope it doesn't get worse in Canada.
I'm already avoiding high traffic areas like malls and some stores and restaurants.

Jenny d
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jenny d » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:15 pm

Both my DH's work and mine are preparing for people to be able to work remotely from home. There are signs on the doors requesting anyone who is ill to not enter. First case in Simcoe County happened today. I think we will be riding this out for a bit. Does anyone remember how long SARS lasted?
:-(
I want all the chickens :chickennet:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm

We don't worry much at all. There is not enough info out there yet to make predictions. Also notice that Medical spokespeople are lying through their teeth. Example: the guy from Ottawa was saying that if you don't have symptoms you're not infectious - OH yes you are! In the common cold you're infectious for 3 days before symptoms show. The virus is there but at lower levels and not shedding quite as much. The worrying thing is the idiots in charge and the denials. We don't go out much anyway so social distancing isn't problem LOL. BTW the aerosol from a sneeze isn't an issue since the droplets are too large to be inhaled via the bronchioles, the issue is the droplets being deposited onto surfaces and then carried via hands to mucous membranes.
I worry more about reemergence of H1N1 & H5N1.
Be safe all!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Thanks for starting this thread OC. I have been thinking about it. I am rather opinionated and maybe shouldnt be, as I am not a health professional or scientist. So everyone can disagree with me if they want.

First, I dont want to get this, but I am not worried about it. Every year there is a flu strain, I think this is just another one, except this one had a known beginning point.

The mortality rates for this flu is about 1%. When it started, it was reported much higher. But there were many more cases than reported, people felt flu like symptoms for a few days, then got better as with most flu's. They did not go into the statistic pool because they had it and recovered without being diagnosed.

Mortality, who is at greatest risk? As with the seasonal flu's, those with other medical conditions, the old and the quite young. So a healthy robust individual should mostly get sick for a few days to a week, but recover and probably have immunity to this strain in the future.

I do not believe there is any way on Gods green earth that this outbreak can be contained. Like popping a balloon, that air is never going back into that place. Its out there and part of our world biome. We are not going to contain it. Some people are going to get it and be very sick, others might only feel off for a day or two and not know they had it. most will be somewhere between.

The incubation period is about 5 to ten days. So if I have the active virus and spit on you, five to ten days from now you will have a full blown case, whatever full blown means for you. If you were just having chemo, or have CPOD or are a premature baby, I dont like your chances. But I didnt like your chances with whatever flu strain is going around this year anyway.

So, in summation, I think this is being overblown and the quarantine isnt going to make a darn bit of difference, If you get it but are in reasonable health, you will be sick for a few days. What am i doing about it for me? Going about my normal business and not licking door knobs. This whole life is a crapshoot and we play the odds. I mostly like my odds for this one, if I get it or I dont.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:24 pm

We were told to work from home today. An email message was sent yesterday evening by Emergency Communications System indicating that a staff member is being tested for the COVID-19 virus, but at the moment it is not a presumptive or confirmed case.
Am I worried? A bit, yes. My DH has several health issues that may limit his ability to fight this particular virus effectively if he should be exposed to it. Fortunately we don't go to movies or large gatherings or crowded shopping centres much. The freezer is full because we have been stocking up long before this pandemic hit, so that's why I'm only a bit concerned ... but because there are people in our society who couldn't be bothered to practice basic hygiene practices, such as washing their hands, there's still a risk of unwittingly coming into contact with the Covid-19 virus.
Yes, it's much like any other seasonal flu for those in general good health (except that there is currently no preventative vaccine for it), but I for one would rather not get sick if I can avoid it, or even worse, pass it on to someone whose immune system is compromised/underdeveloped or has other underlying health issues.
What I am very concerned about though is the effect this pandemic is having on the Canadian economy, and the global economy for that matter.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:12 pm

so....i know some people in some important places that are involved in this whole thing.
it is going to get worse before it gets better.
i worry because
1. people can have it and spread at least 3 days before they know they are sick.
2. people who are very weakly ill may not know they have it and spread it far and wide.
3. it is more contagious than the flu.
4. people between the ages of 40 and 80 are the most susceptible.
5. the death rate is 10% if there is cardiovascular disease. 7.3 percent with diabetics. 6 percent for people with high blood pressure. approx 3% for normal healthy adults.
6. there is no vaccine. antivirals are ineffective.
7. 15% of people get severe disease-requiring ventilation. there are not enough ventilators for that number of people. other countries are triaging and those they think may live get the ventilators. this is pushing the death rate up.
8. people are panicking and being stupid. this is respiratory. not needing copious quantities of toilet paper!
9. 50%of people do not wash their hands thus capable of leaving virus around for anyone else to catch.
10. 70% of people do not stay home when sick.
11. our health care system is already overwhelmed. people will go to the hospital instead of calling the health unit to come to them. spreading it all the way.
12. people can feel better and still spread the virus up to 14 days after being better....

am i worried? yes. i work in 2 places both where spread will/might happen fast. i am immune compromised with health issues and recent heart surgery. i am in the age bracket. and people around me are being stupid. i work in a level 2 lab-i know how to protect myself but if my coworkers et al dont do the same i will be toast.

i am not worried for me as much as my elderly parent with cancer. or my other parent just recovering from cancer surgery suffering an infection. i have a full freezer and eggs and chickens and turkeys and the ability to take care of myself. but the panic i am seeing....is unbelievable..the stock markets....the panic buying....i want to get away from the crazy people i want to hole up at home...112 acres of alone with hubby and wait it out. but that is my employers decision. so we wait....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 pm

well said, @WLLady .You listed all the things that concern me too.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:42 am

I had to pick up a prescription at the Superstore last night and there were massive line up with carts of - yup- toilet paper!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”