Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:30 am

Loved the Dr. that was oon this am commenting on how Canada will get vaccines after the US. He just said that was good because we could see what happens there first! I 'm with him but I thnk he must have escaped his cell to make comments like that.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:44 am

@KimChick yes, you test positive for the virus and it is in you, and even in quarantine you are shedding it and have the potential to give it to others. Even if you don't get sick. So the "sick" part is actually the body's reaction to the virus. The runny nose, the sore throat, the vasculature effects (if you get them) they're all the body responding to the presence of the virus. Those people that do not get "sick" or are asymptomatic (no symptoms but still have the virus) fit into 2 categories-1) those that beat the virus off, and kill it before they get symptoms or 2) those that the body don't recognize the virus, they are spreading it, but don't have the sickness that goes with it (superspreaders), that will get symptoms later that can range from very mild to severe (and includes those with such mild symptoms they might think they just have allergies). So if someone tests positive they DO have the virus in them. they can spread the virus, even if they do not feel sick. But over time the body will take the virus and kill it, "eat" up the parts if you will, and they will test negative. Problem is, RNA from a virus like this can stick around a long time on the cells of the body especially if it's outside the cells, before it gets destroyed, and the test would still pick it up. So someone might keep testing positive for weeks....even though they aren't technically spreading the virus anymore. And then there's other people that test positive, and are still spreading but the virus has found a balance with the body and the person no longer "feels" sick. The good news is this virus seems to be settling into a typical more flu-like spread....more so in the first 10 days of having it.....so the latter cases are getting rarer and rarer.

The vaccines will be available in early 2021. That isn't the problem now. The problem is getting it rolled out so that people who want it can get it. I've been trying for 4 weeks to find the regular flu vaccine. ha ha ha. guess i'm not getting it this year. i cannot find it ANYWHERE that i can get to to get it. We are going to have problems with availability early in the year. then we are going to have problems with actually getting it to the people! the first vaccines need 2 doses 2-3 weeks apart. so the first group get it and then that blocks up all the new doses in 3 weeks because those people need to get a second shot. so all the appointments in 3 weeks will be gone. What i would LOVE to see them do is have a vaccine for those that want to get it, packaged in 2 vials. the first is administered then and there. the second is sent home and one person in the household is trained to do the injections (it takes literally 10 seconds to teach someone how to inject themselves). and the second dose is done at home. Get the first group off the list for appointments for that second appointment. Those people that want the vaccine should want it bad enough to do the second shot correctly in the right time frame without needing an appointment. Also, get those vaccines into the hands of EVERYONE that can inject anything. Farmers inject animals all the time, vets, doctors, nurses, pharmacy staff, you name it, people like me that work in labs and have injected animals....giving an IM injection is not hard! If we rely on doctors and nurses to give these shots they're going to be so overwhelmed that we cannot possibly get half our population vaccinated in any reasonable amount of time.

The other issue will be with people like me that are picky about what vaccine they get. You aren't injecting me with unproven nanotech, thanks. killed virus, sure, but not nanotech RNA. Sorry, not enough known about it for my liking (as a molecular biologist-i understand RNA folding....and it's potentials.....). There are people that should get this vaccine-the elderly. Their lifespan is such that any adverse effects would happen well after they're gone, protect them first so they can live out their natural lives. Save the doses for the kids for a proven safe vaccine like a killed virus, or an adjuvant-protein combo. not nanotech. not until we have long term study data from nanotech in people, not just in rats and rabbits and mice. The nanotech vaccines should also go to those people that will die if they get covid 19. because it's life vs death. bypass patients, COPD, cardiovascular at risk, transplant patients, those that just absolutely cannot afford to get covid 19. But again this is just my opinion.....but i see the roll out as the problem. not the amount of doses...there are at least 3 companies now with acceptable vaccines that will all have doses available in early 2021....it's now the logistics of how to vaccinate the population-and not everyone, even just vaccinating the people that WANT the vaccine....it's going to be a huge number of people, how do we get it to where it needs to be!?

The other thing I am now very scared of....3 hospitals in my area are going down for admissions and procedures because of staff-staff transmission of covid 19. Where does that leave people who NEED care? I have family with cancer needing followup and that ward is now closed to everyone. if the other rod breaks....do i go where i will likely get covid 19? or do i not go....? awesome choices. scary situations. and i'm relatively healthy in comparison to some people that NEED care or they won't make it. What a choice to have to make. sigh.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks Kathy good to hear it from someone other than CBC & gov .
Any idea where or if I can purchase N95 masks since sounds like we will be sucking hind tit after the US & Europe get it . Hmmm maybe the bugs will be worked out by the time it gets to us & we get the right one . Remember , tie a knot in the end of your rope & hang on tight .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:35 am

@WLLady DH has a few solutions.
1. Self injection not a problem, we used to have to do our own blood draws on ourselves at Porton because you couldn't use other peoples blood for some tests. Injections are routinely done by diabetics, cancer patients etc.
2. Get the old school nurses out of retirement with their blunt needles. They would use one needle on multiple kids. Would need to make sure the needle is blunted on a brick just in case.
3. Use one needle (and syringe) per family. Reduce the risk of infection from blood borne disease by titrating upwards from youngest child to the adults.
4. Get the EPIPEN manufacturers to kick in some research as there is likely to be a syringe shortage.
5. What happened to he compressed air gizmo that was developed at Porton in the 70's for mass injections (OK the secret is out now so if I disappear they killed me).
6. We will try some poultry IB vaccine although Merck states that there is little cross-reactivity between strains. How much can we screw that up?

:eek:

We are currently testing out the protective effects of red wine but don't want to start a run on it so won't publish results, however we are happy in our little chicken/turkey bubble.

On the flu vaccine front we just got an Email from our Family Clinic saying that this weekend will be the LAST flu clinic of the season since they can't obtain further flu vaccine.
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:43 am

HAHAHAHA! Love it! I think my early vaccinations (by the school nurse) i even saw one of those special "needle sharpening bricks" on the desk LOL.
There is some evidence that people exposed to poultry coronavirus may have some immunity to covid 19.....i'm not saying go and get your flock infected with a reportable disease and then go and wallow in the pen....lol.

I don't see why gargling with spirits of the liquid kind couldn't help LOL. after all, it tastes better than listerine!
So i remember that air gun vaccination machine. it looked nice and painless in the trials (dripping, oozing with sarcasm). after all they have them on star trek, so....
oh, and most farmers have used needles already kicking around. I'm sure i have enough here for my neighbourhood.....especially if i use the brick method-i have lots of bricks. ah yes. i could do a preventative dunk in hydrogen peroxide and make sure to get some of that injected as well for good measure, that should prevent any nasties from getting in.

oh, and a syringe and needle don't get contaminated if you don't draw anything UP from the patient. right? Just making sure....because then the one needle/syringe could go a LOOOOONG way. especially with a brick.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:53 am

The air injector was developed for use on squaddies anyway and I guess if you really want the vaccination "suck it up Buttercup"
Mutt chickens for eggs

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:45 am

I hope you can find a flu shot soon @WLLady, I scheduled one at our local Rexall but it was cancelled but a week later had a routine pap at my doctor’s and scored a shot there!
I too have spent many years stabbing a variety of lab and farm animals and would be happy to volunteer my services!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:13 am

I said about 50 pages ago I would not comment on this thread as I was ostracized for my comments.

Forgive me for commenting now but I just have to comment on the self vaccination for second shot thing. All the early vaccines require real cold temperatures for storage so that is not an option.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:47 am

@LongCrow the Oxford one just needs regular fridge temps and since I keep my poultry ILT vaccines there we should be OK.
On that note @WLLady I wonder if intraocular route would work? The virus itself would be easily transmissible that way too.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:18 am

I reckon you could probably train the bovine AI techs to transport and give the one that requires -60C storage, they have a liquid nitrogen network already!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”