Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by kenya » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Well I think you need only look at what happened to New York to see it is not blown out of proportion.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 am

I don't want to start a whole uproar here but the figures can be interpreted in many ways and the public doesn't have access to a lot of breakdowns I'd like to see. Apparently many variations in symptoms and severity weren't recorded in the early days, they just went down as COVID
On a personal note an old colleague from the UK was diagnosed with an aggressive prostate cancer a while ago. When they locked down in the UK early in the year his out patient treatments were put on hold although how chemo and targeted therapy is "elective" I don't understand. It has now spread and he is looking at a couple of years if he's lucky. He is part of the collateral damage of COVID shutdowns in hospitals.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:41 am

I am always interested in listening to statisticians, since they deal with numbers separated from emotions.
With the deluge of numbers thrown at us, one that seems to not come up very often, is that while we are patting ourselves on the shoulder how much better we are doing then US, according a a prof. whose name now escapes me, per capita numbers in Canada accept for 3 or 4 States are worse then US.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:20 am

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
https://www.statista.com/chart/21176/co ... tal-cases/
https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid ... cases.html
For your edification. Take care on the numbers because some stats are per million others (canada) per 100K.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:17 pm

There's lies, damn lies and then there's statistics...I got asked a question the other day in conversation that I didnt have an answer for...If you test positive for the corona virus Covid19 and get sent home to isolate in quarantine for 14 days, what happens to the virus in your body?...I mean outside the body the virus is doomed in a relatively short time but won't it just do it's thing IN your body? Even if you don't get sick yourself isn't the virus still within you?
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Sounds like a Simbeit (spelling)
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Here are DH's numbers. Of course, they are always changing and some #'s have been rounded.

7.8 people per one thousand of Canada’s population will die in 2020, with approximately 40,000,000 in our population; 7.8 X 40,000,000/1000 =312,000 This 312,000 is Canada’s deaths predicted for 2020.

The total number of deaths in Canada “reported” due to covid is 10,000+. Actual case numbers continue to rise, so; 10000 / 320000 = 0.0315 This represents 3.15% of the total deaths in Canada from covid.

Good news……We have a 96.85% chance of passing from something else (perhaps the vaccine?).
From: https://www.statista.com/statistics/443 ... in-canada/
and https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/C ... death-rate

From those sites, I did my own arithmetic with the numbers given and got 3.9% of deaths are due to covid - not a lot of difference, which means we have a 96.1% chance of dying from something else.
The BIG question is, "Why is this being treated like a plague?" Don't get me wrong, I will continue to wear my mask and wash my hands and keep my distance... only because I am not sure how strong the next person's immune system is.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Tom - Your body would create antibodies for that strain of the virus. Just like the common cold that we can get over and over again because the virus mutates.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:47 am

KimChick wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 pm
Here are DH's numbers. Of course, they are always changing and some #'s have been rounded.

7.8 people per one thousand of Canada’s population will die in 2020, with approximately 40,000,000 in our population; 7.8 X 40,000,000/1000 =312,000 This 312,000 is Canada’s deaths predicted for 2020.

The total number of deaths in Canada “reported” due to covid is 10,000+. Actual case numbers continue to rise, so; 10000 / 320000 = 0.0315 This represents 3.15% of the total deaths in Canada from covid.

Good news……We have a 96.85% chance of passing from something else (perhaps the vaccine?).
From: https://www.statista.com/statistics/443 ... in-canada/
and https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/C ... death-rate

From those sites, I did my own arithmetic with the numbers given and got 3.9% of deaths are due to covid - not a lot of difference, which means we have a 96.1% chance of dying from something else.
The BIG question is, "Why is this being treated like a plague?" Don't get me wrong, I will continue to wear my mask and wash my hands and keep my distance... only because I am not sure how strong the next person's immune system is.
Like i said..statistics...lmao
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:55 am

Statistics mean bugger all if it’s you or a loved one . I was reading an article about what can & has happened to those who survive the virus . Google up COVID LONGHAULERS . Worse than any flue I’ve heard about
Stay safe. For the safety of all we’ve canceled Xmas get togethers here . I’d hate to be the reason , cause of someone in my family getting it or others .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”