Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by ross » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:37 pm

Never thought I’d ever get to wear a mask in a bank without getting arrested. 😆
What will be will be , I’ve made my peace .✌️
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:03 am

I'd like to hear Kathys comments on the 45 cycle amplification. Seems like not terribly useful except to traaumatise folks who aren't infectious by picking up debris? Not explaining myself well @WLLady
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:38 pm

So as I understand it the standard is 50 cycles consisting of a denaturation and combined annealing/extension step. it is really hitting it with a hammer. I can understand the who wanting to hit it with a hammer to detect as many cases as possible-especially if the testing swabs are done by different people and differently....but still. every extra cycle increases the potential for false positives by primers sitting down elsewhere if the annealing temps are off even by a half degree too low. i hope the conditions were tested extensively.....I also question doing real time. a standard pcr would suffice....however-with real time you can make sure that your primers sit in the first couple of cycles so you know they didnt misprime early in the program....but 50 cycles will saturate the reaction.....as long as the negative controls are negative and the positive controls are positive I dont really see a problem with 50 cycles except its overkill and takes 2x as long to run as 25 cycles which should still give the answer.....
and with testing backlogs....well...i would think finding the average cycle number to get positives (about 30-32 usually) should increase testing capacity....and not appreciably change the false negative rate....
honestly...i would switch to regular pcr (which can be done in just about any machine....heck i did my first DNA amplifications in grad school using 2 waterbaths and a heat block)....and 35 cycles with separate annealing/extension temps and a built in RT step first (because you have to go from RNA to DNA for the viral RNA first before it can be amplified). pump through samples 384 of them at a time inthe large plates-pooling 3 individuals per well.then if a well is positive them test those 3 individuals separately from the remaining extracted samples. 3 times the tests in the same time....and then delays only for suspected (positive pools). one could even pool 5 samples in areas wherr the virus is not circulating as much, or in asymptomics that are worried about exposure...or standard testing for health workers etc...those symptomatic would never be pooled....and areas with high community spread also would not see pooled samples.
anyways...just my thoughts....as a molecular biologist....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:03 pm

As a country boy haha clear as mud but sure hope your right , I think lol
Thanks Kathy
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks @WLLady you explain it well!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:19 pm

Apparently SUNY at Syracuse is using pooled samples for the students.
Mutt chickens for eggs

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:05 pm

My opinion:
We now live in an oxymoronic country. There is a mad rush for a vaccine for a virus that will probably mutate before one is found. People will die, not necessarily from a/the coronavirus, but from complications that develop on top of their existing illness(es). But only the fact that they contracted THE virus will be reported as cause of death, hence exaggeration.
The Flu is a virus; viruses are all around us. This is not the Bubonic Plague; that was bacterial.
So our country wants to save us from getting sick, but if we do, there is always euthanasia. THAT is the sickness. It is our country that is ill.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:37 pm

well just saw Trumps ramblings about how great he feels. I'd love to see how he feels a few days after the dexamethasone wears off. That stuff is brutal. Feel great when you're on it and the craash is nasty! I sincerely hope nobody takes any notice of him.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:39 pm

OK so the world is totally insane. Looked on the Ottawa Citizen site for the new restrictions (we aren't affected) and found this in the main body of the article. Not only should you wear a mask when having sex with strangers but now this advice is given.
" Hello. Some of you might be wanting to engage in the sex this weekend. Please be safe & #BeCOVIDwise:
- stick to sexual partner(s) you live with (or consider virtual sex)
- wash your hands before/after sex
- use a condom
- avoid kissing/sex if you’re sickhttps://t.co/PxggNSqLqN pic.twitter.com/vVWerNz4Xm
— Ottawa Public Health (@ottawahealth) October 9, 2020"
I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone. Anyone else?
Mutt chickens for eggs

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 pm

Ok...the curmudgeon in me got his goat grabbed...this covid thing is getting too stupid for words..i am not trying to down play the severity of the situation this crazy assed virus is causing but really...anxiety issues?..get a grip..grow a pair...whatever the euphemism might be that fits..follow the guidelines, stop fretting about not being able to go to your favourite restaurant...its easy..its not the end of the world and for the love of everything holy, try really hard to stay away from the elderly people in your lives if you can...aside from wearing a mask when i go into those necessary shops from time to time, my life is relatively unaffected...i know, i know, I sound harsh but all this moaning and groaning about how bad it is, is getting my dander up..I have never really known true hardship..and I can pretty well surmise that this isn't it...my folks went thru a war, getting bombed on...watching friends and neighbours die...doing without virtually everything ...and we see real suffering almost everyday on the News from virtually everywhere in the world...our media doesn't help..daily logging of numbers like its a lottery game...imho it has become a game in a sick sad kinda way...just pay attention, stop balking at those reasonable suggestions by the public health folks on how to stay safe and just stay safe...i will
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”