Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:25 am

Is anyone else having problems sleeping these days? sheesh. I'm super stupid busy with both work places....i think i just can't turn my brain off. So here i am, up at 1am marking papers. gah. anything BUT reading the news. last night's nightmares were about everyone dying. argh! i guess that comes from having 2 very high risk people in my family....one that is beating all the odds with stage 4 pancreatic cancer (and still going....4yrs!) and the other that just had surgery and WON'T STAY THE F HOME! argh! The one will die because someone else is stupid. The other will die because they're being stupid. and what can i do about it? not a darned thing. gah. and that is why i'm up at 1am marking papers.
and it's also because i was up all day writing a paper for my other job and didn't have time to get these papers marked.....haha.
i would say i need a life, but apparently i need vacation. what i really need is to spend 2 hours cleaning out a coop and working off the frustration!
maybe friday afternoon. turns out now everyone wants to have teleconferences and zoom meetings and all that. They all live in town with high speed internet. They already know i am likely to drop out, or disappear, or have a power outage, or break up or something. lol. good old rural high speed ain't coming this way any time soon.

Only problem i've had is the horses getting too many treats from the neighbours. We'll need to grocery shop tomorrow (eeek)-DH said he'll go and he'll get in and out and back home and i'll sterilize it all and put it away while he's washing his hands and steering wheel LOL. I've had MANY requests for birds....so much so that i caved and put on the incubator. I found 2 guinea eggs today too....will crack them tomorrow and see if they're fertilized. have several muscovies in the incubator, a few turkeys (i need to process some turkeys soon-maybe this weekend....too many boys out there), and a smattering of chickens. mostly my newly developed rhodebars and welbars.

guess i'll go and spend some more time on that paper i started writing.....still not feeling like sleeping.....might be an all nighter tonight.....just because.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:43 am

JMO here. I think a huge problem is the media hammering with their stories and changing programming to have so much coverage and "information" often confusing the issue. So many people live highly connected lives this becomes an overload. We just leave the TV off because the constant stream of COVID19 doesn't help. Trying to carry on a "normal" life and having this thrown into ones face all the time slows adjustment. I was talking to a neighbour who is a nurse in mental health dealing with addicts. SHe said that this is becoming a huge issue for them, she isn't allowed to wear a mask to interact with them because it upsets them, since she has a toddler this isn't great for her. Also for the folks who have kids who need to learn online in this area life is very difficult. Not everyone has either enough or any computer to do online learning because so many are rural and, like you, have slow internet even if you can afford it. Much of the media help is directed at people who are certainly not lower income. Apparently ODs in our area have gone up.
A starnge thing I have noted for myself is that even though I very rarely leave the property anyway, DH has always had to do the groceries, I suddenly get flashes of "but I WANT to do the groceries". Stupid I know but real. I get over it real fast when I think of the store anyhow!
I also try to think back to Hong Kong flu which I had and you are too young to remember. Late 1960's no media to whip up a frenzy.
Anyway - hang in there and talk to the critters, they have a much better perspective on things.
Just had a further think on this. I believe not sleeping is normal under stress, when I was diagnosed I was the same but once treatment started I was OK but we are more tired than normal and sleep MORE. We've gone from 5/6 hrs to 8. May be a different manifestation of stress?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:44 am

I have definitely reduced my radio listening, although I am normally a News hound, we seem to be hearing no other news then covid, as if nothing else is happening in the world.
We have streamlined shopping to a smooth system of everything ordered on line, and now IGA has a "no touch" pick up,
You order on line, are given time slot, drive to a designated location, open your trunk get back in your car and phone them, and they load your groceries and off you go.
We have put a table blocking the steps leading to the house and so far everybody got the massage and deliveries are left on that table.
Now that I think of it I may never shop for dry goods any other way, no chance at impulse buying that way.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:26 am

It’s gotten more stressful for me as my Mum is in Providence Manor in Kingston and one of the staff on her unit has tested positive. We were told she had a fever on Monday but was better late Tuesday. She is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer’s, and isn’t expected to survive much longer but this all means we can’t be with her which has put a lot of stress on my Dad who would visit her daily but can’t now.

Though tough to discuss, there are many in these homes who are at the end of their lives and though distressing, their passing in these circumstances is often a blessing. Mum was a nurse and did a Masters in Geriatrics and worked and taught in these facilities. When she was diagnosed, she knew what her fate would be and as it progressed got more and more distressed. The staff have been wonderful and I admire their commitment to caring for the residents under such difficult times. They are overworked at the best of times.

No matter what, I know whatever happens she’ll finally be at peace and we’ll remember her with love. It’s all we can do to keep sane....and it’s spring, the sun is shining and things are coming back to life.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:43 am

@Brebis it must be especially tough for you. I know they will be able to make her as comfortable as possible.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 am

Brebis .. HUGS 🤗 from afar . ❤️
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 am

You’re a great bunch here and hug back at you, Thanks!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:43 am

Stress on top of stress @Brebis sending good thoughts your way :hug:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:26 pm

@Brebis You have a wonderful attitude, god bless you and your mom.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:44 pm

@Brebis :hug:

I lost a cousin last night....he passed at 2am...they all live out in the barrie area, and he was also sick with a neurodegenerative disease. A blessing honestly, but still. Sigh. My sister wrote to say they have a pile of positive people in their neighbourhood because they couldn't practice social distancing...so far her family is okay, but she's got a diabetic, and 2 asthma people in the family. And my mom's followup for cancer was still on as normal, but no visitors allowed, so i am sitting here, nervously awaiting an email saying she is back home and safe... :gaah: my dad's chemo treatment this week was him, in a room, by himself for 5 hours without any cellphone connectivity and no company.....at least he had a book with him. saw a nurse to hook him up and unhook the IV. that was it. 5 hours.....and no visitor allowed with him. For his own safety, and we appreciate that, but that was a tough 5 hours. :sighke1:

And now Mr. presidiot has decided that everyone in the world must send PPE to the USA and they will not send to anywhere outside the USA. That man will single handedly kill his country. because the world will stop helping him. and then they'll be in more dire straits.

just managed to do a virtual meeting for my other job....the lab job. Interesting! strange to not see them every single day, honestly. Weird to know that normally i spend more time with them than with my own family, and there they all are on the internet LOL. somehow feels like things are capable of being a little more normal.

So my guess is end of july now for maybe getting to some normalcy by then...maybe.

it's sunny here, i'm going to go and clean that coop out that i should have done earlier this week.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”