Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by TomK » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:48 pm

OMG!!...i cannot believe the people that are whining about being stir crazy...doesnt anyone have a hobby anymore or is it only shopping that people do...I for one, wish I had less to do ...soo many things need doing around here and I am still working so finding time for the home stuff is a challenge...and trust me, I WANT to do the home stuff...its where my heart lies but it pays poorly..lol...and just what is it that people did with idle time imposed on them in days gone by...I am quite sure that it wasn't making inane instagram videos with an underlying "look at me, aren't I amazing?" undertone...i cannot look at another one so I am weaning myself, rather quickly mind you, off Facebook...its getting to be too vapid for me and god forbid you go against the flow and actually express an opinion...so bye bye Facebook in the very near future...maybe tomorrow...got some eggs in an incubator that was foisted on me...wonder how that will turn out...finishing the basement finally...its a project to be finshed by xmas so theres a place to play for the expanding family...but in reality i willl do it merely as a way to FINALLY get that snooker table I have been drooling over for the last while...anyway...self isolation seems to be working...the press is all doom and gloom and numbers that frighten people...my folks are housebound except for a weekly trip to the grocer which my dad won't give up...the bummer is i cannot go visit...oh well...stay healthy folks...be kind...forget facebook...i will :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:06 pm

I think I have earned my whine, no library, no yoga, no theater, no travel to visit grandchildren and only snow drops peeking out of the ground.
Actually I think I miss the library most, a weekly pop in to the local cafe and library stop, is the total of my social life and although my shelves are full of books, turns out there are no surprises there anymore, the good ones I remember too well and who wants to re-read the not so good ones ? ;)
Internet holds no interest for me, (accept for the kindred souls on PTO) not that interested in other peoples lives, my hopes for a new pup have been dashed and frankly I can only spend that many hours a day cooking and cleaning.
Oh yeah, and the worst one, no hatching !!!!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Good for you for saying goodbye to Facebook, @TomK . I never really did say "hello" to Facebook, other than to register, and IMHO I am better for it. ;-)

I agree with you on the "wanting to do stuff at home" thing. I am working from home, all the while pining for doing all the things I see around me that need doing or that I want to do here.

You got an incubator foisted on you? Poor you. ;-) I had to pay for mine, and it's pretty crappy. It may well be at least partly responsible for our late Taz's reproductive issues and subsequent early demise.

Hope you can at least do some virtual visiting with your folks ...
Stay safe.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:50 pm

Jaye wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:08 pm
Hope you can at least do some virtual visiting with your folks ...
Stay safe.
@Jaye ..i try to call my dad daily..he keeps telling me he wants to install skype but i think he's been having trouble getting how it works...I think a lot of the new programs have a built in modern intuition that ia difficult to pick up on if you haven't been in the flow of things all along...my mom is nearly deaf so the visual would be good at least cuz obviously the phone isn't an answer for her...anyway, I can't help with this isolation situation...at least so far they are well...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:49 pm

@TomK , does your Dad have a smart phone? If so, and if he has an Android phone, Google duo has good reviews ... simple and straightforward interface, apparently. WhatsApp is also fairly easy to get used to ... phone, web or PC. Down side is that it's owned by Facebook. ;-) If he has a phone and texting capabilities, maybe you can walk him through setup that way.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 am

@Ontario Chick
I’m only just now catching up on PTO
Not sure about your library but...
There is an app called:
meet.libbyapp.com
And it’s free with your library membership
You borrow books and audio books for free instantly
I know it’s still not the same as going to the library
But it helps!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 am

Yep , kinda like sex over the phone Colleen. Titalating but lacking something . I’ve heard 😂❤️
Be safe Luck all
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:14 am

Colleen Kinzie wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 am
@Ontario Chick
I’m only just now catching up on PTO
Not sure about your library but...
There is an app called:
meet.libbyapp.com
And it’s free with your library membership
You borrow books and audio books for free instantly
I know it’s still not the same as going to the library
But it helps!
Thank you for the suggestion @Colleen Kinzie I may just completely lack the technology ;)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Well I went to the grocery store today. I got there early and had a list to get in and out fast. As I was making my way through the produce section I realized someone was yelling. I couldn't make it out but it was clearly a disagreement. Then I see a woman in her 30's with a 60 something year old lady, a man about her age and about 6 kids. She had her finger up in the air yelling "mind your own f'n business" over and over again. I clued in pretty quick that someone had commented to her about bringing all those kids into the store with her...2 of which were hacking their heads off with their mouths open. What an idiot. I didn't get involved because I didn't want her coming near me but I desperately hope that someone explains to her that as soon as you leave your home right now everything you do IS everyone else's business. Better get used to it.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:13 pm

Jetsko wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:57 am
Is it just me or is there a sudden explosion of people wanting to raise chickens during covid social distancing. It seems to have started during March Break with so many fb posts of people saying they had been doing research with the kids and think it's a great project for the family. Now they are looking for advice of where to buy coops and hens. I just hope that those newbies understand that keeping healthy chickens involves commitment & daily chores. Am I a pessimist for predicting an increase in postings for coops & chickens for sale this fall/winter once stores stop limiting the number of cartons of eggs per family?
You're not wrong. The FB groups have seen an explosion of new members looking for hens, and a few seasoned keepers looking for more even though they already have more than they know what to do with. I have had former "customers" from YEARS ago, e-mailing to ask if I have any spare birds to sell, and have had two complete strangers pull into my laneway to inquire about birds or eggs. I don't sell my birds in any case, but right now I am refusing to even sell eggs for hatching, because if I do, 99% of these people will lose every single bird to predators in no time flat. Some already have, and are now looking for birds for round two. Once things are calmer, a little more settled, then we'll see who still wants to try chicken keeping, and who abandoned the idea, and only then will I consider helping out a prospective new owner. Until then, the only eggs leaving my property are ones I know will go into a frying pan!

Return to “Around the Waterer”