Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Coronavirus - how much do you worry ?

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 am

OK this is just my opinion BUT is it really a great idea to let a potentially high risk group with other diseases get together? Nobody knows how long someone is infectious before they show symptoms, IF they show symptoms.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:24 am

I am still having a bit of a brain melt trying to absorb the fact that this is a virus that the human population has no resistance for,
a bit like the Spanish landing in America and wiping out half the Native population with Small pox, but worse?
And to top it off there is a certain segment of population that is asymptomatic but are carriers, and if you add the segment of population who are in denial, our chances really aren't very good.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am

... and let's not forget those that seem to think that they're immune and don't care about putting others at risk. Very troubling.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am

Wow. i just discovered i have no patience left. I just cannot read through that entire thing. Oh well. I do know that the migrant workers are being allowed into the country, AND that as long as the farms they are going to can ensure they are 2 meters apart, the 2 week quarantine can be done while working. So people trimming orchard trees etc....i think a lot of people need to sit down and take a deep breath and just figure out how to continue "as normally as we can under the current safety restriction". and not have knee jerk reactions to things. Planting is JUST beginning here-and we are the earliest planting regions in canada....and honestly there's time. Potatoes still have time. corn has a window of another 2 months. Seed supply hasn't seemed to be an issue here-the companies are delivering to the farms directly. dropping and going. keeping distance. beans won't even be thought about for another month at least. carrots/vegetables....the greenhouse industry is working with immigration to get people in as fast as they can-the bottleneck appears to be transportation at the moment, getting them here because of the reduction in airline movement. Filling in using people that are on unemployment now...well, they'll have a hard time with that.... let's face it, many people cannot do that type of labour, it's skilled-if you trim your tree wrong you kill it. So training required....but if people want to do it, then sure, just make sure they do it safely. However, there's still time!
Now if 80% of our population goes down with the virus we've got way more problems than farming. Period.....remember too though, as covid-19 moves through the population hopefully some will recover and be immune, and they CAN get back to work. Right now we need to not overwhelm the health care sector.....IF we can do that, then we can start to open some things up again and once there's a test so we know who has antibodies we can allow them to get back to work because they're immune and will not spread the virus again. but they need to be not spreading and have antibodies. Then once the vaccine is available do a mass vaccination and get everyone back to work. Best though would be stop everything for 3-4 weeks and blow the virus OUT. So it is no more, and it is not spreading. Then we need to keep the borders closed until vaccination occurs. The numbers coming this week of cases will tell if the distancing is working. if the numbers don't start to level out then we're in trouble already, and this virus will blow through us like it is in italy....if we can reduce the numbers of new cases, and stay locked down for another 3-4 weeks at least with the distancing we have some hope.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:42 am

Good read Kathy . Yep again Sandies doom & gloom . As far as those that deny . RIPurgatory . Less of them more food for those that make it .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:49 am

ross wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:27 pm
kenya wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:11 pm
Some stores are saving the first hour for seniors only
Yep I saw that Kenya The super WalMArt Hyde Park London is one 7 am to 8 not for me that early .
We won’t be goin to London till this is over doing our shopping at Foodland /Foodmart nearby . Less people as long as can afford the higher costs as well
Similarly with Costco; the first early hour is for seniors.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:33 pm

Please all be aware that if you have a prescription you are now only allowed ONE MONTH at a time. Some Provincial regulation now. So 3 pickups instead of one.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:33 pm
Please all be aware that if you have a prescription you are now only allowed ONE MONTH at a time. Some Provincial regulation now. So 3 pickups instead of one.
And three dispensing fees instead of one. Nice.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Yup!
Mutt chickens for eggs

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:00 pm

Hear tell increase on fuel carbon tax still on 20-30$ a tonne . As a senior on gov pensions only so no loss of money I don’t mind not getting extra but now if I go to town for essentials it will cost more to drive . Good thing I stocked up on gas cans full lol that’s ok we all have to give to make this work .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”