Haatching egg pricing?

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Haatching egg pricing?

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 am

Every spring I put up hatching eggs on Kijiji. Have been charging 12 or 15 a doz. Free range barnyard mix, more easter egger than not. Just looking through Kijiji ads, and thinking I might be a little on the low side. Thinking of going to 18 a doz, 25 for an 18 pack. Anyone else doing this? What are thoughts on pricing?

And for whatever its worth, anyone on here can have them for a lot less if they want them, just let me know.

And while we are at it, For my free run eating eggs, I have been charging 5 a Doz. Winter, I only have a dozen or so a week, four or five in spring, and dropping off as broodys are busy at raising chicks. One guy takes pretty much all I have, so not trying to dig up new customers. What is anyone else getting? I see Sobeys charging 7 or so for commercial free range, which I doubt are as free range as mine.
Attachments
EGGS.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Haatching egg pricing?

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:35 am

I think your prices are good. When I had to buy eggs from the lady round the corner she was charging $3.50 but i always left $5 because they were so good and she was too cheap.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm

I get 5.00 a doz from my regular customers. If i had the hens to give me more eggs per week I could sell 2 or 3x. What i do now. :wave:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:51 am

Barnyard mix I sell for $5.00 pure breeds $20-30.00 a dozen, but that's just me I have no interest in mixes so I charge very little, quite often give them away. If you are getting that much you are doing well. But I really can't be bothered selling any pure or otherwise , you are also correct on Kijiji they are selling for more.

LongCrow
On the Roost
Answers: 2

Post by LongCrow » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:01 am

My hatching eggs I sell for $60 a dozen with free local shipping or $50 a dozen picked up. The price is the same for common or rare breeds. I feel when people ask $10 per egg or $100 a dozen they are missing a lot of sales and disappointing a lot of buyers. I also add a few free eggs if available. Farmgate fresh eggs I sell for $4 a dozen, free range and penned birds mix.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:57 am

Made up the Kijiji ad, will see what kind of response I get. Link here if anyone wants to critique it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/chath ... 1487843452
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:05 am

I charged $30 a dozen for pure breed (but mixed colour) OEGB eggs. The serious folks dont want mixed colors which is fine by me. The backyarders with pets (like me) love bantam breeds and enjoy mixed packs like that because they get variety. If I'm going through the trouble of storing, turning and answering ads then it's not worth it to me to get less than 30. If I dont sell them it's no biggy...the chickens get scrambled egg breaky. There's a niche for everything!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:42 am

I think for Easter Eggers you should get $20.00 a dozen.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Only time i collected eggs for hatching was last summer when my friend Debbie had fired up her incubator to hatch out aome eggs for a dear friend of hers and asked me if my FBCMs were laying fertile eggs...so i collected a coupla dozen and was going to charge her but decided against it because i asked her to hatch out some Brabanter eggs for me instead...my BCMs lay a pretty dark egg I think and they are sweet birds and of the 24 eggs she got she hatched out 17 chicks that survived..12 pullets 5 cockerals...she was tickled...and of the remaining eggs 4 more were viable but something went wrond at the end pipping so 21 out of 24 was pretty good I thought...I think i would charge 30 minimum ...as for my Brabanters I just gave her 6-8 eggs as i gathered them over 3 weeks or so ...have some beautiful birds as a result..still have a couple fof cockerals to rehome but very happy with the number of pullets i ended up with...I will be collecting fertile eggs from both sets of birds again this spring and seeing how the market fares...still looking for a gold laced wyandotte rooster and a Welsummer rooster if anyone knows of any... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Last May, at the Lombardy BST, I paid $20 for a dozen Barred Rock hatching eggs. I thought that was a fair price. Then only half of them hatched. I had better success with my barnyard mix.
I did, however, see hatching eggs for $40 or $45 but don't remember the uncommon breed.
Just viewed your ad; that seems like a fair price and it sounds like you have happy hens. :xfingers:

Selling eggs for eating - we charge $4, and right now, I have lots. This is very unusual. I think some people have shied away since the late Summer/early Fall because then the hens were not laying as many. I need to make up a sign and put it out front.

Return to “Around the Waterer”