Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:53 pm

@Farrier1987 how sweet are they! Congratulations!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:20 am

Still no rain here, starting to wonder if the garden, the bird bath and taking a shower is all that important ;)

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:50 am

Wow that's hot. I spent half the day yesterday digging out an over-grown garden in the hopes of getting my squash (saved seeds from those Kabocha KB) and cantelope finally in the ground. Didn't happen 😄. I'm toying with the idea of planting them in big toy buckets and letting them go. The plants are huge and need to get going.
Has anybody shopped for hardware cloth lately? 😳😳😳
Good luck finding anything in more than 15 foot rolls. Been watching on line for 2 weeks. Finally ordered 3'x50' roll 1/4" from peavey mart on sale for $80 and delivery is 12-14 days to my local store 🙄. Nothing in stock locally at all. The last time I purchased I got 1/2"x1" opening...3'x100' for $100.00 from tsc on sale. Granted that was a few years ago but wow. It's sure in demand.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Hm cute goat @Farrier1987. My condolances lol
Nope. No goats. Scarred for life. Although i would love watching @poultry_admin trying to keep it contained. Lol. :goat:

Woke up this morning to a tom and jake on the west side of the house having a gobble contest with my red slate tom on the east side of the house. Not quite sure who won but it was fun to listen to.

Dug up about 15 little plum seedlings from under my one tree. The parent tree will be sacrificed this fall due to black knot. Some of the seedlings have it too but those that were away from the drip line look good. I am going to hit them with bleach and move them far away upwind of the parent and see if we cant save them.... The price of anything garden or plant like is insane.

Slow day today. Yesterday we checked beehives and i ended up having to trim molly after my farrier didnt show my thursdays appointment. Turns out my farrier made a short notice trip across the border so min 2 week quarantine when she returns and they had already rebooked this appointment at least once.... Molly was easily 4 weeks overdue and i called another farrier but shes 2 weeks out. Sigh. Did my best 2 feet on friday and 2 feet on saturday. Now i am doing mostly nothing today. And i know i could call colin in a pinch but scared to call because NO GOATS!!!!! I could see one slipping into the back of his truck by accident. Haha

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:38 pm

WLLady wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:11 pm
H And i know i could call colin in a pinch but scared to call because NO GOATS!!!!! I could see one slipping into the back of his truck by accident. Haha

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather!
You call me I will come. And the goats are too young, but watch out for August or so.

And Rhona. I decided she wasnt pregnant, couldnt find any sure sign, like kicking, and she wasnt really big. Then Sunday aft, went to feed them. Called GOATS GOATS GOATS as usual. She came ripping out of the goat house to get her grain, just like always. But she had red serum stuff hanging from behind. Went and looked in the goat house (Which is just an old oversized doghouse) and there was a baby. Another girl, licked dry and standing on wobbly legs. So all is well.

Wondering how I would get afterbirth and gore out of the goathouse. Then I saw Ranger had a goopy prize dragged out and was having lunch. Nature has its ways.
Attachments
IMG_3133.JPG
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:44 am

oh dear another one. condolences once again @Farrier1987

weeding has begun in earnest. my goodness where does all this grass come from!? and WHY won't it grow on my lawn, but will in the garden??! argh!
tonight the big guns come out, the tiller will be run through between the rows in the garden. and hopefully that will solve some of the problem. i had to cut through the asparagus patch yesterday to knock back the pig weed. it's okay, asparagus is growing a foot a day right now, so it will grow back.

so the vet had me put molly on a vitamin supplement, and i also added some ground flax seed into her feed every day. it only took about 3 days and she's shiny and no more dry skin! whoohoo! new farrier fixed up her cracked hind feet from the fence pounding when ted passed away. they're doing much better now and look like they have a hope of growing out now. We just got our new trimming equipment in the mail yesterday. SO nice! my other stuff was 12 years old....haha. time to retire them. thinking of which the next chore will be scrap metal out for recycling. Ducks are failing epically at hatching. 3 dead ducklings yesterday, one crushed in shell, 2 pipped and dead having not finished hatching. there were another 4 eggs knocking and clicking, so i left them there.....but if nothing happens by the weekend they're all going. i would like a few more muscovies wandering around, but the 7 already hatched may be it for this year!

irises are slowly finishing blooming. something ate my parsley. like ate the core of the stem out. i am thinking carrot maggot actually. oh well. i have more. need to start more lettuce, had a head for dinner last night and OMG so sweet and wonderful and not store bought! yay! salad season is here!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:26 am

I set Lizzie up with some grow lights, a timer and a heater so we could grow lettuce all year around! our furnace room is almost the perfect temp for lettuce. You dont need to wait for summer to have homegrown salad! we might have a $150 investment but lettuce forever! we actually havent planted any lettuces in the garden but lots of other leafy greens like Kale, spinach, collards, ect.

yesterday we found cucumber beetles destroying our young cucumber plants and in our zucchini that were flourishing. Lizzie is pretty damn upset! she learned that nothing really kills them and the are hard to get rid of. screw it. I unloaded 2 full cans of raid on the bastards! they do seem to die from raid but I noticed many flying away. GRRRRRR!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:47 am

I feel your pain over the cuke beetles. I so enjoyed harvesting two lovely cukes every day for a couple of summers, one for us and one for the chickens, then the beetles moved in and and ate them to death. I tried growing them under Reemay, but it was such a pain having to move all the stuff anchoring it down, that it was too much of a bother. I've heard of people vacuuming them every day, but nothing else works, including diatomaceous earth :(.

Linda

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 am

permithrin will work but you need a license. I just hand pick and hand pick. someone told me the sticky yellow paper traps can help too since they think they are flowers and land on them. I just walk around every day with a jar of soapy water and catch as many as i can and drown them. it take a lot of time but i'm picking colorado potato beetles/eggs/larvae too....and squash beetles and where do this darned things come from anyways!!!!!??

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:42 pm

Also, what would usually eat them and keep them under control? It seems there are fewer and fewer predators and more non-native insects which don’t have any here…. :dunno:
I’m lucky so far in my new place they haven’t found my garden goodies but I’m sure that won’t last! I used to live near one of the largest potato growing areas in Ontario and it was useless trying to grow them in our garden.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Return to “Around the Waterer”