Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 am

Well SIster is a VERY brave girl! Heard a ruckus and went out to see a raven trying to get Sisters babies. They were hunkred down and she had a major go at the raven. Other birds chased it off in the end and all 3 babies are safe.
Kathleen hatched 4 but only 3 survived. It was an odd long drawn out hatch.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am

Wow lots going on at your place @Killerbunny Glad everyone in Sister's group is ok...what a brave Momma! Sorry about the little one not making it. 3 is a good numbet.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 am

Yup and now we have the babies with 3 Mommies LOL. They decided to merge the 2 groups. Poor HD is very confused as to why they don't need him anymore!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:23 pm

Glad the babies and mommas survived @Killerbunny just mentioned to DH yesterday that there were 2 ravens taking apart garbage on next concession, we don't see them very often, but boy close up they aren't just a big crow, the size of the beaks on those birds is pretty intimidating.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:57 pm

good afternoon everyone! been super busy....back to work this week and well....i'm still here. exhausted. it's mentally a tough game to go and do...full PPE, sweating, overheating, sore face from wearing a mask all the time....not allowed to eat or drink (don't remove the mask, because well, then not protected). trying to clean the space in prep for others to return to work, get cells growing and stuff like that in preparation for their return. Then have everything going and come home, get an email saying postponed to July 2. WTH???!!!! So sometime this weekend i'll need to go in and shut everything back down again. all the equipment, all the incubators....unless they change their minds over the weekend. which could happen. ARGH

in good news, 9 new guinea keets on the ground (in the brooder i should say). i'll try to get photos. one more turkey. sounds like 2 now....have to move the other turkeys and duck outside now. need to build a coop for growing out the guineas. and figure out how to keep them clear of the chickens. need to have a big processing day...turkeys and spent layers. i cannot bring myself to sell spent layers to the crazy people out there wanting backyard chickens. they don't lay any more. have to find some hay somewhere too this weekend. i'll make a couple phone calls...see if anyone is cutting soon. i have about 5 weeks until i will need more. This year i'm paying by pound...the bales were so small last year. ended up going through 65 big rounds, because they were a little short on the "big" part.

ordered my mulch, so this weekend will be cleaning out around the trees and hedges and weeding....vegetable garden is growing like mad. my sweet corn sprouted in 4 days. corn is up in the field too. driveway gravel coming next week too. going to be busy. need to clean some pens, and stuff like that. never ends....but i'm starting my weekend now, so i should go and get to it! will need to water the greenhouse for sure....haha. hopefully we get some storms to break this heat!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:43 pm

Ice pellets came down hard for about 15 minutes aroung 15:00 today. STill have thunder and rain rumbling through. We hve moved into the Summer Palace now so will likely get snow soon.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:26 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:43 pm
Ice pellets came down hard for about 15 minutes aroung 15:00 today. STill have thunder and rain rumbling through. We hve moved into the Summer Palace now so will likely get snow soon.
Wow, we had a tropical downpour at 7PM, we are about 1 hour drive apart, crazy!

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am

We got a good pelting yesterday of pea sized hail as well, could barely see!

Finally sheared the 2 sheep yesterday, ashamed to say it had been a while. I’ve been training my athletic step son to do it but it requires some finesse to hang on to the sheep (150+lbs each) while wielding heavy and sharp electric clippers. Thankfully I had gotten a new set of clipper blades so it wasn’t too bad but I ended up doing most of it and he got practice finishing them up. By the end I could barely hold on to the lanolin coated, slippery clippers. I’m pretty stiff today, but the sheep are very happy and I’m looking forward to making something from the wool.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:29 am

Watched a movie last night "Contagion" released 2011, had to check the year twice, it was like watching the daily News broadcast, tiny bit freaky.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:34 am

WLLady wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:57 pm
have to find some hay somewhere too this weekend. i'll make a couple phone calls...see if anyone is cutting soon.
On Friday, I delivered Enrique to his new home near Fergus. Furthest I have been from home in about a year. East of London I saw a fair bit of hay down but not much this side. Near Cambridge, there was a field all baled.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Around the Waterer”