Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by kenya » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Was raining so some of my silkies got soaked when the door blew closed but Sun is shining now and must be 20 degrees in the sun. They are busy preening to get dry.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm

It turned out to be a good day, after the rain and fog quit! It was warm out, and WLL texted and said it was crazy windy there. I told her, not here.

Then it hit, about 1/2 hr later, lol.

Made more bluebird houses today. We've (Gary and I) made 6 so far. I'm learning how to work the woodworking tools/machines. Scary some of it!

My sister works for a hatchery that provides female pullets for the egg market. Seems that they had to destroy a whole hatch (thousands of chicks), because the flight they were supposed to be on was cancelled. And seeing as how they hatch constantly, end result will be the same. How awful!

I'm having trouble getting garden seeds as well, and the ones I already have will be properly stored in the fridge, and I will make them last for next year too!! AND intending on putting MORE stuff into jars, instead of pickled stuff. More tomato stuff/salsa's and tomato sauce/chili sauce. I've got enough jars I think. There will be (if there isn't already) a run on that stuff too. I've also got lots of jar lids etc. I WAS using my vinegar for fabric softener, but thought I'd better hang on to that too. Currently have 4 full 4 L jugs.

Unplugged all my heated pails/water fonts today, and took the 3 fonts out, and to the house, and bleached them all (used sparingly, because I don't have a lot... and couldn't find it last time I was out shopping... we also use it to clean cattle water troughs), rinsed them, and they are in the basement. I had to go searching for regular pails, lol.

THANK god most of us have a way of feeding ourselves, chickens/eggs... and incubators, or broodies. OR a friend who can hatch for you! I was thinking of getting rid of mine, but I better hang onto them (bators). Currently (and I have tried to come up with 'where') there is NO room in this house, but the basement, which is more cold than warm, with a more or less flooded basement, and water literally running into the corner to the sump. Not ideal.

So.... just got word that Charlotte has tested positive also for covid. I hope her and the unborn baby are going to get thru this. Must be a nightmare for this family. I fear SAD days are coming.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 am

It has been raining for 2 days now, even the dog doesn't want to go out.
Theis may be a bit of a rant, went shopping yesterday to Natures pantry only, for month of yogurt supply and almond flour.
The only thing you can buy from them on line are pills and "healthy" chips.
On advice of Dr Google chose the quietest time of day, first time out in a month, might get spooked be other humans.
Found out ahead of time if they still take return yogurt jars, they do.
Equipped with gloves and a mask, got my 4 yogurts, go to the self serve bins, they are closed off. Makes sense.
Come across a person doing paperwork and ask if there is an employee who could get some almond flour for me.
She says "our self serve area is closed"
I said, I understand, makes sense, but isn't there somebody who works here, who could bag some for me, she says she will look and leaves.
Not a large store, so back in a minute, says, "I guess I can do it for you.......
So the ,bins are full of supplies, nuts, flours, grains and beens of many kinds they will sit there for month surrounded by red tape and presumably when this is all over the tape will come off and the stuff will be available for purchase ????
And it hadn't occurred to anybody to weight it in to 1 lb bags and sell it that way ?
Sorry, it did turn in to a rant.
Keep well!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:29 am

Common sense that & truth first casualties of war yes this is war against a invisible, odour less ,tasteless enemy .
Gonna try our first foyer out in 2 wks today . Luck all , follow the rules & Luck are all the weapons we have
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm

OK, braved the Farm Boy run, needed some fruit and veggies, and fresh meat and cheese.
Was done in 45 min, The total $265 that is hopefully 3 weeks worth of groceries, but boy, for somebody on fixed income used to buying only things that are good price and value, a shopping like this could give one a heart attack.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Yep OC we drive every 2 wks to London ON to WalMArt for groceries & other stuf cause it’s a Super Wal- mart with hardware clothes etc .
We are now shopping at local 2 rural grocery stores 10 min from home instead of 30 BUT only getting the needs not the wants ice cream etc because as you say price shock . We knew it was there now we feel it .
Smaller stores less people safer we feel . Luck All

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Jup, did the same last week Monday. Now I'll have to go tomorrow to the local store. So not bad considering I thought I bought for one week only ...

I am dreading the day I will have to go to Costco. It'll come, but we push it out as far as possible.
On the good side, we may actually finish one of the freezers entirely before this season's garden needs a home for next winter. :banana:
AND before the stuff gets freezer burned.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:08 pm

The best time to go to Costco is early morning, if you're a senior, or during supper hour on weekdays. Except Thursdays and Fridays. At least, that's the pattern in Ottawa. I had to go last Friday and they now have many, many preventative measures in place. They are limiting number of people in the store at one time, only one entrance and one exit, disinfectant wiping down of cart handles before customers take them at said entrance, 2 metre distancing between yourself and other shoppers, both in the store and in line for checkout, 2 metre distance lines marked on the floors between you and and those loading your items onto the conveyor (you aren't allowed to do it yourself), and cashiers (until all your items are run through, at which time you step forward to pay by debit or credit only), Plexiglas barriers on all cashes, only every other cash is open to accommodate physical distancing, food court is still open - but only serving basics - and take-out only. Oh, and don't bother bringing in your own bags. They will load them into empty warehouse boxes if there are any, or just fill your cart with your items and you get to re-pack them into whatever when you get to your vehicle.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:07 am

Mornin all ,, I know a lot of you don’t Have or don’t like Facebook but if any of you want to go on my Facebook page full name is Ross Howard picture of my wife and I cowboy hats on just make a request under your PTO name and you will be welcome to board good luck All

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:12 pm

Well quite the egg day today. 9 eggs from 13 hens. Now that doesn't sound like a lot but when you consider that only 3 are a year old, 2 are 3 years and the rest are 4+ including a 7 year old girl not bad!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”