Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by baronrenfrew » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:40 pm

FYI if you have Bell and call for "service" - hit French on the choices for keypad. Then when they say "Allo" speak in English and you are good to go. "French" call centre is New Brunswick or Montreal and is way better to get stuff sorted out. probably works for other companies as well.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Great tip, @baronrenfrew !
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:03 am

sundown one night last winter - don't remember if I posted it here.
365BFD0F-E849-438B-B9E4-6132C724A04F.jpeg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:04 am

801B211D-6A44-4897-8B9E-49D600282667.jpeg

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:56 am

And a good Friday morning. Seven eggs yesterday. Dagnab sparrows building a nest every day in the coop, me tearing it down, wish I could get them to stay out. Thinking of trying to design a trap out of berry netting, but haven't figured it out yet. Lost a three month old chick to wry neck/star gazing a few days ago. They say vitamins, but not sure, lost her anyway. I am thinking more genetic. Had a strain in my bunch a few years ago that had neurological problems develop at 3 mos to a year, they would start falling over and progressively paralysed one side over a couple weeks. Thought I had weeded it out. This might or might not be related, same feather colour strain as most of them.

Going to go spend the day pruning in the orchard, Light snow and close to zero no sun all day is forecast, same as yesterday. They say rain/snow again for the weekend, but we have escaped any serious weather so far this year.

Had a huge flock of crows spend about an hour in the yard yesterday. Kind of neat listening to their chatter and the wing noises as a couple hundred would rise out of the trees and settle back in. I thought they might tease the dogs, but really didn't. No chicks right now, crows will take a fair number of them if they can. Big flock of geese have ben feeding on the cornfield across from the house, commuting overhead to the lake. Shhhoooo shhhooooo shhhoo of wings as they go over, some honking, dogs go wild. Doesn't look like the lake will freeze at all this year. Even Superior they say is mostly open.

Might need to do sushi in the next couple weeks. Anyone interested is asked to fill out an application form and make an appointment.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:26 pm

Rye neck needs more selenium in their feed, when I got a feed with higher selenium content than the problem disappeared.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:01 am

Wonderful day yesterday, +8 and sunshine, pruning in the orchard. Staked animals out, they loved being able to eat grass instead of hay. Got six eggs yesterday, numbers should go up soon, been averaging about 4 since Novemer. Wont need a timer for their light pretty soon. Should have a broody hen soon too, might set her. Then there will be chicks for the baby goats to chase. Its fun to watch, they want to be the boss of something, and the chicks fly every which way when they charge through. But the mother hen, they need to be careful, they could lose an eye.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 am

Good morning!
We didn't get sunshine until about 3:00pm yesterday; then it was sunset.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:41 am

Three goats and a mini horse staked out yesterday. Was colder and no sun, but still a good day for them to be out eating grass. Three eggs.

Anyone ever heard of a goat being electrocuted? I sold a doe and her kid to some people for pets in October; he already had a buckling. He told me to drop by anytime. I did on Monday afternoon, went and saw the goats, the two young ones, but mom wasn't there. That eve I emailed, said I had been there.

He emailed back yesterday. They came out to the barn couple weeks ago and she was dead. Nothing visible and she hadn't been sick. They looked and wondered for about two hours trying to figure it out. He had had an extension cord up about 7 feet, running along the wall, saw something strange about it, investigated and there were teeth marks and bare wires. He and his 12 and 14 yr old daughters felt really bad, like they had failed the animals in their care. Most of us on here know the feeling.

Darn goats are worse then kids for getting into things they shouldn't. No matter how you think you have done it right for them, they can find something. That one will never happen to him again, but ….. Shoulda woulda coulda. if if if. And if my aunt had any balls she woulda been my uncle. And we try again and go forward.

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 am

Good morning, colder today but nice and sunny, spending a bit of time outside with the few birds I still have here enjoying the sun. Waiting anxiously for my call from the Ottawa Heart Institute to find out what time to arrive tomorrow for my double bypass surgery.

Well finished my coffee, time to do something to keep my mind busy.

Hope everyone has a great day.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Return to “Around the Waterer”