General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:16 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:55 am
@Ontario Chick did you actually manage the pick up thing? I tried to do that for our local Superstore and they will offer dates a week + away. Newspaper is now saying that you shouldn't do it unless you are really compromised because they can't cope. Most of our stuff comes from Food Basics anyway.
@Killerbunny absolutely amazing service, put my order in Monday morning for pick up Wednesday Morning.
Sent DH, coz his trunk can be opened from inside the car,
Got a call that there was only one item they didn't have and if it was alright or if I wanted a substitute ?
At the allotted time which was 9am to 10am DH phoned them from the parking lot to tell them he was there, they loaded the trunk, closed it and our shopping was done. took about 10 minutes all told.
Normally there is a $3-5 charge for this and they use plastic bags, coz you can't use yours, but both charges are dropped for now.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Good day. Speaking of grocery pick up, if you are not in one of the high risk groups I recommend going into grocery stores and buying your groceries yourself, just do not 'dilly dally", shop with purpose. My teenage daughter works at our local Walmart in Smiths Falls, she normally works about 15-20 hours a week, the last few weeks she is over 40 hours a week.

Some days she is picking orders off the shelves for pick up and other days she is delivering orders to cars. Not too long ago, you could order and your would be ready in about 2 days, now that cannot keep up, they are getting a lot of customers driving from Ottawa for grocery pick ups now.

They have 4 staff in the grocery pick up department off, one in self-isolation for the 10 days so far, that was in close contact with a customer that after the encounter admitted they just returned from holidays in NY and 3 others that are at home because they live with people that are high risk for the virus. The store closes at 8 pm, they pick orders until 11 pm sometimes and the morning order picking staff come in at 4 am. They just cannot keep up with the orders.

Also a piece of advise, from my daughter, when until you get the email saying your grocery order is ready for pick up, so you do not end up waiting in the store parking lot for 3 hours, then yelling and taking all your weeks of anger out on some teenager, just trying to make some money for their education. lol. It is bad some places now, but it will only get worse when workers making barely over minimum wage get fed up, or parents like myself determine the risk of letting my daughter work to serve the community, is not worth it and tell her to quiet.

On a happier note, with my free time at home recovering from surgery, which is going well, I start rehab, at home, next week, I just signed up to take my Pesticide Safety Course online, I had my licence many years ago, but let it expire. I mainly want it so I can buy the "good" rat poison, if needed and to be able to get undiluted Round Up pesticide, which is not a good thing I know. But I just use Round Up to spot spray the poison parsnip directly on individual plants, so minimal harm done. My 7 acres are almost free of parsnip and I would like to keep it that way.

Slowly working on building a couple new chicken breeding pens, cannot lift large pieces of wood let, so the process is slow.

Starting some seeds later today, which "later today" is about now, so I guess I better get doing something.

Hope everyone had a good day.

Jim
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:51 pm

We are in a high risk group, that's why we looked for ways to shop without going in to the store,
I must say kudos to IGA, the system is flawless, probably because they have been providing it for a while now, rather then a knee jerk reaction to the current situation.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:43 am

And a good Good Friday morning. Cool and very windy here, but better than snow which some of you will have. Baby goats doing stuff, chasing chickens. Yesterday, one of the chickens stood its ground, a staredown, baby goat didnt know what to do. Looked like they were in front of the saloon, waiting for the other one to draw. Where is the camera when you need it? Now lots of people would say I am wasting time watching stuff like this, but what a wonderful way to waste time.

Off to the orchard for 4 hrs, then the garden, weather permitting. Wish another hen would go broody. I want more chicks. Narcissus blooming, daffodils budding, crocuses mostly finished. Not much for fruit tree budding, but starting. No flies or mosquitoes, I do like spring.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:53 am

Hell no, not a waste of time it's therapy!
Now the symbolism of eggs at Easter began in pagan Europe when folks had made it through the winter and the remaining hens began to lay.This was then taken over by other faiths to suit their purposes. However I am sure this isn't the real explanation and I eagerly await @Farrier1987 interpretation!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Therapy. On CBC radio on the way home from the orchard today, some sort of expert on something was suggesting that if boredom and claustrophobia are getting to us, that we get "therapized". Yeah, I want to do whatever she and Trumpman tell us, for sure. Get friggin therapized. At least when I say prevert or some such, I do it on purpose.

I will work on it maybe, but KB, I hope this doesnt come as a shock, but rabbits dont lay eggs. I will tell you about Santa Claus another time, so you can therapize them one at a time.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Most of that stuff Farrier me think is for the Cliff Dwellers (apt) folk who really don’t know how & have nothing to do but sit around playing with /by themselves . Lol luck us
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:52 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:22 pm

I will work on it maybe, but KB, I hope this doesnt come as a shock, but rabbits dont lay eggs. I will tell you about Santa Claus another time, so you can therapize them one at a time.
OK so DH is now quite upset with you because he said they show rabbits laying eggs on TV and he thought it must be true. Now i have to go calm him down!
Mutt chickens for eggs

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 pm

If you see it on tv it must be true!

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:26 pm

OK so @Farrier1987 explain this! I went to collect eggs today and found this in the nest with some others. I think this is one of those mini egg things they show on TV ads but my lttle olive egger says it was her. I think she is covering for the Easter Bunny likely extra treats would be involved. Thoughts?
eggs.jpg
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”