Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:10 pm

Tons of birds here, have been all winter. The Red winged and Robins have been back for 2 weeks, not seen a bluebird yet, but did see my first cardinal!! Had lots last winter, none this winter. Probably this guy was a fly by.

All 3 new 'bluebird' houses have sparrows in them. yay. Knew that was going to happen. Gary is making more, LOL.

Garlic is more up. Was supposed to be 10C today, but only 4C. Cold wind/damp. Ugh. Nasty day really. Gary is in, and we are finally going to put up a curtain rod, and hand my black-out grey curtains I bought off Amazon a few weeks ago. Melissa's brown ones she gave me must have been thrown out, they were in a garbage bag. Oh well. Glad to get them up. Will help with the HOT sun coming in the south window, this summer, when the 'air' is on, and cold wind during the winter.

Going to be really cold this weekend, and going to go out soon and put some straw over the garlic peeking. So the 25mm expected rain can flatten it down. It always finds it way thru (most covered in leaves I raked and carried there).... and it will help protect them some. Gary is in again, after gone for the drill.

Have a great weekend! Stay safe.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:45 pm

big nasty storm set coming through here tonight. we just filled up the firewood, and will just hang out. chores in a bit, horses got hayed yesterday. they'll get some oats tonight to help with the soaking wet cold they are going to get. They won't stay in, so.....
i really do want to get into the greenhouse! soon i hope. i usually do in april.....march is just a little early for me. my garlic is up about 2 inches....but now after the rain yesterday it's all muck. i moved some raspberry canes today, slowly trying to get them onto wires outside the garden so anything that comes up IN the garden gets move to OUTSIDE the garden...lol. i do think it's a losing battle! we just went for a nice long walk through our west ravine down by the river. No sign of 2 wayward guineas that went that way. who knows. doubt they're alive now been how long? anyways, a snow, several rains and some cold wind....ha ha. dumb birds. the other 3 are finally doing what guineas SHOULD do and puttering around eating bugs and being birds. instead of jerks. @Bayvistafarm I'll be putting the incubator on in about 2 weeks....i'm collecting ducks and various chicken eggs now. So....bring them by sometime if you are down here, or whatever. I'm seriously doubting that college will go back in on april 5. in fact, dinner bet with my DH. he says yes, i say nope, the rest of the semester will be all taught online.
so. we shall see who's paying for dinner in april. LOL.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:16 pm

It seems that, under the circumstances, we will not be introducing new blood into our quail flock, and incubating our own eggs. Fingers crossed that this is okay for this year.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 pm

Good evening, not much going on here. I have basically been in self-isolation for 6 weeks since my heart surgery. lol. Healthy enough now that I can help with feeding my birds that I have left, which at least gives me something to do.

Well not much to say, hope everyone is staying safe.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 am

Jim, so glad that you had your heart surgery when you did and that you are feeling better!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:05 am

JimW wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 pm
Good evening, not much going on here. I have basically been in self-isolation for 6 weeks since my heart surgery. lol. Healthy enough now that I can help with feeding my birds that I have left, which at least gives me something to do.

Well not much to say, hope everyone is staying safe.

JimW
Good to hear from you @JimW
Foggy and damp here, small patches of grass starting to show and one very lonely Robin advertising loudly, hope he finds a mate soon ;)
Stay healthy.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 am

Good to hear you are doing well, Jim.
Snow is almost totally gone here, even among the leaves in the flower gardens.
But we are going to be battening down the hatches for some strong winds coming.

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Basically all the snow is gone here, bit bit in the woods, but not much. One positive thing. I think I got lucky with my double bypass surgery, it was scheduled for January 21st, but they called me on January 17th and bumped it back until February 6th. Good think it did not get bumped a second time or with things how they are now, my surgery would have been canceled for quite awhile, since it was considered elective surgery.

Most excitement here is I killed a mink trying to get into one of my bird pens the other day. It got stuck in the wire, so was easy to put it down. It did not get in to get any birds. Hopefully now that the chipmunks seem to be out in full force there will be lots of food for the minks and weasels and they will stay away from the birds.

JimW
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Must admit I miss our bobcats. That kept the populaton of rats, mice, etc. down.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi @JimW!!!! Glad you are doing well! congrats on the mink - getting it that is. those things can rip through a flock in record time. Did i mention we got one of the rats in the barn? LOL. i saw it duck under a water dish, stood on its tail so it couldn't run and we both had shovels in record time.....chased it clear across the loft and finally got it. sigh. there's one more to go. and we set the snap traps and the mice keep raiding them LOL
Apparently all the rodents are smarter than the hoomans.

well another super busy day of work from home. trying to get courses online for the students. I think i'm almost done. just the final exam to figure out. i seriously do not think we are going back the first week of april.....for now it's 2 weeks online....for now.

bizarre weather today. woke up at 18c, then the wind picked up and we're -4 with windchill right now....4 without. and thunderstorms and stuff earlier today. horses are buried in the hay bale (quite literally right now). left the birds in, figured they'd blow into lake erie probably in the wind. Figured i better start hatching since I hear the hatcheries are shutting down. so i'll do a few ducks, and a few turkeys (maybe-i have too many birds) and a few of my fav chickens-silver welbars, gold welbars, light brown leghorns and my ameraucanas FINALLY started laying this week.

I think my dog is super happy i'm home. I think the cats are really ticked off that i'm home. Another 2 weeks of this for now! Enjoying taking some walks, and will likely get the greenhouse sorted out this weekend and get some seeds going next week.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”