ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:42 am

A happy new year everyone!
Actually, a happy new decade!
All the best in the new year. And most of all, I wish you health. Lots of it!!!
:beer2:

Oh, yes, I keep with the tradition to open a new "Good morning" for the new year. The old one is still there, but locked.
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 am

U2 Martin & a big THANKS for all u do behind the scenes to keep PTO running smooth. 👍🤠🕊

Jetsko
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Jetsko » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 am

ross wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:37 am
All the best for 2020 as you get a Round Tuit
I’ve handed these out before but maybe some of you newbies didn’t get one . 👍
Happy New Year & thank you for the Round Tuit.
I had one years ago but lost it, now I can pass this to hubby & sons. Hope it helps them get the 2019 chores finally done.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:12 pm

poultry_admin wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:42 am

So you just couldn't resist, You had to poke KB with a stick, her pet peeve. Good for you, I would have if I had thought of it first.

Sunny here, a few degrees below 0. Been out pruning the fruit trees.

And to all for the new year; Live long and prostrate, as Spock used to say.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 am

poultry_admin wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:42 am
A happy new year everyone!
All the best in the new year. And most of all, I wish you health. Lots of it!!!
:beer2:

Oh, yes, I keep with the tradition to open a new "Good morning" for the new year. The old one is still there, but locked.
Good morning,
It took all my willpower not to respond, but I resisted, it's the new improved me :)
Good news on the home front, the pullets started laying day after equinox, must have kept their legs crossed since November.
Snow melting, so "January thaw" ?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:56 am

two degrees and overcast. Mucky around and about.

My one pullet brown leghorn started laying a few days ago. First egg was XL, blood smears on it, and I didn't think it was her, but the only one a candidate for a white eggs. Then yesterday a white pullet size egg. Several other pullets laying since mid December, mostly olive eggers, and some pink ones too. Nice coloured bunch too, the blood lines from WanderingWindyWerewolf eggs she mailed me.

Big excitement here yesterday. The CO detector went off. I thought maybe battery, but no, this one is three years old and ten yr lithium battery, Kidde brand. Took it down and outside and it quit. Put it back, it started again. Called the fire dept to ask about it. They reacted like a 911 call and came in two fire engines and about ten personal vehicles. Dogs and goats really excited, chickens mostly didn't notice. Final analysis said mine was defective and they gave me a new one. Apparently that's their policy, the will replace a defective one so you aren't without. Wont give you a free one, you have to buy it yourself, but if they get a callout like this, they replace. Kind of nice.

Small bit of science here, CO is almost exactly the molecular weight of normal air, so just diffuses into the air. Unlike CO2 or H2S or propane which are heavier than air so tend to pool in low spots. Or natural gas which is lighter than air so it tends to float away or pool at the ceiling. And more than just depriving you of oxygen or blowing you up like the others mentioned, it combines with the hemoglobin in your blood and stops it from gathering and delivering oxygen, so it is not like suffocation, small amounts can stop your body working properly and kill you. Badly operating combustion appliances like furnaces are usually the culprit. Wood burning stoves can do this too, but are not nearly as likely.

Its the new year, check your batteries in smoke and CO detectors, (usually two different detectors) and make sure they are working.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:36 pm

Good stuff , never hurts to be safe . CO the silent killer . 👍
Good of fire dept to replace .
That’s why TSSA has strict guide lines for installation & safety checks should be done yearly on all gas / oil /wood / coal appliances . Detectors are made to fail safe like yours Farrier but not all do then your dead . 👍🤠

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:17 pm

Glad it was a faulty CO detector! we had one here a couple years old, worked great, unless we vacuumed. The dust or vibration or something would set it off. LOL. Well, it finally lost it's mind in the middle of the night a while ago and scared us both around the bend. But we already had a new one (because things never break when the stores are open!) so now we have the new one in. :-) also replaced the smoke detectors last fall. Wouldn't go without them that's for sure!

Getting set for the new classes at the college. Looking forward to teaching. Hubby and i just got in from hauling back another 2 or so cords of wood. The number of trees down from the last wind about 9 days ago now is staggering. just jaw dropping. Dead ash everywhere. We had needed to cut down a giant dead elm, but it was going to drop into a pile of standing dead ash, so we cleaned up the ash before the wind....and went out after the wind to get the elm cut down, to find it lying on the ground exactly on top of the stumps of the ash we had hauled out. it's all just a mess of "pick-up-sticks" of full huge trees all over the ground. We'll work through the winter and try to get as much out as possible before it starts rotting on the ground. that ash borer did a number on the woods. looks warm stacked outside the house though!

Not much else happening..i don't mind the quiet i must admit!
hope everyone is having a good weekend. And i sure hope that all the crap going on in the world doesn't turn in WWIII....just unbelievable watching the news and reading the papers the last 2 days. sigh. human beings....actively inventing new ways to kill each other. sigh.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:08 am

Mornin folks...one of the "hazards" of owning a fair chunk of land is that one doesn't get to keep a close eye on things as much as one would like..so MJ and I made the ' resolution' to walk the land more..both for the exercise and staying in closer contact with the property...as Kathy notes, lots of ash down or dying...a couple of really decent trees on their way out so I will harvest them and get the lumber milled out of them...the others should make great firewood...shame really, as ash trees are such a nice tree but at least it saves me cutting live tres for heat...I can see a time in the not too distant future, the environment police coming down on urban ambiance wood burning and a pressure on rural inhabitants to find alternative heating systems...it's a crazy world so who knows...anyway, nothing like the feel.of wood heat...
..on a chicken note (after all, this is a poultry site, I think) my Brabanter hens have started up laying ...yay! ...no artificial lighting here...now all we need is the pullets to start...should be fun...fairy farts all over the place ..lol..and I have a few very nice cockerals to rehome so if anyone is interested pm me...in the meantime have a great day folks... :run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”