Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Happy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 am

We actually got a couple of decent rains in the past week. Not as much as we need but enough to green things back up and stop the baby apples from giving up on life and diving from the tree branches. On Tuesday it rained at my house for a couple hours but not a drop just a couple kms north or south. It usually happens the opposite way. Garden is doing great and the maple tree has dropped all if it's keys in my veggie garden right on cue 🙄. Pretty sure I saw some cucumber beetles fly out of my cantelopes. Everytime I try to catch them they see me coming and fly into the tall grass of the field just a few feet away. Hubby thinks I'm nuts out there trying to sneak up on them and is about to have me committed so if I disappear you know why.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 am

It was just pointed out to me that the LCbo bill was higher than the grocery bill. i believe that is because we grow a lot and like decent wine LOL!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:12 am

it rained here yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks and it just poured out for like 1 hour. BUT the heat wave was broken FINALLY! now we can finish planting the little bit we have left. prolly be a busy day today.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Send some rain! any rain! please! We didn't get any of the rain the last few days. i drove through rain....i could SEE rain from my patio....haha.

Forgot to email my feed order in last night. did that first thing this morning and i love my feed store i got an email back "no problem! see you this afternoon". LOL. the flies and wasps are ridiculous. have a wasp trap out and i'm emptying it every other day right now. garden plants seem to be doubling in size overnight these days it's so warm! and the weeds too....

checking bees this afternoon...fingers crossed for queen cells in one and queens in the others :-)
had to fend off mom duck with 3 babies this morning. she's getting mean. and tired of me checking on her i think. i'm going to have to take the rest of the eggs away i think-i'll brave candling later on. first things first-spray the horse with flyspray. all the bugs seem to have emerged at the same time this year. a huge jar of potato bug larvae taken off the potatoes...i've never had to hand pick before the plants were full sized. first time for everything!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:09 pm

We got rain but we also got a lot of high winds (90 kph) that burned or broke some of my perennials. I got about 2 1/2" over the last 2 days, but there was more than that closer to and in Regina. I lost one of my Serama hens a couple days ago. It looked like a heart attack. Today I lost one of my EO hens, also looked like a heart attack. She was 4 or 5 years old. It's going to be above 30 degrees again Monday and Tuesday. Mosquitoes are terrible now.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:00 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 am
It was just pointed out to me that the LCbo bill was higher than the grocery bill. i believe that is because we grow a lot and like decent wine LOL!
Ah...isn't that the way it should be :wave:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:17 am

roflmbo
I pay them out of different accounts, that way I can't accidentally find out how they compare ....

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:37 pm

I was just told to put it on the account with the bird feed and supplies and then it will look like nothng!
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:35 am

good morning all! well, raining cats and dogs and the assorted other creatures here LOL. Like pull off the road i can't see kind of rain! we needed it.

Mom duck hatched 3 little ducklings. now mom duck has abandoned 3 ducklings, and adopted the larger ducklings (that are about 6 weeks old now). So second mom that is the devil's spawn has "adopted" 3 ducklings but has absolutely no clue what to do with them. argh! first mom (the mom of the 7 others) thinks this is utterly hilarious and just sits and watches the drama. sigh. they seem to be doing okay, and have been drinking and eating, so i hope that they'll be okay. Lost a chick yesterday. looks like it tried to kill itself and injured itself pretty badly so i had to do the deed. sigh. there's always the one invincible every year that determines it's not invincible rather spectacularly. ah well. best i could figure it broke its pelvis and a hip....so.

so much weeding yesterday. but the garden is in good shape for another week. got our first zucchini yesterday! the tomatoes are flowering. lettuce is being eaten daily now. so much better than store bought! my peas don't know whats going on with the weather. they sprouted really fast in the cool and then tried to give up in the 35C we had, and now are growing again slowly.....the beans are kinda stuck i think, 2 sets of leaves...hm...weird spring and all the bad bugs are here all at once!!!!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:41 am

Pity about the chick are you sure it wasn't a turkey? I nearly lost one poult after it looks like a grackle grabbed it's leg. I gave it a chance after toe punching to identify and a couple of days later I couldn't tell which it was. I have a theory that in every hatch there is a Captain Stupid especially with turkeys. It is a biological survival mechnism to ensure that if there is a predator about it gets a "sacrificial" poult or chick and is distracted from the main brood. I'll have to write a paper LOL.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”