Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Up at 6am..got a load of water in our tote - thanks - home had a big breakfast - thanks again. Installed a window in my little chicken coop. I thought they needed more light in the winter. Sat down around 3pm. All-in all a good day. Now for some rain!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:28 pm

SO Sister slept over with Kibbles and yellow last night. Don't know what was said BUT Kibbles has gone broody. This is just stupid given the weather and her age (4)! I suspect SIster said that if she could do it Kibbles can too. Oh well I'll shift her about and see what happens.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Have 3 going broody here, crazy girls.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:05 am

Just had one hen come out of the rafters with 10 little barn yard mutts . Pics later if I can get .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 am

I have 1 showgirl and 1 silkie that think they are broody. I keep moving them and locking them out of the coop. My silkie was throwing herself at the door...poor thing.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 am

Finally getting some much needed rain here and it looks like it also chased the hoards of tourists away too! I live on one of the major routes to Sandbanks and it’s been crazy over the last month as the masses try to escape the cities to come here. Sadly, they have shut down the smaller conservation areas due to the crowding and garbage they leave behind which locals escaped to to swim and enjoy the lake. My stepson witnessed one couple unloading 2 bags of garbage in front of a house as they left, we pay $3 per bag so that poor person now has to deal with their mess. :pull_hair:

Tourism is a given here but this year it’s been much harder to deal with. As well, several large residential developments are being built here that are adding large numbers of new residents to the area which is changing the area and making it harder for many of us who live here to find the quiet places to enjoy. The saving grace is that the tourists disappear as the weather gets worse and many of the new arrivals head south, so the rest of us can enjoy the County then!

I am lucky that I live across the road from East lake and a small park with a little boat launch. I was on holiday this week and my sister and I were able to kayak from there and it was wonderful. I’m ashamed to say I’ve been here 4 years and never done it! Now I’m hooked...

Hope all are enjoying the rain and the long weekend!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 am

I have two little girls sitting. To be honest I've lost track of their hatch days 😳. I've never done that. I think the first one is due to hatch by Friday and the other just a few days later. .My littles are really bad poker players and I can tell from the look on their wee faces that they've got an egg hatching under them.
I've had Gilly the huge Cochin girl go down again. Last time she gave up after a week. This time she's sitting on anything she can. I dropped the food scoop on the floor last night and didn't grab it right away. It disappeared. Gilly had dragged it under her 🤣.i refuse to let her have babies right now. 5 moms in the coop is more than enough. She will have to wait until next year.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:14 am

@Happy Mine is still sitting on her root waiting patiently for it to hatch. I wonder what yours would have hatched from the scoop?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:39 am

Morning all!
I did a BAD thing. I "pandemic bought" some buttonquail eggs. Backstory: a fellow poultry keeper couldn't keep up with demand for (chicken) eating eggs, so I've been selling her my extras, about 4-6 dozen a week. She gets stupid money from her customers and I pay for food for my pleasurable hobby. Win-win. Anyway, her mother has buttonquail, and in a fit of insanity I traded 4 dozen chicken eggs for a dozen buttonquail eggs. I hatched 6 (actually 10, but 2 died right after hatch and 2 were culled--humidity issues) healthy buttons.
I did it because I'd never hatched any sort of small bird before. I did it because I wanted to try something different. I did it because the eggs are the size of a thumbnail, like a Robin's egg, and oh-so-adorable. I did it because when I get in certain moods, I do things to change my focus.
And now? NOW I have 6 itty bitty babies, almost two weeks old, which dart about like minnows, if minnows had no brain whatsoever. It's both the saddest, and the cutest thing you've ever seen. They are SO fast, and yet their defensive movements seem to have no purpose-- they will dash TOWARDS perceived danger (anything moving quickly) just as often as away from it. Bash into walls. Hop up on the brooder plate and yell because they can't remember how to get down.
I'm enamored by the tiny little sounds they make when they need something. Even their rare distress chirp (one actually got stuck under a large wood chip) is quiet and adorable.
I decided I might want to learn a little bit about them. I learned that they're not actually quail at all, but a shorebird, technically a plover. These sorts of distinctions are not particularly important to me, but it might be to them... they probably would appreciate a nice habitat with lots of cover, lots of live bugs, and maybe a water feature. I've caught myself imagining an entire room (of my house) designed just to make the tiny birdies happy.
Hello, my name is Jan, and I'm a birdaholic.
P.s. 6 July hatch button quail for trade. I'm obviously in great danger of getting attached.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:15 am

Wow. Jan. Button quail. They really are cute little birds. At least they don't eat huge quantities of feed. Or do they? An outside aviary outfitted with an insulated quail house with a brooder plate could work. ;-) Or maybe your friend's mother has something else you want that you can trade for?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Return to “Around the Waterer”