Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Re: Good Morning!

Post by kenya » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Yes I think the heat has disturbed hatching eggs. I tried to hatch out some crested ducks for a friend, fox killed the drake. Usually I have no trouble, out of 4 eggs, one infertile the other 3 went right up to the end and died, no internal pip even. They were so looking forward to having some little ducklings again but now I guess they will have to look for another drake or crested ducklings.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:42 am

SO to anyone with clear skies go out in the evening around 10 - 10.30 and look into the NNW at about 45degrees. There is a spectacular comet (NEOWISE) there ATM. They were saying it was a tough naked eye object but if you're rural it's easy and quite the sight in binocs.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am

Cloudy :-( and cloudy in the east this morning. and yesterday. and the night before. lol.
at least it's easier to see in the evening than at 3am! LOL.
unless of course you are chasing foxes around at 3am.....um.

hm. It's thundering here now, just in time to head to my shift at work. Just found out that microsoft office is screwed up because now we all need to move to 365. Great. just in time to really royally screw up my shift....i do not have time to spend downloading and updating computers right now. argh!

Hoping this weekend to figure out the chicken housing around my place. and get the stinkinesses out of the basement. They need room to spread their wings now LOL. So out they go! the young cockerels are not yet processing size, so they're all free ranging which means the girls need to be separated post-haste because, well, young boys and testosterone...

glad to see more rain. we need it.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:43 am

Kathy there’s a song for that “GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN “
Don’t just blame the boys lol
😉
Light rain here . 👏
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:39 am

Well the heat broke some yesterday, Had an inch of rain in half an hour from a thunder storm, and much appreciated for the pasture and garden. Could use a good rainy day or two still.

Red, who hatched the one Marans chick (out of 8 set) is being a good mom, and thats good. The chick is OK, but not really robust, close to a week old and still not taking those running short flights, cant hop over a 4x4 yet. Lets me catch it and carry it in at night and mom follows. Red doesnt attack me either, seems to know I mean no harm, but has tuned up a couple goats that were too close.

Barn swallows dive bombing us every time we go out the door, I think the little ones are flying now too, not sure. They chitter and scold at us and the dogs as they swoop by your ear. Crap on the patio, I painted the concrete with used oil so maybe it wont stick as bad. Need to paint the perches in the coop too, one of my yearly projects to cut down on mites, take away their habitat in the cracks and stuff.

I hear WinningWaysWoof might have to go to Newfoundland. Said she needed some seals for her wood stove. Have a good trip. Dont let the Greenpissers catch you foolin with those cute big eyed babies.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Well that Marans chick died, just was never healthy or thriving. I had figured it was not going to make it, so had been looking on kijiji. Found some Wyandotte chicks a few days old, went and got ten, she was only asking $3 each which I told her was not enough that she should be asking 5. 16 year old girl. Anyway, got home with them an hour (5pm) ago and introductions still going on, but looks like it should be just fine. If that baby hadnt died, I would have put them under her at night, but I figured now with nothing to defend, she would do just fine and it looks that way for now anyway.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Good for you, everybody happy!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:07 pm

Well it's sad the little one died but I think the heat has effected the hatchlings this year. I really stopped hatching about a month ago but I have 2 determined silkies, can't see what the one is sitting on but the other girl is sitting on a root, wonder if it will hatch?

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:33 pm

So far this month I've had 6 silkies and showgirls go broody. I don't let them sit in this heat. It's a battle to break them of their broodiness. I've been winning so far. I no longer have any broodies. Until next week when one descides to sit. Good luck...the root might be a bit of a challenge. I'm sure your silkie is up for it !

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:42 pm

20200721_084308.jpg
Well that sucks...wrote a whole piece here on my phone and when done I hit the back button and all was lost...gah!!!
Anyhow, wanted to show a pic of "Buddy" , a EE over Black Orpington rooster I got about 4 years ago. He is the last of 6 chicks i got to accompany "Gimpy" who i lost last year. Buddy is friendly and fun and curious to the point of nosiness...he has the run of the place but generally just hangs around the pens. He has become special. And he has a name which is something I am reluctant to do. I hope there is a long and happy life for him here.
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”