Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 am

Lots of rhubarb here. Split some from a friend that seems to be taking and she had loads spare. In fact DH is off to get some more now. I love rhubarb and rhubarb jam.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 26, 2020 1:46 pm

Rhubarb Crisp here, until we get tired of it and then just ignore it for the rest of the summer ;)
Used to make an amazing strawberries and rhubarb jam, until we were no longer able to afford strawberries :(

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue May 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Same here: Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp - or Rhubarb Mango Crisp, if I can find mango on sale. Baking doesn't happen often here, especially not dessert baking, and it's definitely not happening over the next few days in this heat. I dream of having a summer kitchen on days like this.
The new batch of quail chicks were moved to the old quail tractor last evening. We had one that had been failing to thrive for a few days now, and this morning it was on it's side, eyes closed, laboured breathing, so we had to help it out. :-( .
Silkie babies will be moved to the summer coop within the main chicken run later today. Looking forward to that in a way, but it was nice having them in the laundry room where we could stop by regularly. I'm tired of all the dander and constant bedding changing now that they're a bit bigger though.
Well, I'm off to deliver some flat pack cooler packs to the girls and boys out in the runs.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Rhubarb jam is MUCH better than strawberry rhubarb. We found some frozen mango that isn't a bad price in the Superstore and it's nice to nibble on still frozen.
Should have said Food Basics, sorry!
Mutt chickens for eggs

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Post by JimW » Tue May 26, 2020 4:07 pm

My rhubarb is barely growing here for some reason, not sure what is going on. Too hot for my liking today, so only doing the bare minimum here today... feeding and watering. Picked up my boat today from Spring tuneup, so fishing soon!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun, but staying cool.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 pm

I've been misting the turkeys, the tolerate the cold well but they don't like the heat. Also 5 are broody and it's hard on them.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 26, 2020 4:45 pm

JimW wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:07 pm
My rhubarb is barely growing here for some reason, not sure what is going on. Too hot for my liking today, so only doing the bare minimum here today... feeding and watering. Picked up my boat today from Spring tuneup, so fishing soon!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun, but staying cool.
My rhubard collapsed last year and is stunted this year. Not sure what happened but I'm surprised it even came back. Thank goosness for rhubarb friends.
Mutt chickens for eggs

spuddog59
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by spuddog59 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Jaye wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:17 pm
Same here: Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp - or Rhubarb Mango Crisp, if I can find mango on sale. Baking doesn't happen often here, especially not dessert baking, and it's definitely not happening over the next few days in this heat. I dream of having a summer kitchen on days like this.
The new batch of quail chicks were moved to the old quail tractor last evening. We had one that had been failing to thrive for a few days now, and this morning it was on it's side, eyes closed, laboured breathing, so we had to help it out. :-( .
Silkie babies will be moved to the summer coop within the main chicken run later today. Looking forward to that in a way, but it was nice having them in the laundry room where we could stop by regularly. I'm tired of all the dander and constant bedding changing now that they're a bit bigger though.
Well, I'm off to deliver some flat pack cooler packs to the girls and boys out in the runs.
Gonna look up a rhu-mango recipe! I bet the mango takes the edge off the rhubarb. Am cleaning out the freezer and made a jam using white peaches (that were supposed to turn into Belini's! but never did), Red Havens, ground cherries, and a handful of our strawberries. A little black currant liqueur and nutmeg - named it Rose Gold Jam. If I find mango cheap, might name the new jam True Rhu-Mance!

We used to keep silkies too. My kids called them 'Sillikies"! :run: :run: :run:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 am

Big find here two weeks ago - my brother discovered that the neighbours property along the road has some ramps aka wild garlic. So I went over that weekend having never picked it before and found that 5 acres of forest was 40% covered in wild garlic on the forest floor. That property changed hands 10 years ago - the new property owners abandoned the house and built a solar panel barn and live elsewhere and I've seen them on the property 4 times in 10 years (and nobody there in winter). We don't even know how to find them to ask permission so we have been jumping the fence from my place and picking.
Who would do the same?
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 am

An old farmer at our old farm always used to say the only way you can get your stuck hand out of a fence is if you have some potatoes in it!! This was potato country, but probably works for ramps too!!! :farmer:
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Return to “Around the Waterer”