Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Happy » Fri May 07, 2021 10:10 pm

My lab is brutal for stealing chicken food every chance he gets but he wouldn't even consider stealing something off the counter. In fact I could leave food sitting on the coffee table beside him and leave the room and he would stare and drool but never eat it. The beagle however is a different story. Her tongue works like that of an ant eater and everything needs to be pushed to the back of the countertop. Over the years she has managed a pound of butter, a 4 pk of chicken breasts, a pound of montreal smoked meat, a bag if hot dog buns, a huge Christmas Toblerone bar, a netted bag of foil wrapped chocolate Christmas bells, a family size zip lock bag of cherry flavored Halls, 1/4 of a shower curtain, a front door mat, a laptop charge cord...and most recently my husband's Champex pills (to quit smoking). Contrary to popular belief THIS dog is not fazed by chocolate. She poop out tiny rolled up colourful balls of tin foil several days after eating it. There is a very good reason why there are so many Beagles in the pound. Can you tell she's not my dog? I'm her wicked step-mother.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri May 07, 2021 10:23 pm

:lol:
Reminded me of a Great Dane we had, his record was pound of butter and 6 muffins,
our new girl hadn't noticed the food on counter yet, but checks for any crumbs on the floor and a new one now, absolutely obsessed with dandelion heads, just picks them of with a speed of a hoover, very peculiar.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Sat May 08, 2021 10:25 am

Very :run: handy OC
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 10, 2021 8:53 am

mine is now sporting a really nice pair of scratches across her nose from trying to sneak cat food....while the cat was in the food. so she settled for sulking and staring while we ate dinner.....
dogs....

well, mom duck is now on 5 eggs having had 3 explode on the weekend. i candled and there's movement in 3 of the 5, but.....i'm considering just taking them away just in case....she is a wicked duck-she now runs across 2 feet to attack anyone walking by, not just within reach of the nest. so i think i'm going to take them away and if there's anything good i'll incubate it in the house and then give them to the mom with 7 ducklings right now. she and the hen with chicks are doing great together in a horse stall.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Mon May 10, 2021 9:52 am

Found Blue a new buddy after his OLD one a cockatiel tied at 20 + a young budgie , Blue is 2 .
. Named it Buddy . Introduction day .
Attachments
DEE9C2FA-D069-4BF7-9325-853440857422.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 am

Congrats!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am

Buddy! Perfect name :stars:
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 16, 2021 7:23 am

Good start to the morning. Butt wash time for a couple of old girls NJ and white tip who are still with us! They will be more comfortable now.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am

Hey there everyone!
another beautiful morning out there. Managed to get a good chunk of the guinea destroyed (messy) barn cleaned and pressure washed and got the pens cleaned this weekend. Ended up throwing Mike (our splashy rooster in the banner up at the top of the page) into the turkey pen because we de-spurred him and when we put him back into his old pen the rooster that had peacefully coexisted said NOPE. There was a hen in with the turkeys already (she thinks she's a turkey and hates chickens, except Mike)....so Mike went in there and he's happy as can be, and she's happy and the turkeys don't give one whit. So. everyone is happy! finally! Still have a lot of barn cleaning to do....but the one pen turned into an emergency brooding/chick/duckling rearing pen, so cleaning in there will have to wait because my muscovy thinks nothing of hunting and attaching herself to ones leg requiring help to remove her....so. a tad protective that one. but that's okay. she's got 7 ducklings. i don't blame her. and a shovel can be a scary thing. somehow. and she's usually a perfectly wonderful duck....just until the babies are on their own.....
we had our one hive that we'd already split this year decide to swarm anyways, but we managed to catch the swarm! so we'll be visiting our PTO buddy brian at innisfil creek honey shortly to get some new equipment....we really wanted 2 hives. lost one. split the one, had 2, then the 1 swarmed again and now we have 3. and we only had equipment for 2 hives so...need a pile of extra boxes, because we don't have enough LOL. So that was sunday....one minute everything was quiet and bees coming and going and 5 minutes later the world was humming and a huge ball of bees flew out from the hive, and up towards our tree....so i ran and got our box we had set as a swarm lure (with lemon grass oil in it) and DH threw it in the tractor bucket and drove the tractor over and raised the bucket right up into the middle of the flying swarm. They went in!!!!! amazing. I will admit we pulled up the lawn chairs and grabbed some cold drinks and watched them do their thing up there in the tractor bucket for about 2 hours.....so this weekend we'll need to check everyone and make sure we have queens/queen cells etc in all the hives....and of course get and put together the new equipment and paint it and hope that we are now in front of the bees and not playing catch up! LOL. second year with bees. learning every day!
Went into the one pen yesterday and my old girls were needing some clipping of nails and beaks....everyone is all happy again-incredible how fast the older ones grow when they don't root around as much any more. they're happy to just sit on the roost and eat and lay an egg every other day and eat and sleep. so everyone got their pedicures and beaks trimmed that needed it. I have managed to lose yet another pair of clippers...i have 3 pairs, and can only find 1-the 1 i use for the dogs and cats. ug. :sAng_banghead: I'm sure i'll find them some day. after i get another pair....of course. And today the ground is being worked, and corn should be in by wednesday night! whoohoo-now we just need NEED some rain.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 19, 2021 11:59 am

Lovely sunny day, could use a bit of rain...
if I sit quietly in the garden I can hear the hosts and the dandelions grow !!
it seems to also be an amazing year for violets, the front are of lawn that is in the shade and has no dandelions in it, actually looks blue, very pretty, who knew there were so many here

Return to “Around the Waterer”