Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by JimW » Wed May 27, 2020 4:29 pm

Good afternoon, a tad warm here today. Just finished freshening up the birds' water and giving everyone a light mist with the hose. Preparing some new brooder bins for bird I am picking up tomorrow. One day POULTRY ROAD TRIP tomorrow!!! Peterborough.... Meaford.... Kincardine and then home....1200 km round trip. Packing lots of drinks, snacks and lunch as I don't want to waste a bunch of time in busy drive-thru lines for food. Kind of worried about washroom stops though, as I will not be taking the 401 except for part of the way home, hopefully gas station washrooms are open?

Well back to doing a bit of work, before my next break.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed May 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Well, @JimW , at least you have the option of pulling over to the side of the road to "check the tire pressure" on the passenger side of your vehicle if it turns out that there are no gas station washrooms open. ;-)
Have fun on your road trip, and don't forget to post some pics of the newcomers.
The good part of this heat incident is that our two week old quail are out in the old quail tractor and have indicated that they no longer need supplementary heating. lol.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

spuddog59
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by spuddog59 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:37 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:18 am
Big find here two weeks ago - my brother discovered that the neighbours property along the road has some ramps aka wild garlic. So I went over that weekend having never picked it before and found that 5 acres of forest was 40% covered in wild garlic on the forest floor. That property changed hands 10 years ago - the new property owners abandoned the house and built a solar panel barn and live elsewhere and I've seen them on the property 4 times in 10 years (and nobody there in winter). We don't even know how to find them to ask permission so we have been jumping the fence from my place and picking.
Who would do the same?

Sounds to me like you are being a good neighbor by helping keep the "weeds" down! :dance:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri May 29, 2020 7:43 am

CHeeping heard in the main coop from under turkey hen #40! Hope they make it.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri May 29, 2020 8:29 am

Good morning, I was up early this morning to put the garbage out, but now want to go back to bed. lol. Getting too old for poultry road trips. lol. But still fun, even if it was just drive, drive, quick stop, drive.... 17 hours .... 1200 km.... at least the traffic was light. Got some turkeys, chickens and put a deposit of a pig, to pick up being of July. :) Well truth be told only getting half a pig. lol

Well time to get a coffee or three and do something. last day of heat and humidity here, then back to cool. :)

JimW
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri May 29, 2020 2:07 pm

Sounds like fun Jim, I miss being able to go anywhere.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Fri May 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Wasn't there something about having to take it easy an carefully for a while??? @JimW
Mutt chickens for eggs

JimW
Head Chicken

Post by JimW » Fri May 29, 2020 9:14 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Wasn't there something about having to take it easy an carefully for a while??? @JimW
Haha.... ya I guess I am not doing so well at the taking it easy. Though a friend of mine is building me 2 new 4 x 8 breeding coops, so that is helping a lot. Though I did do something to my back the other day, so will be slowing down for a few days until I figure out what is going on.

Heading out in the boat fishing on Sunday, first time in a boat since October, can't wait!!
Black & Blue Poultry

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm

So #40 hatched 5 healthy chicks when we moved her to a private coop. She was being hassled by a young girl and one of the eggs got squished. Baby was peeping a wriggling away so I got it out and it may or may not make it depending on if the blood vessels had shrunk enough. One more is just pipped and may get out or not. ANother couple of eggs were behind and had quit. Not sure what is up this year with eggs because they seem to be strung out.
Also no trip to Emerg necessary and no major damage to handlers.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun May 31, 2020 9:37 am

Peeping under Kathleen this am.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”