Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Fri May 22, 2020 12:01 pm

Morning all! yep, still morning, for another 6 minutes or so......
Herb garden is all planted. brussel sprouts are in. potatoes are in. did you know a 75 foot row takes about 102 shovel fulls of shovelling? i did 2 rows. 3 different kinds of potatoes. the lettuce is in. the one planter (an old water trough) is planted with geraniums and gazanias and marigolds. The greenhouse finally has a little bit of space opening up! i need to get the vegetable garden in - like yesterday.....sigh. But it's hotter out than i thought and planting the herb garden (thyme, parsley, oregano, 3 kinds of mint-in pots, sweet grass, lemon grass, basil (4 types), garlic and onion chives, sage, lavender, chamomile......forget to put the dill in, but will get that in later....and i find that i'm not feeling super great right now so taking a break and proof reading a student's thesis. just realized it's 26 outside. no wonder i found it super hot...lol.
I'm hoping to get the bulk of the vegetable garden planted in the next 2 days....at least by the end of the weekend.

hatch in the incubator going. i had a turkey happen 5 days early....mom must have been sitting on in out in the barn or something for a few days. well, it actually hatched in the incubator sigh. so panic pulled all the eggs out into the hatcher, and now there's another turkey and a guinea in there....guineas were supposed to hatch today, turkeys tomorrow, and chickens tomorrow. lol. chickens haven't pipped yet...but i can hear some cheeping. my aim is to process all the adult turkeys with the exception of the one nice royal male, my pair of reds, and 3 royal hens. then everyone else gets processed and these youngsters replace them. i have no clue what to do with the guineas, likely sell....or gift...or something. they're so bloody noisy, the sun comes up they make noise, the sun goes down they make noise. the wind blows they make noise, the chicken walks in the grass the guineas make noise. and the guinea hen is sitting on a nest full of duds (i pulled them out of the incubator) and 2 good eggs, so hopefully those will hatch together and she'll get off the nest-which is smack in the middle of my wood pile. we put a piece of plywood over her so at least when it's raining she doesn't get soaking wet. argh!

horses are shedding like crazy. lots of brushing the last few weeks...lol. i could make 9 more horses i think!
well it's now 12. so good afternoon everyone!
guess it's lunch time and then out to plant the vegetable garden as much as i can. hopefully without getting heat stroke. put up the hummingbird feeders and have at least 3 pairs of hummers! and 3 pairs of blue birds now taking mealworms from the feeder. Lots of birds this year. And, we have our first squirrel. i cannot wait for our puppy to be 100% again so i can turn her loose on it! lol

have a great friday everyone!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun May 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Good evening. Still working on getting "the dirty dozen" (quail babies) out of the upstairs spare bedroom. They will be in their new-to-them digs shortly: the tractor house/run that previously housed the d'Uccles boys, and the last batch of quails prior to that. I disinfected an electric hen, and hubby is re-installing it, and I just need to add new bedding to the house, shovel a whole big pile of wood chips into their run, add feeder and temporary waterer (automatic waterer will be installed shortly), and introduce said little stinkers.
Next up, hubby will install another hover, borrowed from the main quail tractor, now that the quail no longer need heat at all, to the broody/summer coop that was also previously occupied by the d'Uccles prior to Wallace's integration into the main flock. Which happened faster than I ever thought it would, BTW. He's like the annoying little brother to them, but the hens just shrug their wings and for the most part pretend he's not there.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 pm

Lol @Jaye that reminds me of when I first introduced Sherman. All my two year old ladies were like "we don't need no stinkin man"

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 25, 2020 12:09 pm

redbud.jpg
Our redbuds are blooming! Spectacular.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm

My redbud just started blooming and it's so hot outside the blooms are up and gone in a day. we are over 30C down here right now. My poor freshly almost finished planting garden looks horrible! I've watered, and will need to water again tonight so hopefully the plants recover overnight. The asparagus grew a foot today. seriously. this is way way too warm. my horses will hopefully finish shedding now.....argh!
all the windows are open, the fans are on, the birds are hiding out in the breeze blowing through the barn. i sure hope this isn't a sign of a hot dry summer coming. Corn will be planted tomorrow. Just waiting on the evening to start cooling down to get going outside again.....we lost 3 lilac bare root trees out of 18 to the heat...just cannot keep them watered enough....but the others all seem to be doing well. we caved and put the ac on.

looks like i'm back to work on the 3rd to fire up equipment and start getting orders out and inventorying for getting the lab back up and running. the restrictions on occupancy are something else.....we will be running at 20% for at least a month. that's 2 people....and then 40% for another month. then back to 60% and they figure on 60% until the end of 2021. and somehow they are "striving for 100% of the outcomes"....hunh? not sure how to make that happen, but we'll do our best. also have to decide if i am going to put myself through the pain of online teaching again this fall. yuck. i'm not sure that i want to do that. lectures will not happen face to face for sure.

decisions. Just locked down more ducks and chickens, and chickens for @Bayvistafarm too. Might be a road trip coming up for one of us. So busy with work this week though.
hope everyone stays cool. and i just hope when the thunderstorms finally do move through to break the heat that they aren't awful!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 pm

Anyone else having an onslaught of mosquitoes? They are crazy bad and hungry here. All of a sudden, just since yesterday - and we have had a decent breeze here too. I don't get it. We haven't had rain in probably a week. Last night we had four drops, and the forecasted rain this morning never materialized, so why are they here en masse?
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon May 25, 2020 8:31 pm

Yes we have some but we got rain last night and this am - yay!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:36 am

Slept with all the windows open last night, first time this year. Was hot yesterday, but the humidity didnt roll in til the afternoon, did not use the air yesterday, but it will get a workout today I am pretty sure.

Cardinals and Orioles nesting and flitting about. Sure pretty to look at and listen to. Doves fledging. Havent seen any baby robins yet.

BlackieWackie set on her eggs a week or so ago. so maybe some chicks finally this year. Peachie sets were unsuccessful. Thinking someone else will go broody soon too. Getting lots of eggs. Tear down sparrow nests at least once a day. Dratted things.

Ready to ween the first two goat babies and they both have new homes wanting them. Then I wont have to share the milk, I only get about a half litre a day now, just enough for my coffee. Cinco due in ten days or so, she is big as a house. Nine years, we have never had triplets here, wondering if this is the time.

Missing the Catherine again she is back up at her moms. Her mom asked her how things are in Collingwood, Cath hasnt lived there for close to 30 yrs. Its a trial.

Will take it pretty easy during the heat, one of the percs of being retired. A little weeding, work on cleaning a stall, quit when I want/need to.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 am

Jaye wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 pm
Anyone else having an onslaught of mosquitoes? They are crazy bad and hungry here. All of a sudden, just since yesterday - and we have had a decent breeze here too. I don't get it. We haven't had rain in probably a week. Last night we had four drops, and the forecasted rain this morning never materialized, so why are they here en masse?
Same here, crowds of mosquitos only interrupted by clouds of black flies and to add to this deluge, there seem to be droves of wasps, managed to step on one yesterday, boy that hurts.

Seem to be doing nothing but sorting out bird/squirrel disputes, yesterday it was a pair of robins and a black squirrel obviously trying to raid their nest, today a big skirmish in the Alberta spruce on the patio where the little Chipping sparrows nest every year, and as I have seen chipmunk running around, I was wondering out loud to DH about possibility of chipmunk bothering the sparrows???? I see the ruddy chipmunk half way up the spruce sticking his head out of the branches, the patio seems to be undermined by giant bumblebees, sometime I think all this healthy organic living we practice here should be occasionally supplemented by a healthy dose of some deadly chemical. ;)

spuddog59
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by spuddog59 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:56 am

Morning! ....barely. All you farm people are likely on 'second breakfast' by now, lol! Just wondering if anyone else is putting up rhubarb and/or asparagus at this time of year?

Return to “Around the Waterer”