Attachments
C0126393-3D08-40C4-BE85-C7ECA657B686.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:01 am

I have had to rescue birds before in wind so strong they couldnt get back to the barn. There was one little pullet that actually tumbled between the coops in a gust once a couple years ago. I carried her in to safety.... Hate the windiness - its bad again today. I am seriously tired of fixing the greenhouse. Looks like i will be back at it when this wind quits if it quits. Well no takers for last years calendar... And no requests for this year....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:34 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:45 pm
We are scared they might. We were robbed a few years ago of DHs work tools. There are a lot of problems in this area made worse by the pandemic.
Most of those that would steal a turkey woudn't have a clue what to do with a live bird to turn it into food. Now if this was a third world country, the reverse would most likely be true,
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:58 am

Unfortunately around here they would certainly know! Got much worse after the huge grow-op moved in. It was shut down but people still come down the road to look.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:50 am

I have just been informed that the kitchen is looking more nd more like an old folks home! I was prepping an antibiotic for a turkey (from the vet) glucosamine for the cat and metacam for an old bird with a touch of a sore hip!
Mutt chickens for eggs

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:31 am

Good morning all! Merry Christmas!
Please take a minute to vote for picture of the year-voting is open until end of boxing day! Picture of the Year - 2021

Woke up to rain rain and more rain. soaking wet horse, cat wanting in because "it's raining out here!". Nice slow quiet morning. both DH and I are fighting something (likely the influenza A that one of my coworkers tested positive for about a week ago-neg for covid) so we are having a nice quiet day here at home. Stuffed turkey breast for dinner later on. oddly enough i'm thinking about cleaning out the chicken pen today, on christmas....hm.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:46 am

Good morning, still waiting for the ice on the front steps to melt enough to scrape, it's an adventure to get out of the house every day :)
noticed this morning that a group of turkeys came all the way to the front of the house and "harvested" the red styrofoam "berries" decorating my greenery pots. Apparently needed some change in their diet, I guess RED and Styrofoam is pretty irresistible ;)

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:03 am

LOL i was cleaning up in the barn yesterday and some enterprising individuals (likely the ducks) have reduced our 2 extra pieces of baby blue styrofoam wall insulation to mostly nothingness.....hm. Wonder if there's a nutritional difference between red, blue, pink and white. They don't seem to like the white.....but this was over the last summer- i just haven't had time to sweep up behind the equipment until yesterday. and we didn't lose any birds, so.....hopefully the turkeys aren't iced out of their normal diet up there! And i hear there's more ice/snow to come this weekend just in time for new years??!

Well some work in the barn done yesterday-amazing how the moulted feathers tend to collect on the far side of the hay under the things like the log splitter....so all that was moved and cleaned out. Looking way better now. So today i think i'll start on the pens. I think if i can get DH to empty the trailer every so often i should be able to get it all done today. And it's nice enough here to let the birds outside so they won't go all nuts while i'm shovelling. bonus! Not many end of decembers i can remember with nice weather for letting the birds out down here.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:07 am

We saw about 100 turkeys gleaning a corn field a couple of days ago. Quite the sight. The corn here hasn't been completely cleared up and the turkeys seem to be dong well.
I hate the freezing rain and ice especially when you have to go up a slope to get into the chicken pens. I didn't do birds for about 3 days because DH didn't want my leg ripped up again!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:12 pm

Yesterdays excitement was an apparent bloodbath in the snow. Off to look for the corpse/injured bird. Found a very sheepish looking turkey hen with a BROKEN TOENAIL! she is totally fine but Oh boy in the the snow it looked terrible.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”