Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by ross » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Yep Martin, tell me how many politicians does take to fill in a pothole ?
Depends on how thin yu slice um 🤠🐴☝️
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:36 am

Good morning,
Cardinal singing to me first thing in the morning, doesn't get much better than that :)
Black squirrel on the fence and crows flying overhead and right away the place looks like it's coming to life.
Noticed buds on the birch trees yesterday , no doubt about it nature is waking up
Have a sunny one!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:09 pm

Well went to the TO zoo today to see their exhibition of Orchids. It was absolutely outstanding! Will post some pics when I get a minute. Clearly some of the animals thought i was spring especially the Barbary sheep - 'nuff said LOL! Lovely birds in the tropical houses. Very quiet with few visitors! Quite brought my spirits up.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Blizblaz
On the Roost

Post by Blizblaz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am

No spring here!
Attachments
72ADB2F8-2C76-4C91-BF36-8D227C27D6EF.jpeg

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:26 am

Sorry, it has been cancelled here too :(
Turns out all the wildlife was out not to celebrate spring, but to prepare for next bit of winter.
Not really a complaint here we are still more then 80cm bellow last years snow fall, I know it's not over yet :)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:08 am

Is this March “in like a 🦁 out like a 🐑

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 am

No hydro here now...

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Good lord its blustery!! Soooo I made a big crockpot of chicken soup, and its simmering away nicely. I made some bread too. Its in the pans (2), and enough to make buns in a muffin tin. Yum.

All this talk on FB and the news about stock piling food and meds is kind of scary. Best way to start shortages and panic in stores. I guess I can say that.... my 2 freezers are well stocked with chickens/turkeys, and lots of veggies. Also the apple crisps and lasagnes and pies I made up. Freezer full of hamburger from the last hamburger cow (600 lbs)... and plenty of other stuff I always have on hand. Pasta, butter, bacon, cheese, eggs.... and well.. Robax for muscle pain, IF i get sick, and have achy muscles...lol. Don't have a lot of 'cold' meds in stock.

I suppose it can happen. BAD stuff has happened in the past. Although that scary spanish flu took out all ages. And ya.. everyone is saying the regular flu takes out a lot of people. Try to stay healthy... and sucks if you have underlying health troubles, like my dad. Emphysema, AND COPD. Guess thats what smoking does to you after 60 years. Well, doesn't help. I guess IF he happens to get sick with this COVID virus, it will be so long to him. Beyond me, that some people smoke like chimneys for longer, and healthy as can be. Must be genetics.

Been splitting a lot of wood this winter. I don't burn wood anymore, living up here in the brick house, but both sons do, and they are too busy with working and family to get much done. As it is... Gary cuts down in bush, and drags up and if I'm lucky they (jeremy) and gary cut it into chunks for me to split. This is what I got done the other morning. The left side, most of it WAS split by me a few days ago, and still in the tractor bucket. The rest I split and stacked where the log splitter was, and I ran out of steam to get the bigger chunks rolled onto the splitter. As it was, I needed the splitter moved, and now it is.
splitting.jpg
The birds are busy at the feeders. Well, the seed is blowing away mostly. There is a HUGE drift at the top of my garden, other side of the flower garden fence, lol. The kids will like to dig into that. Got lots of snow last night... and daughter in law said that the kids are going outside staggered today, and if they could get a ride to bring sleds/toboggans to school. Thats nice, seeing as how I thought these teachers were working to rule, and not doing anything extra. OH GOD, THERES THAT WORD I KEEP USING... THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That word anymore seems to be a racial slur, GAWD.

Ugh.

I've got geraniums started, all 50 germinated and came up, (3 days!!!!!!!!!). All the 25 Dahlia seeds I started are up. My snapdragons and petunia seeds are just germinating. The seed is pelleted. I started for fun 6 sweet pepper plants, and a few of my own kept seed for HOT peppers. The sweet ones are up. The majority will wait until March 15th. The growlight I bought from Paula did such a good job of growing them last spring, they had enormous peppers on them in May. Too big. The ones I started later in April far outdid the ones that were too big. AND bought some potato seed (Clancy), going to give those a try. Apparently the taste is outstanding, and they store well. All my potatoes look like octopuses right now, ugh. I will also grow some from a seed potato also. Want to put in an asparagus starter bed... and move the roots next spring. I keep thinking I'm going to get another trench dug/ready in the fall, and I never seem to. Maybe this spring, dig the trench, put in some nice HOT manure, and other goodies, and keep stirring it all summer, and move the roots into the row next spring. My patch is superb behind the house (6 years old now), but when asparagus is on... theres not enough for all my kids, lol. I never seem to get enough to pickle anyhow, and I've been wanting to try that.

I also bought some small sized romaine lettuce seeds, and will start that soon as I get around to it. Then maybe have early lettuce... and put out in the greenhouse in April. If it gets frosty outside, it shouldn't hurt it too bad in there.

The wind is so bad, I keep thinking our power will go out. Then this whole post will be gone WITH the wind, lol.

So... we have family that live in Hagersville where the by-pass is shut down with protesters. Makes it hard for them to get into Hamilton, they have to travel a long way to get over the river on other roads. I remember going out there to visit them once, and we had to go nearly to Brantford and around thru Oshweken to get to their house. NOT fun at all. And these protesters blocking rail lines and setting fires... well, hard to not get going on all that. I guess I'd better not... but there WAS a good post I put on FB that my son sent me about people who are Vegan, and are protesting the oil/gas/natural gas pipelines. It better make them think because its dead on.

Well, you can probably tell I'm bored of being inside, lol. My bread is ready to bake... and I guess I will read some of my plant books I brought down from the attic.

Hope everyone is staying warm!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Wow Shirley, I know where to come for food if mine runs out . As far as these people I like Dons “you people “ myself . 👍🤘

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:03 am

Nice sunny cold morning here, and feeling like the this long, sad winter is on its way out. It was the toughest one I’ve ever had to endure.

Phil, my dear companion and partner of 35 years passed away 3 weeks ago after a year and a half of cancer. The last month was tough as we came to the realization that it was terminal and his pain became increasingly worse. I am grateful that we have a health system that offered us excellent care and support for him to stay at home and allowed me paid time off work to look after him. He was able to stay at home until the day before he died and passed away peacefully the next day.

I guess we all deal with these life challenges differently, but I’m certain that my experience with raising animals as pets and livestock gave me a good grounding in dealing with the challenges we faced and how to deal with them emotionally and realistically. It doesn’t matter if you are human or beast, we all live and die, and all should be treated with love and compassion and no matter how hard, accept it.

And to top it off, the plant I’m working at is closing in September.

So, I move on, and look forward to a new spring!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”