Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:45 pm

Lovely pic, very cute.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:22 am

Definitely looks like Ameraucana, possibly Lavender, very pretty

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:25 pm

Yep definitely looks ameraucana! well, there's thunderstorms all around us and did we get a drop of rain? nope. it's so hot and muggy. yuck! it's hard to breath in this weather. Need to get out of the hot work clothes and into barn clothes and see if the kids are all still alive. Mom duck (duck of the month for this month) was on 27 some odd eggs. yesterday morning there were eggs. yesterday doing chores there were anywhere between 21 and 27 ducklings. And 1 still hatching!

i sold all the royal palms last year....sorry @Bayvistafarm. i just have the 2 red slates now, both doing nothing but eat and look pretty. part of the downsizing. i have a pile of spent layers and young cockerels to get rid of. if i would get some time off work i'd go to hagersville, but alas, no time off work before surgery happens. hopefully it happens sometime soon! I sure wouldn't survive driving a bus, let alone a bus for public school!!! lol.

hope this weather breaks soon!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:01 am

Good morning, temperature drop from 30 C yesterday to 14 C this morning made me think of a frost on the pumpkin and still no rain.
Grandchildren annual visit, after 3 days this is what the dogs looked like, I am not posting picture of what I looked like because it was pretty much the same as the dogs ;)
Dogs after grandchildren visit -).jpg

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks for the giggle OC :).

Linda

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Ducklings! And this is only the first set....apparently DH found 3 more in the hallway yesterday and just put them in with these, and then i found another duck and 9 ducklings in the horse paddock. Black duck had hatched a mess of them (12 or so) up in the hay.....go figure. So conservative count from last night is roughly 37 ducklings and 2 very good mommas.....
ducklings 2021.jpg
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:22 pm

Ha! Ha! You thought you were downsizing and just like that your numbers are right back up.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:52 pm

yeah. well. this weekend all the non-laying chickens are being freezer camped. That should significantly thin the flock! slacking freeloaders....sigh. we do have 20 or so grow out cockerels that are all feeling their oats and terrorizing the girls that will go nicely on the bbq some day. The ducks are so self sufficient in comparison! my old drake can't walk anymore, so he'll be going as well...along with several of this years drakes that are all grown up already. montreal smoked duck is absolutely incredible by the way! We opened up the horse stall last night, tonight i'm going to try to get the bale holder installed so molly can have her hay in the stall (and eat it too!), so we don't lose piles of it to rot outside. And we can put a big round in there....since surgery is in 2 weeks (maybe) i won't be forking hay much afterwards. We're changing directions with the chickens and i'm going to keep all the youngsters (and those laying) i figure about 15-20 of the birds right now, and 2 roosters-a lemon welbar (split silver and gold) and our really loud ultra amazing protector boy (Mike). all those birds will end up in one pen, the ducks in another pen and the 2 turkeys in the last pen. Molly will get the 2 horse stalls combined, with lots of room to get away from the weather in the winter. I'm going to put another layer of wind break plastic into the doorway. Need to put ramps up for the duck pen so the ducks can go in and out of the barn as they want, and a pool for them outside. then we can keep the water mess OUTSIDE permanently. This then also means all the birds will be downstairs in 3 pens, and we can put the beehives behind the outside coops for the winter. or something like that. i know, best laid plans are always messed up by something LOL. The other option is all the birds in the outside coops and then turn that area of the barn into a shop area....put the ducks in one coop with outside access and the birds into the other, then remove the pens and redo around the chicken coop so they have outside access without trashing everything.....hm i'll likely do the coop thing since that will discourage the rats that are currently in the barn because there will be no food for them there. although then we'll need a pen for the ducks because they are MESSY and i do get tired of duck poop everywhere and won't be able to keep them out of the barn....since they'd walk through the horse door i'm sure. like i said, best laid plans....ha ha

Driving in this morning the neighbour's peacocks were sunning in the middle of the road. not a plan! but boy is he beautiful! the girls had a bunch of kids with them too, so i'm sure the neighbours are happy!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:16 am

Good morning,
My wild turkey nursery coop has morphed in to high school on an outing without supervision....
They have decided that the large pines in a fenced in paddock was perfect for their roost, every evening the bloody twenty of them jostle over the preferred spot about 30 feet up, they make an amazing racket before they finally settle for the night,

Next day there is a bit of a race to collect the feathers, because Addy the pup finds them very palatable, not racing her for the turkey droppings, no way to clean that up. :barf:
so here is the question... are they going to move on ???? Soon ????
Turkey daycare.jpg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29 am

Collect any perfect feathers and sell them to the Trading Post in Almonte?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”