Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Re: Good Morning!

Post by KimChick » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:31 am

Good morning everyone!
Tom - As we have no bush on our property, it's easy to see when a tree is down in the bush outside the fence line. Taking a walk is a good idea, though; we will most likely do that in the Spring to clean brush and vines away from the fences.
Our first Spring here, DH had to take down a dead ash that was behind our garage. If / when we get a couple of goats, they will like jumping on the stump, which is in the middle of a pile of rocks.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:12 am

TomK wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:08 am
Mornin folks...one of the "hazards" of owning a fair chunk of land is that one doesn't get to keep a close eye on things as much as one would like..so MJ and I made the ' resolution' to walk the land more..both for the exercise and staying in closer contact with the property...as Kathy notes, lots of ash down or dying...a couple of really decent trees on their way out so I will harvest them and get the lumber milled out of them...the others should make great firewood...
Even on our relatively small pice of land we cut two dead ash trees couple of years ago and I have counted 4 ash that are going, couple of them really huge trees that will have to stand until they fall, too difficult to get to.
Since we have stopped heating with wood since DH melted the heat registers in the living room last year , I will try to think of the dead ash as contributing to health of the soil wherever they land.
Environment Canada has us under "weather statement" for Saturday since yesterday, is it just me, or does that sound a bit too panic inducing, way ahead of the time?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Good morning everyone!
OC - I would say that it never hurts to be prepared.
My hens gave me a New Year's gift the other day - 10 eggs! It only happened 5 times last year. In 2018, I was getting 10 or more a day in the latter part of January, and February through to some of June. Then again, our Black and Red Sex-links were younger.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:08 pm

OC if they say to soon , inducing panic for some , if to late , not doing job . Can’t win
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:25 pm

I think there has been a lot of change in the last few years. We used to live in Orillia and work in TO. Snow was a fact of life and you prepared for it on the assumption it would happen. Now it seems there is a maor panic for 5cm of snow when before it didn't get commenteed on until it was 15+. Most people just acted accordingly. Now we are so wired that we expect updates galore rather thn just going with the flow. JMO.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm

KB i can tell you that things haven't changed in this neck of the woods. When you live on or near Georgian Bay it aint news until its 15cm plus.
I work in Midland (a 35 minute drive in good weather). I am the backroad queen and I know which roads to take based on the direction of the wind lol...like any good country girl!

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:43 pm

In defense of "chicken littles" like myself, I count on the weather forecast to determine whether or not I should switch my "working from home" days: I'm required to submit any changes to my (hard-fought) negotiated WFH days at least 24 hours in advance. I'm not switching days for less than a significant accumulation of snow. However, if it's still coming down aplenty during the commute, or if there is significant accumulation overnight and the streets are still in bad shape, or there is even a whiff of freezing rain, on the other hand ... not worth the risk for me.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:48 am

It's surprising how things have changed, it used to be they would tell you it would rain that day and you would laugh it off as the weather forecast was usually wrong. Now if they forecast rain starting at 6pm they are usually dead on

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:51 am

Around here it's crazy....the sky is falling! the last "please stay home today because the roads will be horrible" was less than 2 cm of snow, and i think i even wore my running shoes. definitely has changed in this area-we usually get some scary streamers off the lake for snow squalls, and those can be brutal-0 visibility in a second....but the last few years they have built it up a lot-they made it sound so bad the other day i left 30 minutes later, and the roads were bare and dry. um....oops. oh well.
it can change fast....
and today it's pouring rain and 5C? and a rainfall warning? in january?
i think mother nature might be sampling the new edibles....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:40 am

Crazy windy here and 2C already at 9am, so taking down the christmas lights outside today, it's warmer then it was when I was putting them up in December.
First double yolker of the year yesterday, so I think they are ramping up for spring :)
Double.jpg

Return to “Around the Waterer”