General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:22 am

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 am
Its a hunker down morning here. Blowing snow, and a half hour of freezing rain went by and now more snow. Not going to town or anywhere, just lay about, like the chickens. Put the goats and the horse in the barn last night at the behest of St Catherine of the Overcautious Worrry. Retrospect says it was a good move.
Retrospect says "She was right " ;)

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:23 am

Good morning,
We are cleaning up after last snow, making room for more, but looking at the East coast storm , 20cm seems like a walk in the park.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 am

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:22 am
Farrier1987 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 am
Its a hunker down morning here. Blowing snow, and a half hour of freezing rain went by and now more snow. Not going to town or anywhere, just lay about, like the chickens. Put the goats and the horse in the barn last night at the behest of St Catherine of the Overcautious Worrry. Retrospect says it was a good move.
Retrospect says "She was right " ;)
It happens. You shouldn't act so surprised.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:12 am

Hi All!

Jim-thinking of you! Just had preop for my mom on friday. I hope that your surgery goes great! Good news is that you aren't in the worst shape or you wouldn't have been bumped....(small consolation....). Hang in there. the waiting is the hardest part! My friend just had a valve done, and he was the same, nothing over 5 pounds for 8 weeks, off work for 3 months. He went back to work this week! We helped them out with moving feed and cleaning out the eavestroughs and running the dog and stuff like that. He's doing great, he said the boredom was the worst....

Thursday evening was the second worst drive home i have ever had in my life. Blowing snow, accidents everywhere, a foot of snow on the ground accumulating FAST, and people being idiots on the roads! not a plow in sight, but of course "sight" was about 2 feet past the front of the truck. i left work at 4 or so. I pulled into my farm at just about 7:30pm. it usually takes me 45 minutes. I lost at least 8 people from in front of me on the road-just driving off the road, missing their turns, spinning out or just plain disappearing somewhere....unbelievable. At one point there was a series of 3 hills, and i was literally in 4x4 driving around all the people stuck spinning their wheels and making ice. People were actually abandoning their vehicles just up the road from where i live because they couldn't see the road! feeling like i was in an apocalypse movie....i had decided i would pull into a friend's place that lives literally 30 feet from the highway about 2/3 of the way to my place from work. i didn't even see their house. I'm driving going it must be around here somewhere when i saw the turn in a break in the snow -the turn to head south to my place! so i did make it home....but one of those wonderful drives where the snow and freezing stuff is freezing on the windshield, defroster on high/hot and needing to open the window in the truck because it's too darned hot, just trying to keep it between the hydro poles and the mailboxes.....shook another 2 hours before i could get to sleep....I'm glad that this storm today is on the weekend. I can stay home! i picked up feed on thursday on the way to work....that probably helped me not get stuck on the way home too. and i was actually thinking well, if i get stuck i have 200 pounds of feed that will keep me alive HA HA. but i should have just stayed at work for the night. that was absolutely brutal. Today at least it's doing it while the sun is up....haha. I'M STAYING HOME. if anyone needs me, they know where to find me HA HA i have courses to prepare and midterm exams/tests to compose for my students. and today is a good day to do that. and close the blinds and find a nice toasty sweater and bake in front of the wood stove. (I will have to venture out to feed animals....hay needed soon for the bale feeder....)

everyone with fur and feathers (except the dog and horses) will stay in today I think. Going to close in the turkeys too to keep the snow out. a bunch of those doorknobs are sitting on eggs. argh! just what we need...poults when winter finally arrives. oh yay.
Tried letting the cat out (she was at the door going nuts)...i opened the door up and she ran back into the living room somewhere. I suspect she's inside the back of the piano in shock.....
my ducks are also confused, and laying eggs. doesn't look like anyone is sitting yet....they have quite the nest going. piled up the shavings and burying the eggs. i wouldn't mind some little ducklings running around in spring. but apparently they aren't going to wait until spring. ah well.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. stay safe!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:13 pm

It's sunny here but it's -27 with a -41 wind chill and drifting snow. It's been quite frigid here for the last week. Temperatures are supposed to be more normal, or above normal, for the rest of January, but it won't help if we still have strong winds and really cold wind chills. There isn't much snow here and a lot of it has blown away. :(

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 pm

@Shnookie I think all your snow blew over here into ontario! and then carried on into newfoundland.....i have a great deal of sympathy for newfoundland right now!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:58 pm

This is what is called, being in the middle of it,
Ottawa at 7pm, hope nobody is on the road now
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 5.50.54 PM.jpg

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:15 pm

ah yes, we looked like that here this morning about 9am

Stellap
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Stellap » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks Ross!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:36 pm

Well I think we got off lightly here, the snow isn't over my boots!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”