Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:43 am

yep, no goats. no kids either. honestly 2 warring sworn enemy cats are enough.....lol.
Another friend of mine has a mini mare that could come and stay if molly starts showing signs of depression. but given she was playing in the field this morning with the dog, and the dog was genuinely playing and not just trying to avoid being killed, i think she'll be okay. there was a chicken sitting on her while she had her breakfast this morning, and she's actively trying to kill the guineas, so i think she's doing fine. she did come trotting up for breakfast, and we had a good grooming (my hoodie is now covered in horse spit)....and she's off in the south paddock watching the neighbour drag his driveway. so i think things are good.
i noticed a huge pit in the duck stall this morning. i think they are getting ready to lay. i dread that. i have to make sure that i take ALL the eggs from them....well i'll leave 3 or 4 but i do not want 60 babies appearing again this year like last! that was insanity!
the turkeys also scraped out a corner yesterday...and the chickens are laying en force again.
we also saw swans going north. huge flocks. i'm confused....i thought they went SOUTH for winter. but they were definitely headed north. hm.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:05 am

Glad Molly is doing OK! My 2 little SF girls laid their first eggs a couple of days ago.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am

Good Sunday morning to all. Just got in from cleaning the coops. Not a really big deal but there is a fair amount of waste to get out to the manure pile. BTW, that stuff was gold in the garden last year. I dug it out of the very bottom of the pile. I had lots and there was no odour. I managed finally to get all the pullets out and into their own pen with my kinda blank shooter Brabanter rooster. He's a gentle dude so it's a good choice I think. Not breeding and these July Hatch pullets are just now dropping a few eggs. I have a few Brabanter/EE pullets there so kinda interested in what they will lay colourwise. Should be soon. The bachelor's get along well and seem somewhat puzzled at the sudden disappearance of the girls. They are all Blk Copper Marans except one..a mutt but really really interesting bird...a keeper I think just from appearances alone..I will see about posting a pic if him later this aft. In the meantime, attached I have some of the boys up on the roost as I cleaned. Watching me with some curiosity..not a lot...just some. Lol
And I am considering a venture this year into turkeys. A certain someone has lit that fire.
20210110_144151.jpg
Last edited by TomK on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:45 am

Pretty boyz Tom :).

Linda

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:37 pm

TomK wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am
They are all Blk Copper Martians .
New breed ? ;)

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:37 pm
TomK wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am
They are all Blk Copper Martians .
New breed ? ;)
Good one @Ontario Chick ...I swear I read it and caught some typos but that one slipped past my not so keen eyes
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:24 pm

I know some people will go a long way to get something nobody else has..... :lol:

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:09 pm

Farrier1987 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:14 pm
Goats are somewhat like kids. One is not usually a problem. Its when they form a group or committee to see what they can get into. One goat and one horse would probably be fine. Both herd animals, and they become a herd of two. Keep the horse in and the goat wont go too far. Doesn't mean they wont eat nearby fruit trees, gardens etc, but wont get terrible far from the horse. And you could always amputate one leg of the goat, that would help some too. A hind leg I think, works kind of like clipping a wing, doesn't killem, but slows em down a bit.

WLL and I have discussed this, and in order to preserve a semblance of friendship, we have agreed to not discuss it any more. No goats!!! she said. No goats!!!! she shall have.
She said NO MORE GUINEAS about 4 times too. She still has some, and breeds more. (or lets them, LOL).

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 am

No more guineas.....lol. these ones will live out their days however they will-mostly because i cant catch the buggers. they're noisy, and they do alert us to predators. but i'm not actively hatching any EVER again. and they're so dumb i doubt they'll raise their own....

NO GOATS.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:51 am

Good morning!
Tom - My end-of-May hatched pullets have just gotten the hang of laying. They seem like late bloomers.

Return to “Around the Waterer”