Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning!

Post by WLLady » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:20 am

that's certainly got good night vision! hope you figure out whats under there!

we are straight in line with the bad thunderstorms the last 2 days. already had one this morning, another rolling through in a bit judging by the thunder out there. We had a bad bad one yesterday. with nickel sized hail. the corn, soybeans and all the stuff in the garden have holes in the leaves. i think we won't lose anything, but it flattened the west ends of the rows of corn and my potatoes are basically crushed to the ground. sigh. oh well, they had potatoes already, so they won't be a total loss, and they may still do okay....the mulberries lost a bunch of branches, but saved the greenhouse-it's still standing. i put the mulberries in front of it precisely to take the brunt of the wind. looks like it worked.....but still. this is ridiculous. at least it's not 38C anymore. i'ts a nice 22 right now, with 100% humidity. Our bees swarmed again 2 days ago-from the SAME hive that swarmed before, so we caught that one and combined it yesterday with our latest established hive. hopefully we have it under control now. it's been a super busy year so far with all the bugs and weird weather, that's for sure! i have to clean out a coop that flooded yesterday in the rain, and get reinstall some window covers. i am totally unimpressed with the weather.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:53 pm

Yu wanta make Mother Nature laugh , just tell her your way of doin things lol lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:39 pm

mother nature be like.... "here hold my beer." I was trying to take lightning pics yesterday with burst and I was... poop it's all guna miss us! then the clouds literally started heading for us! LMAO. it was heading north east and then it was heading south east and 2 storms collided above us and we had to run for cover. the storm warning got pretty close to saying take shelter now. lol. with 6 warnings for different things but we got the rainfall warning after all the rain. we got about 2 inches of rain in about 1 hour. that's on top of the 6" we already got this year, I mean last week? LOL. the ground is so saturated it feels like walking on a sponge. no hail though, thankfully.

this wheelbarrow was empty and there is about 3.5" of water in it.
Screenshot_20210708-143000_Gallery.jpg
the ducks were loving it right before it really started coming down.
Screenshot_20210708-143014_Gallery.jpg
but this was the cell that turned our way and hammerd us minutes later.
Screenshot_20210708-143024_Gallery.jpg
and flooded the entire bean field, many rows in our garden, the grass everywhere and overfilled the duck pond but the overflow still works great, spilling it over into the beans. :-)
Screenshot_20210708-143702_Gallery.jpg
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Guess the beans got some extra fertilizer lol!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:37 am

For the cat folk
Attachments
354B061D-9538-4BB2-9F06-8E6FD0423AC0.jpeg
354B061D-9538-4BB2-9F06-8E6FD0423AC0.jpeg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:42 am

@ross you got that right!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:05 am

@ross funny cat cartoon :laugh:
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 am

Bit of a torrential downpour last night here, but nothing compared to some other Ontario storm, hope everybody is OK
Can't even imagine going thru a tornado, pretty sure our house wouldn't survive that.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Re: Niagara Show

Post by ross » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:43 pm

Show section locked so I put here FYI
Attachments
D1901B23-DAF5-4B17-BFDA-8D01FA448E60.jpeg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:46 am

morning all!

lost 2 hens to old age last week (8 and 7 yo), and a duck to a particularly nasty prolapse (had to do the right thing there). Have another duck (ironically the same blue one as the pic of the month this month) sitting on i swear somewhere between 15 and 20 eggs again. she's happily chasing all the other ducks out....so. maybe some more ducks in about 5 weeks or so. maybe! have some new fuzzybutts my sis and nieces hatched for me. they're in the basement brooder. there is always one that chirps as loudly as possible as long as possible....in EVERY hatch haha. i suspect she will be head hen eventually.

I found out that one can actually catch rats in a live trap quite easily! i put all the extra barn buckets and bins on top of the live trap and some cracked corn and chicken feed just inside the trap. i'm shocked it works! and happy! lol

So glad to see some shows starting up again! it's been a long year and a bit without.

The smoke is making for some incredible sunsets and sunrises lately.....shame that it's smoke....hopefully not too much burning in northern ontario! The flowers down here are in full swing, i have been overrun in yellow day lilies. so we're slowly moving them around and planting a pile along the driveway....they are definitely a renewable resource with sandy soil! AND since putting up a few mason bee homes we have so many mason bees! they hide on the underside of the lily leaves in the rain. we also have bluebirds on their second nesting, and the orioles are still around! amazing what planting a few trees can do for the diversity on a property! we are a bit scared as the 42 acres of soybeans are blooming now, and covered in honey bees....we have 5 hives going strong right now.....lol. might be a busy late summer for honey for us! oh, and yesterday i found 4 chickens claiming profusely that they were somehow trapped in the garden, not their fault, and couldn't get out....so instead of starving they helped with some bug eating. haha. i'll take the help. Still waiting on red tomatoes. have hundreds of green ones. it's going to be a busy fall!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”