Good Morning!

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning!

Post by ross » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Ahh Billy goaaats , baaad .... . The universal small farm animal . Milk , cheese ,butter ,meat , hide etc
All from one tiny critter . PS plus attitude to spare lol cheers 🍻 to the GOAT
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:26 pm

If I was to choose between having sheep and goats I choose sheep! They give you meat, milk, wool and hides but they’ll go out in inclement weather, forage well and tend to stay where you put them! The rams don’t stink, and the milk and products made from it don’t have that unique goaty flavour which can be a bit strong.
So @WLLady, I agree with you NO GOATS but what you need are sheep!!

(I do love making and eating goat cheese though :-) )
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:03 pm

Annnd when yu grab a sheep by the wool you get fresh lanolin on your hands to battle the cracked hands /personally like goats best they crack me up . Seems only young sheep’s are funny of what I had . Never did care for shearing sheep’s myself . Maybe a mini cow might work Kathy .

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Ha!Ha! I liked the guineas until I got a male and he was nasty to the chickens. Oh I forgot the noise in the barn, I had to wear earplugs in the barn. Nope no guineas for me either.

SusanH
Starting to Crow

Post by SusanH » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:19 pm

Sorry for delay on update. I lost a very dear friend. What a run I’ve had, first my father, then my husband, then my brother and then two friends. No tears left for chickens. But the good news is, Mercedes is fine! No mites. She responded to the TLC as recommended. All is well in the coop. Thanks again @Killerbunny and @WLLady !

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Hopefully only way now is up Susan 🙏❤️👍

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm

@SusanH I still have her Mother and Sister so I hope she stays well!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:18 am

Good morning,
Took the pup to the community field for a quick run, skating rink ready to use, clear instruction for safe use posted and while the citizens of Ottawa bitterly complain that they can't drive downtown to skate on the canal, anybody want to guess how many kids skating on the local rink at 10am on a sunny morning ?????

So inauguration today, hope all is as quiet as our community skating rink ;)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:38 am

I’ve found most not all city folk are complainers . “Somebody should do something “ is the phrase I hear most. Just to clear , not all city folk attitudes live in the city lol . Have a good one ☝️ .

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear @SusanH about the friend....but i am happy your chicken pulled through!

I have thought about a sheep. i have sheared in the past, eons ago. doubt i could do that now, but i have friends with sheep and could likely ask a favour if we needed. The only thing with sheep is if the paddock goes over a septic they can clog up the weeping bed with those pointy feet. LOL. so we are much more apt to get a sheep than anything else. However, Molly seems VERY very happy with her 7 deer friends that drop by every night.....so i think for now, we are going to be 1 horse, 1 dog, 3 cats (plus assorted barn cats), 14 guineas (still don't know where the 14th came from), about 40 chickens/roosters and 5 turkeys. it's enough. more than enough actually. AND the rats ate the floor in the one coop and now i'm pretty sure there's either possums or a skunk living under it....likely possums because i don't smell skunk musk. They have now excavated about a half ton of dirt from under the coop through the hole in the floor INTO the coop. and it's not rats.....there's no rat droppings anywhere. it's always something. this coming spring i need to raise the coop up a good foot above ground and replace the flooring.....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”