Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning!

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:12 pm

Thx!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm

theyre posted in fav recipes.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:12 pm

It started with the dogs catching a bunny last eve. Full moon. Baying and howling as they chased it down, bouncing off chain link fence, circling the yard about 6 times. Ranger the lab/pyrenese chasing it, Lop the corgi/shitsoo on the inside trying to cut it off. Bunny jumped over Lop about three times, cleared him by about four feet. But the boys were successful and got the accursed enemy. Ranger wouldnt come in at bedtime til threatened.

So at quarter to four this morning, Ranger got us up wanting out. To check on his treasure. Bayed and chased off another rabbit or a coon or a possum or something and then had breakfast al fresco on the patio. The Catherine decided that would be a good time to do laundry too. Came up and said there was water on the floor in the basement.

Dam sump pump. So we baled and bucketed about 20 five gallon pails up the stairs and out the door. Then I went to town. I took the old one with me. They said it would be a couple days and a minimum of fifty bucks to check out the motor and the float and pump and then maybe they could fix it or maybe not. They had a new pump that wrecked two hundred, so me and my credit card decided to take it home.

Glad it was a Monday not a Sunday, and the storm hadnt really started or I might have had to get Cath some more pails and it would have been hard on her to have to bail for the next three days.

I really cant complain about the old pump. We have been in here ten years and it was here then, and this is the first it has been a problem. I hate it that we live in such a throw away society. Cheaper and quicker to replace than to fix, but it is mostly the way it is.

Anyway, its only four in the aft and I am tired and cranky. What a bunch of goings on. I think I will go out and kick the dog, its mostly his fault. That always makes me feel better.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Wow , if not to expensive Farrier get the old one fixed for a backup & you’ll probably never need it in your life time . Luck man
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 am

Wet snow blizzard going on here this morning. Didnt let chickens out. Shoveled a path through the drift at the door. Couldnt tell half an hour later. Plow and salt trucks going by. Glad I dont have to go anywhere today. Horse standing out in it with her butt to the wind, getting an ice shell built up. Sleet seems to be her favorite weather.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:16 am

Sorry about the flood farrier! It's snowing like mad here too.....working from home today. Seemed safer that driving in this stuff. lots to do. We didn't let the birds out either. they sure went in willingly yesterday with the rain and cold yesterday-even before dark. they new this was coming. Have a bit of a weird thing happen-we started the fall with 13 guineas. Now there are 14. counted at least 10 times, and there were definitely 13, and now there's definitely 14. wonder who in my neighbourhood is missing a guinea....? Or, if this is one of the wayward guineas from the spring that took off and is now coming back because it's cold out? hm. it's an adult, so not a fresh hatch or anything. weird. oh well. we can't catch any of them, so they just do what they do. i notice they're all in the barn too and not coming out for anything. Our horses are encased in snow, nice and fuzzy and warm underneath. Sure hope we have enough hay for the winter....might be looking early next year for more....sigh. always have this panic at the first real snowfall. whatever. i know some hay jockeys if i get desperate! sure is pretty out.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:21 pm

My husband had a guinea right in town at his work. No idea where it came from, impossible to catch, we did try.

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:42 am

kenya wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:21 pm
My husband had a guinea right in town at his work. No idea where it came from, impossible to catch, we did try.
My dad used to talk about guineas. I think he said they came from Italy.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Boy it is quiet around here, it may be time to start a controversy ;)

I have good news, since I have been trolling the neighborhood in an effort to socialize the puppy in a safe way, I tend to drive slowly in to obscure corners of the area and found an egg sign at the end of the driveway one concession away from my house.
Cooler at the end of the driveway, just the way I like to shop.
eggs look good enough to eat, which is more then I can say of the "store bought kind :)
eggs.....jpg

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Good eve! Sunday night. I hate this damp cold weather... wish it would be cold... and dry, and stay constant. I have not plugged in the heated buckets or gotten the fonts going in for the birds yet... so its nice actually (was -6C last night), but seems the 'winter chill' hasn't permeated the barn walls/boards yet.

Sold the livestock trailer today. Jeremy has order another.... its supposed to come soon?? They have shipped a few fat cattle... usually ALL the fats from the previous calf crop are gone now, and the calves are weaned. I keep hollaring that the heifers born in April will be bred, and then there will be bull s h i t. No one seems to care or listen. I've pretty much washed my hands of the cattle. Last time I bedded down the cows (Heather has taken to doing it....), my sciatica was SO bad, I had to go for Osteo once a week for 3 straight weeks. Was probably going to F it up today, but after I finally got them to move the log splitter (and the wood was a bit further from the splitter... I couldn't move those pieces anyhow... they were mostly round, but had a limb out here and there, and would roll only so far, then flop. They are huge pieces.. about 3 feet in diameter, or more!! Gary had split some with an axe, into 3... but try and roll a pie shaped piece. They flop and go sideways, first roll. I was yelling and carrying on, all the way back up here. Screw them. If they want wood cut.. they are going to have to realize I'm 60 now, and cannot piss around with stuff like I used to. Its been SO long since I've split wood now... 3 weeks.. and so out of shape too.
I live all by myself in my own world, NO one in it (except my animals) .. quite happily in my mind.

This farm isn't sold yet.... the accountant has finally gotten Jeremy's quickbooks settled and taxes done for 2019. NOTHING has been entered into quickbooks for 2020... and I suppose it will be me that has to do it, to get caught up to get this place sold, so we can finally have someone else pay the taxes, insurance, and FCC payments. The farm used to pay for all that... while we watch our bank account slowly deplete. I've talked to the accountant... last time I was curt.. and snotty. Nothing previous I'd done was getting no where. Told Gary Farm Credit will have the farm soon... as I don't care... when the payments stop coming out, because there IS no money... Jeremy will have to buy it from FCC. I guess Gary called him then.

So, next step is get the lawyer back on board... get this Corp set up.. get the corp accountants up to date on our accountants 'stuff', and get on with it. Ugh.

Got my garlic in October 30th. Hope it does well. Surrounded by bales now, and covered with leaves. Put in 196 cloves this year. I don't know why I grow so much, I rarely use it. lol.

Pullets WLLady hatched for me are laying well... the last bunch... some are only just starting. I can tell by the wee eggs. I had to sell 10 hens... got $30 a piece for them, and they guy was happy to have them. Same guy that paid me $100 for 2 in the spring, and then they got et by something. Oh well. I guess it happens. I paid off a feed bill. That sucks too. I have 31 left.

Fed the birds, and put a fire on at the cabin today. I like going back there. By myself. I take some kids occassionally.... but Covid has been a little too close for my liking lately. About 3 weeks ago... some kid in Jacobs class... (jeremys boy) and Saywers after school program had covid. So.. the kids (there were actually 2 sibs) weren't in school since the Nov. 17th. That Friday they should have been called. It wasn't until Monday night. I'd been IN Dave/Jess's house.. babysitting. I wear a mask.. because also Grace goes to Daycare. Heather and Jacob got tested (kid sat next to Jacob at school), both were negative.

A WEEK ago, this day, Melissa and the kids came over, and we golf carted to the cabin (her and maren on her lap... Mason sitting up against me)... and I had put a fire on previous... and we all sat inside, drank tea and apple juice (with the sliding doors open), for about an hour.

She texted me Monday night. "Scott just found out tonight... a buddy he went and helped Thursday (past) night was postive for Covid Yesterday. (sunday). And seems his wife tested positive on the Saturday. That ASS had scott over to help him with something.. knowing his PSW wife was waiting on Covid results. Jerk. So... Tuesday night, Scott went and got tested. 5 days after being exposed to that dick. His results Wed. night, were neg. So... they all stayed home all week last week from work, and the kids stayed home too. So, course, I had to babysit Sawyer Tuesday past... so I remotely 'watched' him, face timing, popping my head in the door.. watching him eat lunch while face timing... so he wouldn't choke or anything... GOD. This world is starting to wear me down. I've only been ONLINE shopping, and ordering from Walmart, and going and picking it up. I'm scared to go to Costco for my script tomorrow, or Tuesday, whenever I get the nerve to go. I hate it.

May go to my dads sometime this coming weekend. My mom is in hospital now, and will stay there, but just heard there may be an opening in LTC in Owen sound. Great, another 3/4 hr drive from Paisley to get there. Whenever there is an opening down this way, she will get to come here, then we can work on getting Dad to sell the house, get an apartment down here, so we can 'tend' to them both. If he survives the next year or so. With his COPD/Empheyma (I can never spell that word)... its a crap shoot. I've got so much on my mind, I don't sleep that great, once I wake up in the middle of the night. Oh well. Everyone has their problems... they are just different problems.

Well, someone has just entered my house, and peace and quiet just left the building.

Have a great week!

Return to “Around the Waterer”